Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was in Vegas last summer for my birthday for the Spence/Crawford fight. Had one of the best steak's I've ever had in my life that weekend. I forget what restaurant it was... Delmonico's I think?

How does this game run on the deck? Can't run well can it?

Looks like Delmonico’s is in the Venetian, I might check it out! 

If you played ps3 games late in its generation, kind of like that. Bad image quality and frequently dipping to the 20s but playable. I’ve played it there to just mindlessly grind a little but I wouldn’t want to waste any story scenes on that presentation. 

On 2/3/2024 at 2:26 PM, best3444 said:

This so much. 

You could get a “remaster” of them now for $10 by getting them all on deck where they would be a “remaster” of an upgrade over the console versions!

• Confused 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

How do they run on the deck?

Very well! Batman Aslylum > City you will be able to go up to 90fps if you have the deck oled to support that refresh rate. Knight I can’t remember if I locked 40 or 60 but it ran smooth without the stutter and looks fantastic on a handheld. John from DF just got an oled and was praising how it’s amazing to see how well that runs.

• Halal 1

These are the prices for the Batman games on cdkeys:

Batman Arkham Aslyum GOTY $1.89

Batman Arkham City GOTY $1.89

Batman Arkham Knight Premium Edition $5.09

Batman Origins $3.79

Definitely solid pickups for steam deck.

• Halal 1

15 hours ago, stepee said:

These are the prices for the Batman games on cdkeys:

Batman Arkham Aslyum GOTY $1.89

Batman Arkham City GOTY $1.89

Batman Arkham Knight Premium Edition $5.09

Batman Origins $3.79

Definitely solid pickups for steam deck.

Yea, but I have Arkham City and it's another Oblivion deal where there is no standard controls setup. I would need to mod it which I am not doing. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, but I have Arkham City and it's another Oblivion deal where there is no standard controls setup. I would need to mod it which I am not doing. 

There are definitely standard controls you can use without modding. It might have a splash screen or something that requires touchscreen, can’t remember, but the game definitely works fine with standard controls 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

There are definitely standard controls you can use without modding. It might have a splash screen or something that requires touchscreen, can’t remember, but the game definitely works fine with standard controls 

Interesting. Well I have Arkham City. What were you saying about making it look better etc?

Just now, best3444 said:

Interesting. Well I have Arkham City. What were you saying about making it look better etc?

Just by default it looks a lot better than the original console games. Higher res and runs at like three times the frame rate and has extra physics and stuff. 

• Shocked 1

Reading about what this game is and its story... it's very much not my speed from a gameplay or narrative POV. But it's cool to see DC lean into this stuff in their Rocksteadyverse, or whatever the hell it's called, for people who are into it.

Text article for the Digital Foundry review:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry verdict on Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League.

There's more, of course, but my basic feelings are this: Suicide Squad is not a mindblowing game but it's a handsome one with very impressive cutscenes mixed with a good looking but not stunning open world environment. The VFX work is quality too. I feel that pre-release media may have negatively coloured the viewer's impressions of these visuals, unfortunately, as its busy nature means that YouTube basically destroys most of the detail. It looks a lot nicer 'in person'.

In terms of the console comparisons, these are easily covered. As usual Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 look very similar, the main difference I noticed stems from a variation in how shadows are depicted and some minor LOD differences in like-for-like sequences. Everything else seems the same. Series S, however, is dialled back somewhat but it still largely holds up - at least in terms of what it's rendering. It is missing some things, however. Screen-space reflections, for instance, are completely disabled on Series S.

What is problematic is how all versions exhibit judder in cutscenes due to camera translation issues - this is not actually a performance problem as it's still running at 60 fps but it does make these scenes appear slightly less smooth than they should. Then there's image quality but in this case, the actual pixel counts really aren't that important for a reason I'll explain momentarily. Xbox Series X version seems to boast the highest resolution overall, often falling around 1728p or so in terms of countable pixel steps. In comparison, PS5 is more often in the 1440p range. Series X is visible sharper in person as a result. Series S seems to average roughly in the 900p range but actually looks worse.

