EA announces "Skate"

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Were these Skate games any good? I've never played any of them. Despite owning - I think - two games from the series. 

I remember trying the first game at release, thinking "damn this doesn't feel like Tony Hawk". And then never touched any of them again. Never got into the hype about them. I had a friend who was obsessed with one of them (forget which). 

• 2 months later...

I CANT WAIT!!!!!  I absolutely love the Skate series. 

there have been so many skating games since that have tried to recreate the feel of the controls and they fall short. Honorable mentions are session and skater XL, but they arent skate. the ungoldy amount of hours me and my friends spent scoping a line, calling out tricks and then trying to nail it perfectly is insane. To this day, me and my son still play…and hes gotten his friends into it too (now if only i could get them on a real skateboard). 

if you dont get the hype, its probably because you never skated. This game does an amazing job of capturing the feel  of real skating without getting arcadey. But whats fun about the game, esp skate 3, is there are arcadey elements if you wanted to play that way. 

my only gripe at all is that this dev team wasnt given a chance to explore other action sports with these controls. They are perfeft for snowboarding, surfing and BMX. Bring back California Games!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Resetera must be a younger crowd, they seem more forgiving to this.

Yeah just can’t help but have any hype completely deflated whenever I hear f2p still. I haven’t found the f2p game I actually really like still so it’s always just the bad parts I think of.

I don't think it sounds too bad. Free to play isn't the death sentence it used to be and there are plenty of free to play games out there that are great.

This ensures the game will have a huge community and you'll be skating around with a bunch of folks doing events and stuff. If the game is good and you don't want to spend a penny you'll be playing it for free. I mean payed or not cosmetics were always probably going to cost something and now you'll probably earn it through some sort of "battle pass" or have the option to buy it outright. Sounds fine to me.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think it sounds too bad. Free to play isn't the death sentence it used to be and there are plenty of free to play games out there that are great.

This ensures the game will have a huge community and you'll be skating around with a bunch of folks doing events and stuff. If the game is good and you don't want to spend a penny you'll be playing it for free. I mean payed or not cosmetics were always probably going to cost something and now you'll probably earn it through some sort of "battle pass" or have the option to buy it outright. Sounds fine to me.

Your optimism is encouraging. 

I don't know how I feel about it being a "Live Service" and EA is counting on micro transactions to fund the game. The free-to-play thing is...fine, I guess. I dunno, guess we'll see. 

What’s a P2W Skate game look like? If things like tricks and better boards are locked behind purchases and/or an extended XP grind, that could annoying. But if it’s primarily cosmetics, let dummies buy up all that shit and enjoy a free game!