Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Finally a date! I loved FW and I can’t wait to finally play Burning Shores along with 4k/120fps.

Maybe I'll give it another go on the deck. Did you beat this on PS5? What were your thoughts on Aloy?

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Maybe I'll give it another go on the deck. Did you beat this on PS5? What were your thoughts on Aloy?

I beat the main game on ps5 but I didn’t play Burning Shores because I figured this was coming and wanted some new content to play while checking it out on pc.

I like Aloy well enough. Yes, she talks a bit too much during gameplay, mostly annoying when it’s giving away the solution to a puzzle you would rather figure out for yourself. But this is more of a AAA game in general issue as a lot of games do this. some hide it better because they have a companion character with you for more of it.

Beyond that I like her general personality. She is anti social and awkward which makes sense as someone who grew up as an outcast to society that only had real contact with one person and was constantly told she is nothing by everyone else. Unlike a lot of game characters, she gives zero fucks about bowing to authority which I really appreciate.

• Halal 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:18 PM, best3444 said:

The first one is great. Forbidden West was ok but they made Aloy aka Blake Griffin extremely annoying which bogged down the experience. You couldn't even figure out a "puzzle" without her talking her ass off ruining any cool element you'd could have figured out on your own. 

lolwut

59 minutes ago, best3444 said:

They definitely made her more manly looking in Forbidden West. I thought she was pretty is Zero Dawn. Not so much in West. 

WWW.HEALTHGRADES.COM

Find out how Healthgrades can help you find and compare Radiologists near me. By weighing reviews and other important factors, we can help you find the right care.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

They definitely made her more manly looking in Forbidden West. I thought she was pretty is Zero Dawn. Not so much in West. 

Yea noticed that too, was odd. 

My 4090 will happily feast on the pc release 

• Thanks 1

I always found the Aloy isn't that attractive stuff odd since while Aloy might not be Lara Croft, she'd be more attractive than most women. Or are people just mad that when this hits PC they won't have as much interest in titty mods for her?

32 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I always found the Aloy isn't that attractive stuff odd since while Aloy might not be Lara Croft, she'd be more attractive than most women. Or are people just mad that when this hits PC they won't have as much interest in titty mods for her?

Na. She is fine looking in Forbidden West but is more manly looking is all. I honestly don't care about her looks. It's her personality I can't stand. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Men are really fucking weird about the attractiveness of female video game characters. 

Criiiiinge. 

I dare you to read the comments to the Tomb Raider remake collection reviews coming out next week!

• Sad 1

Just now, best3444 said:

@CastlevaniaNut18

Nobody is making a big deal out of Aloy's looks. All I personally said was they made her look more manly in Forbidden West which I don't give two shits about. I can't stand her personality in the game and she doesn't shut up. 

I didn't specifically call anyone out in this thread, but I've not even played the games and I've seen the utter hate the character gets from the toxic gaming community. So yeah, people do make a big deal out of it and it's pathetic.

24 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I didn't specifically call anyone out in this thread, but I've not even played the games and I've seen the utter hate the character gets from the toxic gaming community. So yeah, people do make a big deal out of it and it's pathetic.

I never read anything toxic about her personally. The only thing I've seen is Biggie calling her Blake Griffin which he is clearly joking about. She looks perfectly fine. 

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I don’t get how anyone can get excited over polygons, when pixel art is like right THERE

Tell that to bacon. Guys jerks off to anime. 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

But really, as someone who gets horny for both the male and female form, I do not understand this. Theoretically I should be twice as bad about this, but...they're polygons. I don't wanna fuck em.

I think guys are just built differently. They make these characters to look good and as a guy you think, "if that was real I would"

Ask any kid growing up when they watched Rescue Rangers and saw Gadget. It's like something awakened inside of you.

12 minutes ago, legend said:

I think she's just not made up or glamourous looking. But that fits the theme of the game. She looks like she should in that world. Aloy is primarily focused on function, not aesthetics.

All I pointed out was that they did make her more manly looking in Forbidden West. I played Zero Dawn and West back to back and that was something that jumped out to me.

I have no issue with it and she is still pretty fir a videogame character. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

All I pointed out was that they did make her more manly looking in Forbidden West. I played Zero Dawn and West back to back and that was something that jumped out to me.

I have no issue with it and she is still pretty fir a videogame character. 

The comment wasn't a criticism of you. It was a general comment on her appearance :) 

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I wouldn't expect them to be over-the-top.

it does make me wonder if they are struggling to optimize for the low end to have it playable by as many PC gamers as possible. Like they dont want to seemingly commit to anything until they know they cant go any lower. 

lol or maybe they forgot to announce them. 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:29 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So, less than 3 weeks and no official released PC requirements? Interesting. 

On 3/2/2024 at 11:29 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

I wouldn't expect them to be over-the-top.

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Nixxes and Guerrilla detail PC specs and customization options.

Screenshot-2024-03-05-094157.png

• Thanks 1

Not getting 60fps with anything less than a 3060? Hmm. Though I guess low settings on like a 1080 or 2070 could probably hit 60fps. 

those minimum specs are interesting. That’s lower than I thought they’d be able to get running the game. 

and that’s without ray tracing. Which is a shame.