Which brings us to the next platform - PC and this is where things start to get a little dicey. Proceedings kick off with a shader compilation screen, which is typically a good sign. After this, you're given the option to configure your settings - much like the other versions but with PC specific options as well. The graphics options menu has a fair few things available for adjustment including optional ray tracing. Naturally, I was inclined to enable this only to be informed that a reboot was required - OK, fair enough, but there's no way to quit from this screen so it requires Alt-F4 to exit the game.

However, restarting the game still has RT disabled, only this time you don't need to quit in order to turn it on. This makes little sense. In fact, the PC options menu has a lot of issues - primarily that there's so little information on what the various tweakables actually do and no preview images of the differences between the various settings. Then we get in-game. The tutorial areas make a decent first-impression - provided your frame-rate is capped at one of the available options. Also, I noted that RT enables ray traced reflections, which you wouldn't know otherwise as the game doesn't tell you.

So, everything seems OK initially but then we arrive in the city and it's here that it all comes tumbling down. There are several key issues to discuss. Firstly, there are profound frame-time inconsistencies including stuttering with a frequency that's up there with the infamous Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. There's a mix of both traversal and shader compilation stutter leading to an experience that feels somewhat unstable in practice.

Combine these things together and you're left with a stuttering, jerky experience - moving through the world feels bad. If we're having issues on PCs of this spec, though, you can imagine it's much worse on lower spec systems. So, moving from one extreme to the other, I then tested on my new Steam Deck OLED. To get a playable experience, I recommend dropping all settings to low. Anything above this and performance issues become magnified. I also recommend setting v-sync to off and frame-rate to either 60fps (LCD) or 90fps (OLED) depending on which Deck you're using. Then use the Deck's own frame-rate cap to lock at 30fps.

The problem is that no matter how low you go, the game has major hiccups and stutters. When it happens, it can be severe, causing the game to seize up for hundreds of milliseconds. It's not technically unplayable or anything but it definitely doesn't feel good. You'll also likely have to contend with dips below 30fps when things get busy. Image quality is also problematic on the Deck but I suggest either FXAA or TAA with a target resolution of 1280x800 without dynamic resolution scaling. I say this because DRS does not seem to work well currently causing huge dips in image quality for little performance gain. Furthermore, I recommend avoiding FSR 2 entirely - it absolutely destroys image integrity when upsampling from such low pixel counts.

Whether you're on Steam Deck or a high-end PC, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that Suicide Squad just isn't very good as a PC release. It's not unplayable, mind you, but has far more stutter than the console versions and has its own additional issues as well. It's not on the level of Arkham Knight's original PC port, mind you, but it's not that much better either. You cannot power your way through the issues.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: "impressive tech but the full package isn't quite there" (Digital Foundry technical review)

With 50 reviews, the time has come to make the OpenCritic post!

Game Information

Game Title: Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League

Platforms:

• PC (Feb 2, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 2, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 2, 2024)

Developer: Rocksteady Studios

Publisher: Warner Bros. Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 60 average - 17% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.2 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has overcome a rough pre-launch time after multiple delays.  While the objectives can feel repetitive the excellent gameplay never does.  This review will be out of date after a month or two because this is a live-service assed live-service game.  For fans of Destiny, The Division, and all the loot-focused games-as-a-service titles, this is a damned good one at launch. We'll see if they can continue to grow and improve it over time.

33bits - Spanish - 80 / 100

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is the new game from Rocksteady Studios and it comes to us surrounded by controversy, both due to the proposed business model, "game as a service", and for plot reasons. But outside of all this controversy surrounding the game we can find a good story about these anti-heroes, a dynamic, dizzying and even chaotic gameplay that will make us ask for more and more action, and Rocksteady's promise that there will be no shortage of content - free - that makes the game bigger and better. It is not perfect but if we like the proposal it is worth giving it a chance, at least we are going to have fun and laugh.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League isn’t just darkly hilarious; it’s a satisfying shooter no matter which of the four characters you play.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5

But there is plenty of wild action and adventure to be had in Suicide Squad.

