Horizon Forbidden West - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry hands-on with PC version

SaysWho?

I am still quite early in the game. I miss the whistle. Aloy talks more but forgot how to to whistle. Booo. I really need this game to open the world up soon. lol This slow burn before the world opens up felt like it made more sense in Zero Dawn when we were all new to the world and mechanics. 

Game is definitely a looker. Everywhere looks like they packed even more detail into the world. 4k with everything on high and DLAA the game really pops. I tried with frame gen turned on, but it looked a little janky, like vertical blinds, so I turned it off. Game stays above 60fps anyways.

I do not like the underwater controls and in tight spaces they feel even worse.

still, feels good to be back and exploring this world again.  

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I am still quite early in the game. I miss the whistle. Aloy talks more but forgot how to to whistle. Booo. I really need this game to open the world up soon. lol This slow burn before the world opens up felt like it made more sense in Zero Dawn when we were all new to the world and mechanics.

Oh don't worry, the game opens up and when it does the open world is enormous.

Well I mean fuck hardly anything looks this good. Maxed out with 4k dlaa/120fps and the art along with the image quality my goodness what a change from the ps5 performance mode launch version!

• True 2
  • Hype 1

Man though you take for granted I guess what “only” a few higher level settings and higher res/fps means. I booted up a new ps5 save to go back and forth and it’s a pretty damn major difference between them. It’s just you forget how far beyond image quality on pc is these days. 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man though you take for granted I guess what “only” a few higher level settings and higher res/fps means. I booted up a new ps5 save to go back and forth and it’s a pretty damn major difference between them. It’s just you forget how far beyond image quality on pc is these days. 

Which mode did you play on PS5? That's really impressive that it looks that much better. 

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Get Kingdom Come on deck instead, it’s like $5 and looks amazing on it

Is this any good?

The intro area to the game is just so lush and dense. Almost feels like the color saturation in vegetation is unnatural, but it all looks so good. It is a stark contrast to the dead and decaying ruins of the old world with its faded and darker colors on anything that isnt emitting light or overlayed/revealed by the Focus. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Which mode did you play on PS5? That's really impressive that it looks that much better. 

Is this any good?

I looked at different modes just now and would play in performance mode myself but even fidelity mode, it’s so much softer than pc, and then it’s running at 30fps vs 120fps, it’s like night and day. 

I heard it’s pretty good, like skyrim and leaning hard into the simulation of life stuff and advanced tech wise. I just got it myself cuz I saw the df switch video and that it was $5.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I looked at different modes just now and would play in performance mode myself but even fidelity mode, it’s so much softer than pc, and then it’s running at 30fps vs 120fps, it’s like night and day. 

I heard it’s pretty good, like skyrim and leaning hard into the simulation of life stuff and advanced tech wise. I just got it myself cuz I saw the df switch video and that it was $5.

That's fuckin impressive it looks that good. Lucky bastard. 

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The intro area to the game is just so lush and dense. Almost feels like the color saturation in vegetation is unnatural, but it all looks so good. It is a stark contrast to the dead and decaying ruins of the old world with its faded and darker colors on anything that isnt emitting light or overlayed/revealed by the Focus. 

It’s definitely a design decision to have the saturation as such but it is what hurt the look on ps5 the most. It’s why people super freaked out at the original performance mode. They tried too low res to where they had to over sharpen and it looks horrible with the saturation. They toned it down and made it look better but more than last games DLAA really shines here with letting the colors sing.

I only played about 45 minutes of the beginning tutorial section.  But agreed, the saturation is great.  Plus the HDR really pops on the technological lights on the robots/focus effects/etc.

I didn't notice any stutter at all, seemed locked >90+ fps on my 4080 -- everything on max.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It’s definitely a design decision to have the saturation as such but it is what hurt the look on ps5 the most. It’s why people super freaked out at the original performance mode. They tried too low res to where they had to over sharpen and it looks horrible with the saturation. They toned it down and made it look better but more than last games DLAA really shines here with letting the colors sing.

You're not using DLSS?

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I only played about 45 minutes of the beginning tutorial section.  But agreed, the saturation is great.  Plus the HDR really pops on the technological lights on the robots/focus effects/etc.

I didn't notice any stutter at all, seemed locked >90+ fps on my 4080 -- everything on max.

You're not using DLSS?

No Im using DlAA - in regular gameplay it’s still locking 116 so far - cinemas dip to the 70s but it’s not super noticeable. DLAA is just dlss but rendering native then using the tensor cores for AA basic.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Please don’t buy it again best but I’m finding it to run okay on deck. Playing on low at 1052p and it is actually quite stunning for a handheld game. Locking to 30fps on the deck os

How do you get it to 1052p? Is that just the resolution that's usually 1200 i believe? Anything else I can do? I'm definitely buying it again if it looks good. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How do you get it to 1052p? Is that just the resolution that's usually 1200 i believe? Anything else I can do? I'm definitely buying it again if it looks good. 

Sorry I meant 1152 - 1152x720p:

0iOzieV.jpg

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok I'll take your word for it. But you said it looks quite stunning. :(

I haven’t seen a drop below 30fps myself but I just did low with a res cap, but Idk how it gets later 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I haven’t seen a drop below 30fps myself but I just did low with a res cap, but Idk how it gets later 

I'm going to pass on this. Will there be a chance it could run better down the road with some sort of patch?

18 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're not using DLSS?

Not sure if it was clear, but DLAA is better. It's DLSS except instead of going from a lower res to your native res, it goes from native res to native res. Which sounds weird, but the training of the neural net used is always to a higher resolution target (that may then be downscaled to your native res), so the model is basically predicting what the idealized by higher computationally complex AA would do.

At least that's my understanding. There's another way it could be done which is native res with DLSS upscaled to high res and then downscaled, but I don't think they're doing that.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

Not sure if it was clear, but DLAA is better. It's DLSS except instead of going from a lower res to your native res, it goes from native res to native res. Which sounds weird, but the training of the neural net used is always to a higher resolution target (that may then be downscaled to your native res), so the model is basically predicting what the idealized by higher computationally complex AA would do.

At least that's my understanding. There's another way it could be done which is native res with DLSS upscaled to high res and then downscaled, but I don't think they're doing that.

I've just gotten into the habit of turning on DLSS Quality + frame gen for everything.  Since the cut scenes seem to run at a lower fps, I thought that was the right move.

Flipped over to DLAA and in game I am at 100+ fps, so that seems like the better choice.

It's really amazing how Guerilla/Nixxes has this game looking so good, and still getting great performance.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've just gotten into the habit of turning on DLSS Quality + frame gen for everything.  Since the cut scenes seem to run at a lower fps, I thought that was the right move.

Flipped over to DLAA and in game I am at 100+ fps, so that seems like the better choice.

It's really amazing how Guerilla/Nixxes has this game looking so good, at still getting great performance.

It’s damn stunning looking 

• True 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's really amazing how Guerilla/Nixxes has this game looking so good, and still getting great performance.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:57 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

This game ran on a PS4, I think almost anything can run this to some extent.

Well according to yourself it ran on a PS4 so is it amazing or not? :p