Gaming Age - Matthew Pollesel - 8 / 10

I can’t help but love Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League. It’s not about to make you forget Rocksteady’s other games, but it’s not trying to, either. It’s a game that’s all about the simple joys of soaring through the air, blowing away aliens, and making funny quips afterwards – and there are far worse things for a game to be.

PC Invasion - Noah Nelson - 8 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is actually a good game. The good found in gameplay, cutscenes, and level design far outweigh the bad found in the campaign's pacing and some grisly missions and boss fights. Overall, I am pleasantly surprised with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, flaws and all, and will definitely be sticking around.

Pure Xbox - PJ O'Reilly - 8 / 10

Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League, despite all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth pre-release, has arrived in perfectly fine form. This is, at launch, one of the most polished looter shooters we've played, an action-packed superhero adventure that dishes up top-notch combat, tons of fan-service, excellent traversal (important for superheroes!), addicting loot, and plenty of surprises and shocks to boot. Yes, the story is artificially dragged out, mission types are repetitive and the store is a right royal rip-off, but the writing, the performances, core mechanics and incredible attention to detail here ensure that this is one squad of misfits who've managed to take the heat and survive intact.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 8 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is actually a really entertaining experience. The interesting narrative features countless jokes and one liners will have you chuckling over and over again. Admittedly the gameplay does take a little bit to adjust to, but it is really fun and chaining combos feels satisfying!

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 8 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a great game, which of course suffers from a few flaws that hopefully won't be repeated in future chapters of the story we'll get after release. If you're looking for a heavily comic-book-comedy adventure that you can additionally check out with your friends, or if you're a looter-shooter aficionado, then the game is definitely for you, especially since the game's future seems to be planned for quite a long time into the future.

Generación Xbox - Javier Gutierrez Bassols - Spanish - 78 / 100

In definitive, Suicide Squad: Kill tthe Justice League is a title with a great narrative, an impressive visual aspect and a great gameplay that make it a very enjoyable game.

The Games Machine - Claudio Magistrelli - Italian - 7.6 / 10

You can't think of combining the irreverent spirit of the Suicide Squad with a formula plastered around what are considered the most marketable fashions at the moment. The risk is twofold, that of creating a game that dresses badly around the protagonists, but also that of arriving out of time, to fashions that are now deflated. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League stumbles into both of these mistakes. Yet here and there flashes of funny situations emerge, the characters have charisma, the writing is good with excellent quality tips and Rocksteady know how to do their job technically. Let's hope the live service experiments with superhero groups are over here.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 75 / 100

Underneath all that layer of daily rewards, weapons with numerical percentages, and seasons full of promise, there's a genuinely funny and wildly fun Rocksteady game. A game that has turned out much better than we expected... But he also deserved much, much more.

Use a Potion - 7.5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League can be repetitive, but the excellent storytelling, fun gunplay, and gorgeous visuals save it from mediocrity. I’ve had a really good time with the game, especially when playing with friends, whilst seeing the unique and dark spin on what remains of the Arkham-verse is really refreshing.

It doesn’t always embrace its protagonists’ strengths, missions can get repetitive, and I don’t know if the live service aspects will keep me coming back in the long-term, but Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League still deserves credit for delivering an entertaining experience that feels befitting of the titular band of anti-heroes. It’s not perfect, but you’ll still have a good time saving the world as you kill the Justice League – especially if some friends join you for the ride.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 7 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a new path for the Arkham studio. It tries to be a balancing act between cool, staged story pieces and a well thought-out live service game, which unfortunately doesn't work out for either. Boring missions, repetitive sequences and an online constraint spoil the fun immensely. Even the thoroughly satisfying shooter gameplay and the interesting premise can't save much overall

GGRecon - Lloyd Coombes - 3.5 / 5

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, live service ambitions aside, is a fun shooter that feels like the closest you’ll get to a virtual DC Comics theme park; it looks great, and it’s full of recognisable characters.

And, like a theme park, much of it feels hollow, designed by a committee for a focus group that may not even exist anymore to keep them engaged and coming back. Despite this, and like every time I've been to a theme park, I've come away feeling like I've had fun, as forgettable as the specifics may be.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 7 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League can be a lot of fun to play, but the repetitive missions and lack of depth to its story and endgame content let it down.

Oyungezer Online - Onur Kaya - Turkish - 7 / 10

It's a game with a lot of potential with a tremendously enjoyable gameplay and some nice promises for the future, but has little content. It is definitely not as big a disaster as people say.

Push Square - Aaron Bayne - 7 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is a complicated game. It's tough not to think about what could have been if Rocksteady opted for another traditional single player title - especially since the split personalities at this game's heart stop it from reaching the heights of the developer's previous works. That said, despite all of our complaints, we can't deny that the game's fun. The story lacks the payoff but remains engaging throughout, the traversal-tinged combat is genuinely fantastic, it's a blast to play with friends, it's one of the best looking games on PS5, it runs like an absolute dream, and, as far as live-service games go, it's shaping up to be a meaty and generous offering. There is a bittersweet feeling surrounding Suicide Squad, and that sentiment will remain for a lot of players, but it's hard to say that Rocksteady entirely missed the mark with this big gamble.

WhatIfGaming - Bilawal Bashir - 7 / 10

Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League has the potential to be a great game, and there is already a lot to like here. Unfortunately, the short yet tedious side quests manage to drag down the overall enjoyment. Amazing animation work, voice acting, satisfying traversal, and some good jokes lift the experience, but it turns sour as soon as you have to save four NPCs for the 5th time. To make it a better game Rocksteady needs to make fundamental changes to the repetitive quests, especially to spice up the endgame.

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 68%

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is not a complete failure. An excellent presentation and some gripping story moments as well as a very good introduction provide a few hours of successful entertainment. Still, it's hard not to focus on the missed potential, whether that's the overly simplistic combat system, the characters playing very similarly, or the lack of motivation to continue playing after the story. Especially in multiplayer mode, the title can be fun, but the full price for it is not justified.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 6.8 / 10

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League but only in bursts and that's not enough to make me widely recommend it. If it took these fleeting moments of enjoyment and really ran with them, it could have been a great game. 🦹

PC Gamer - Morgan Park - 67 / 100

I'm optimistic about what Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League can become, but let down by what it is now.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 6.5 / 10

Regardless of your feelings about the Justice League, you can fun in Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League. Rocksteady did well with creating a story that can hit the heartstrings. Playing as each member of the squad brings their own unique forms of entertainment, where you’ll enjoy switching between each member as needed. But the writing and character growth can only do so much when the full package feels soulless.

Checkpoint Gaming - Pedro Cooray - 6.5 / 10

Thanks to the way Suicide Squad – and every game following the live service model – is structured, this review will probably be obsolete a year from now. The current (base?) version of the game is pulling its punches for now, to dole them out seasonally over the coming months and years. Based on player retention, there's no way to know if it'll be worth your while in the long term to jump into Suicide Squad at launch. But there's the kicker, you can get a lot out of it already, just not in the ways live service models are known for. A genuinely compelling narrative, a huge city to play in, and the prospect of playing with friends are a solid foundation to grow from, even if the repeatable mission design needs some work.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is not an absolute disaster, but it fails to reach the same levels of the excellent adventures of the Batman: Arkham series. The third-person shooter developed by Rocksteady Studios is certainly fun (especially when played together), dynamic and chaotic, but except for a good but not excellent gameplay it does not have much to offer in terms of overall quality.

Multiplayer First - James Lara - 6.5 / 10

Being a looter and a GaaS doesn’t mean you have to follow the genre’s norm, and Rocksteady had a real opportunity here to really be different from other Gaas looter shooters. There are some excellent mechanics in Suicide Squad that other looters should have, but in the end, they don’t do enough to carry it through with what’s there for the post-game. That is unless you like turning your brain off entirely, but that doesn’t make the criticism disappear. 

The studio chased after the promise of what GaaS could bring but, in doing so, forgot what made people love them so much. There are still moments of that seen in the campaign, and I would still recommend any fan to play it at one point. But here, right now? Probably not, at least not at the asking price for an incomplete experience.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 65 / 100

When trying to deliver a looter shooter in an already consolidated universe but showing another side and another approach, Rocksteady Studios only proved that the fans were right from the first glimpse of the game. There are notable positive points despite everything, as well as taking advantage of this cooperatively is fun for some time, but the decisions made did not prove to be the most appropriate and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League cannot stand out as a whole, being a product by the halves and without much creativity.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 6.5 / 10

It is difficult to judge a game like this. In a year's time, it could be something completely different. The campaign can be rewritten, expanded, modified. The gameplay can change, new characters, enemies, missions and so on can be added. Equally, a year from now, the servers may be down and the game box may just be an unusable artefact on a shelf somewhere. For now, though, it's like this. Good story, good co-op, good action and an absolutely great audio experience. But on top of that, some uninteresting missions, technical problems & outdated graphics.

The Jimquisition - James Stephanie Sterling - 6.5 / 10

There are so many of these bloody games on the market now, all vying for attention, all doing the same thing, and none of them doing enough of anything good. This is just one in a line of flimsy “service” games, light on original content but plenty heavy on microtransactions. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has its moments of messy fun, but those moments are entrenched between gulfs of numbingly inane “looter shooter” nonsense.

Atarita - İdil Barbaros - Turkish - 60 / 100

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a game that wastes most of its potential, despite its fun characters, dystopian world and different storyline.

Dexerto - Patrick Dane - 3 / 5

I’m rooting for Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League though. There is enough here to suggest that Rocksteady has a grasp of what could make this game great. It will take effort and some big releases, but despite having an uneven experience overall, I’ve left relatively favorable. It has a rebellious spirit that makes it endearing. For all the noise around the game, from those fighting loudly in its corner and those trying to tear it apart, I’ve left with an unceremonious “Yeah, it’s pretty good” with a tinge of hope to boot. There is a world where the game has a future, and it’s a multiverse I’d like to live in.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 3 / 5

Despite rare graceful and fun moments, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is the worst kind of experience you can interact with: you won't feel particularly disgusted for taking the time to it, but you'll also feel like you don't lose anything if you don't play it. It's a game that arouses indifference and that's the worst thing that can be said about an interactive experience, the inability to excite and leave memories.

Everyeye.it - Mario Petillo - Italian - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League could have been saved, in its evaluation, by the narrative plot: beyond what is the goodness of writing of the protagonists, however, there is nothing else, because even the idiosyncrasies with the comic book counterparts clash before the eyes of passionate readers.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a title that evokes mixed feelings. At times the game excels for its action and humor, but it also struggles with the challenges of its 'game as a service' model. The constant repetition of the same missions and the push for daily assignments can become quite frustrating at a certain point. The biggest frustration, however, is the wasted potential. It's clear that a linear single-player game is much more suitable for Suicide Squad. Rocksteady's attempt to get players to grind for better weapons and gear just isn't fun enough.

Game Informer - Matt Miller - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad is technically sound, and the action can be fast, frantic, and occasionally fun. The game could be considered a deconstruction and satirizing of the superhero concept. But for me, the whole thing feels mean-spirited, pessimistic, and glib. In other media, I’ve generally liked the irreverence of the Suicide Squad tales, but everything in this game feels less about laughs and more just joyless. I suppose it can be fun to piss all over any sense of genuine heroism in a comic book-inspired tale, but it can’t come as a great shock when some fans like myself just aren’t interested in the bloody and smug results.

GamePro - Dennis Michel - German - 60 / 100

Suicide Squad is a shadow of what once made Rocksteady one of the best developers for open world action games.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 6 / 10

Being a live-service game with plenty of content to come post-launch, it’s impossible to say right now whether Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League will have legs. There’s certainly the possibility of it getting better in the future, if missions can be made more interesting and loot can lead to more unique builds. At the moment, though, when the campaign is the main focus and there’s limited endgame content, it’s hard to not be disappointed by what’s on offer. This isn’t a bad game by any means, but poor mission variety and some other minor issues really do suck much of the fun out of it.

Gamefa - Persian - 6 / 10

Although Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League had so much potential that could have been used properly, we are left with a game that suffers so much from different issues. from poor UI design to repetitive missions. That being said combat is fun and RPG elements have been implemented properly.

INVEN - Seungjin Kang - Korean - 6 / 10

A plausible recipe, regrettable ingredient, miscooking. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League also presents attractive gameplay and story production, but an obsession with the directionless open world and the legacy of the Arkham series has ruined the game.

MondoXbox - Alessandro Rindolli - Italian - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League brings on our screens a new compelling Arkhamverse story coupled with an entertaining gameplay loop. However, it fails to keep our interest high past the first hours, due to the lack of a deeper structure and a more varied gameplay. Overall, this results in a disappointing experience, especially for a game with live service ambitions. Our hopes for improvement are pinned on future content updates and solid post-launch support.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League's outstanding visuals and fun freeflowing gameplay can't save it from feeling like a forced live service game constantly at odds with itself creatively.

Play Watch Read - Jorian Non - Dutch - 6 / 10

'Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League' is a good looking game with a nice story. The controls are sometimes a bit difficult, but it doesn't play badly. Unfortunately, the gameplay in the open world is sometimes very monotonous. The fan will enjoy it, but should not set his expectations too high.

Screen Rant - Jason Hon - 3 / 5

A multiplayer game about killing the Justice League from the creators of the Batman Arkham trilogy fails to revolutionize an oversaturated genre.

Spaziogames - Marcello Paolillo - Italian - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad is a flawed game, a partial disaster for every Batman fan and for anyone who doesn't digest the Game as a Service (GaaS) structure that Kill the Justice League imposes.

TheSixthAxis - Gareth Chadwick - 6 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a perfect example of how live services can sap all the energy out of a game experience. The story, the character and gameplay all range from good to fantastic, but the missions grow stale before too long, the loot system's few bright spots are tarnished by the chore of everything else you earn, and the story and characters all but evaporate once you reach the endgame.

BaziCenter - بهرام بی غرض - Persian - 6 / 10

Simply put, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is one of the most disappointing releases in recent years. The game is so fundamentally broken that even the promises of extra content and DLCs are unlikely to save it, leaving the fans to wonder why a studio like Rocksteady with such a strong resume would end up making something this bad.

GamingTrend - Adam Moreno - 55 / 100

After waiting and waiting and waiting, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League's brilliant movement mechanics can't save an unfortunately short campaign that "ends" relying on the game being live-service to add story as they go through the different seasons. While playing as each of the Suicide Squad feels unique to each character, the reveal of Joker coming to the game in Spring with more playable characters on the way, I'd say wait for a deal because it's not worth $70 in its current state.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 5.5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is a serviceable action game bogged down by an insistence on being a live service title. While the characters are well written and the comedy is on point, a handful of repetitive objective types betray the intentions of an otherwise strong combat system. There is potential here – perhaps over time, Suicide Squad can evolve into something better – but for now, it's something that only absolute diehards will enjoy, and even then, that's not a guarantee.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 2.5 / 5

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League constantly finds ways to stop players from enjoying this bombastic cooperative shooter.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 2.5 / 5

The game embodies the very essence of the Suicide Squad: chaotic, unpredictable, and undeniably entertaining, yet not without its share of missteps. It’s a journey through the highs and lows of superhero gaming, leaving players to navigate its tumultuous skies with a mixture of awe and occasional frustration. “Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League” might not soar to the heights of Rocksteady’s previous works, but it doesn’t entirely miss the mark either.

GameSpot - Mark Delaney - 5 / 10

Rocksteady's first game in nearly a decade can't shake the superhero-as-a-service genre's ubiquitous feeling that it exists to keep players mindlessly engaged.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League isn't the worst live-service title ever made, but its mediocrity is hard to deny, especially from a developer capable of so much more.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is a bland looter shooter with frustrating mechanics built on the foundations of a live service game.

IGN - Simon Cardy - 5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a repetitive and bland looter-shooter that, despite an engaging story, never stays fun for long enough.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 50 / 100

Rocksteady's attempt at a pure action game with loot and live service mechanics isn't the worst thing out there, but it isn't exactly brimming with excitement. While shy of reaching the heights of Destiny or even the two Division games from Ubisoft, Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League stands mildly tall at being just competent and serviceable, with one or two key story moments that are genuinely well-done.

Siliconera - Cory Dinkel - 5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League isn't horrible, but it's bland and uninteresting and that may be worse. The real insult here is that Rocksteady Games had all the tools to do something great and innovative and just made a by-the-book live-service game instead.

TheGamer - Stacey Henley - 2.5 / 5

I didn’t hate Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice Leaague, but that’s only because it’s hard to feel anything too strongly about a game like this. This might be the most rinse and repeat a game of this stature has ever rinsed and repeated, and the fact it delivers good interpretations (though not Arkham accurate) of established characters is its only saving grace. With each new bundle of content likely to be low on narrative and chock full of the same missions (probably with a new name that play exactly the same way), it feels like Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is only going to get worse from here.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 5 / 10

A mediocre story with a lazy design with an Unispired live service aspect. It has some positive aspects, but even these aspects do not justify the 70$ price tag

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 5 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has a sprinkling of that classic Rocksteady charm, delivering polished visuals, fluid traversal and combat, and some snappy repartee, but the whole experience is bogged down by dreary, repetitive mission design, empty live service elements, and a feel-bad story that’s mean-spirited to the point of feeling oddly resentful. Perhaps most damning, not even the thing promised in the game’s title – fighting and dispatching the Justice League – ends up being particularly fun or memorable. Those who really want to see what becomes of the Arkhamverse may not be able to resist picking this up, but I suggest waiting for a steep discount before subjecting yourself to this tedious team-up.

We Got This Covered - David James - 2.5 / 5

I wish this was a complete disaster, but the glimpses of the old Rocksteady razzle-dazzle under the awful mission design and exhausting live service elements make you mourn what could have been. A critical stumble for a great developer and, sadly, one I suspect it's going to be difficult to recover from.Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Areajugones - Ramón Gutiérrez - Spanish - 4 / 10

Is this the same Rocksteady Studios that made the legendary Batman: Arkham? Honestly, I don't know, but the game doesn't fulfill in hardly any of its various sections, being an adventure that I would only recommend if you decide to buy it at a price well below what it is currently at.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 4 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a tough pill to swallow. With bad gameplay mechanics and multiple server issues, its sad to see such a great developer fall so far.

Capsule Computers - Admir Brkic - 4 / 10

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is a soulless live service product with a video game wrapped around it as an afterthought.

Guardian - Tom Regan - 2 / 5

This fourth adaptation of DC's least-likely heroes combines an inspired storyline with some very pedestrian combat

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 4 / 10

The combat is good, and the script has its moments, but otherwise this is a highly repetitive open world shooter that makes very poor use of its licence.

TheReviewGeek - Greg Wheeler - 3 / 10

Suicide Squad has zero redeeming features. It's a game that tries to be edgy and fails. It tries to be fun but fails. And above all else, it tries to appeal to a wide audience and appeals to nobody. This is a lazy, poorly written mess that deserves to be treated the same way Batman is in this game - like disposable trash that's thrown out after a monologue about how bad it is.

Chicas Gamers - Juanma Luengo - Spanish - Unscored

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is a mix game, with a frenetic and fun playable proposal, but with certain technical shortcomings due to its hybrid design between an MMO and an open-world RPG. Its story, despite not being too complex, allows the player to grow fond of each of these criminals with double intentions thanks to brilliantly written dialogues. It is a title that takes a certain amount of time to make you fall in love with it (we particularly liked it) and even then it is possible that you end up abandoning it... We fear that there is not going to be a middle ground and the criticisms abound much more than the applause.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is not a bad game, it's just ... boring. The solid shooter gameplay mechanics quickly turn into a monotonous slog. This is mainly due to the uninteresting missions, boring upgrades and the lack of gameplay variation between the characters. The monotonous shooting is more fun with real team members. However, if you prefer to play the game alone, the online constraints are annoying. The promised new content sounds good in theory. But unless the new characters and locations fundamentally change the game mechanics, I won't be returning to Metropolis any time soon.

Duuro Magazine - Krist Duro - Recommended

Rocksteady clearly cares for these characters and world, but the open-world and looter shooter conventions chosen don't serve the story or gameplay well. It might eventually get better, but who knows?

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Wait

Suicide Squad starts super fun, as its visual presentation and plot set-up work as its strongest points to draw us into Rocksteady’s interpretation of Justice League. However, once the novelty ends, we’re left with a chaotic mess that gets tedious the more you play.

Due to its repetitive gameplay loop and messy combat system, playing the game can get tiring pretty quickly once you complete its brief campaign. Fans will be divided, and given its rushed resolution, lack of nuance, and gratuitous display of how it handled DC’s beloved characters, the game can easily be misunderstood.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Steve Hogarty - Unscored

Rocksteady's latest is a giddy little action-shooter bogged down by conventional loot-chasing guff

Skill Up - Ralph Panebianco - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Stevivor - Jay Ball - Unscored

Currently, I’m roughly 9-10 hours in to Suicide Squad and I feel pretty confident I’ve seen all that it has to offer by way of gameplay. To be honest, I don’t really want to spend any more time with it. That not how this works, of course — I’ve not yet spent enough time to properly score this fairly and accurately because we received our review code three days after the refund window closed on the die-hard DC fans that forked out ridiculous sums for early access, and only 13 hours before its general release. Do what you will with that information.

VG247 - Fran J. Ruiz - Unscored

As I approach the end game portion of the game, where we’re supposed to spend many more hours, and tinker with the online experience, which takes away the cool option to switch from one character to another on the go, I fear that the bland and uninspired will eventually overtake the awesome part of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. It’s an extremely funny, well-made, and once-traditional co-op game stuck in a live service cage that makes it sadder and more tiring as time goes on. Will the most demanding content in the game convince players to stick around and actually engage with the ‘numbers go up’ systems? I don’t think so, but I’m not writing it off just yet.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
12 hours ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Batman Arkham City looked half way decent like you said. I didn't see many graphic settings though. It has aged in the gameplay department though. I don't see myself playing it.

well yeah it’s very very old :P

• Haha 1

I think a lot (not all) of the “journalist” reviews are reviewing the game based on what they wished it was and on Rock Steady’s previous games rather than the game that’s there. Most of the user impressions/reviews seem to generally say “it’s fun, just not $70 fun”

• True 1

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think a lot (not all) of the “journalist” reviews are reviewing the game based on what they wished it was and on Rock Steady’s previous games rather than the game that’s there. Most of the user impressions/reviews seem to generally say “it’s fun, just not $70 fun”

I think that's been the knock against this game since it was revealed... it's basically a co-op third person looter shooter when folks probably wanted an actual JLA game where you get to play as members of the Justice League which is what the rumors said we were getting early on. When this was revealed people were sour from day one and never gave it a fair shot :shrug: I'm getting my money's worth. Game is worth playing for the story alone and now that I have an idea of what the actual end game is, this game will definitely be in my rotation for awhile.

On 2/6/2024 at 11:12 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Was listening to Rebel FM for the first time in years.  Boy, does Arthur Gies REALLY hate this game.

I listen to it regularly but have been slacking lately. My tastes in games generally line up with his so this is an avoid till bundle/bargain bin game for me. 

This game's story man :p I haven't laughed this much since the Guardians game. I'm in the end game now having beat the main campaign... in addition to The Joker, and

Spoiler

Mr. Freeze 

who has been leaked apparently, I suspect the other two DLC characters will be Killer Croc and Peacemaker. Can't think of who another female character would be that would fit this game except for Cheshire maybe.