Game Gear Micro Announced

Brian

So saw the latest news. I still think this is cool but 4 games per unit at $50 is too low. It really should be 8-10 per unit at $40. Yet what do I know, it seems they've mostly sold out on amazon already. :lol: I get the feeling these might not leave japan but if they do they should really be for $40 and maybe change up the game selection (like make one all sonic, one a bunch of action games, one a bunch of disney games). Heck i'm a bit shocked there isn't a unit with shooters on it. GG Aleste 1 & 2 are quite popular and expensive games.

I'll probably end up with the set sometime in the future. :) 

-edit-

I should update an old point. This was not the huge famitsu scoop. That was actually cloud gaming for arcades. =/

29 minutes ago, chakoo said:

So saw the latest news. I still think this is cool but 4 games per unit at $50 is too low. It really should be 8-10 per unit at $40. Yet what do I know, it seems they've mostly sold out on amazon already. :lol: I get the feeling these might not leave japan but if they do they should really be for $40 and maybe change up the game selection (like make one all sonic, one a bunch of action games, one a bunch of disney games). Heck i'm a bit shocked there isn't a unit with shooters on it. GG Aleste 1 & 2 are quite popular and expensive games.

I'll probably end up with the set sometime in the future. :) 

-edit-

I should update an old point. This was not the huge famitsu scoop. That was actually cloud gaming for arcades. =/

Yeah, I just read that. I'm not so interested any more.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/3/21278895/sega-game-gear-micro-games-list-price-magnifying-glass

The black model comes with:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Puyo Puyo 2

Out Run

Royal Stone

The blue variant includes:

Sonic Chaos

Gunstar Heroes

Sylvan Tale

Baku Baku Animal

The yellow Game Gear Micro has:

Shining Force Gaiden: Ensei – Jashin no Kuni he

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya

Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict

Nazopuyo Aruru no Ru

And the red version is preloaded with:

Revelations: The Demon Slayer

Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible Special

The GG Shinobi

Columns

I'm even ok with the 1.15" screen, but the game selection is awful. Maybe if this thing ever comes States' side, Sega will rethink the game selection and go for a single unit with more games.

I should look through my GG collection to see how many of these titles I already have. =/

34 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m legitimately confused about excitement for this. I remember game gear as having “lesser” versions/ports of genesis games and almost nothing unique. Did I miss some big hits or something?

Nah Game Gear had some great games as it went into extending off what the Master System did. There are tons of games I found later that were great that I didn't even know about back when I had a GG as a kid. So if you look at it through the lens of GG vs GB/GBC vs Lynx it had some great stuff. The system just is not remembered very well due to the screen and amount of batteries it ate through. 

Yooo 4 games? wtf

I had a game gear as a kid and would be in the market for this but not with four games. If it’s hacked to add your own roms and it’s still around then I’d get one. 

It’s weird, Sega is always so generous with their Genesis collections.

36 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yooo 4 games? wtf

I had a game gear as a kid and would be in the market for this but not with four games. If it’s hacked to add your own roms and it’s still around then I’d get one. 

It’s weird, Sega is always so generous with their Genesis collections.

Just use your GPD Win sucka!

The more I see the marketing on this device. Since this seems to be positioned as a novelty toy more than anything, I get the feeling we might see a lot of 1 off variants on this with other games which might explain why there is only 4 games on it instead of a single unit with tons on them. =/ 

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

What ever happened to that hand crank mobile gaming machine.  Forgot its name.

As said, play.date, Still in development. I tried to get one of the devkits and wasn't picked. :( (wanted to possibly do a music or fishing based game) This just happen a month ago. 

spacer.png

For fun I decided to look at my GG bin of games over lunch to see how many of these games I actually already have.

I end up only having 5 of them. I thought I had a few more. =/ 

spacer.png

For curriosity, I do actually have a small handful of boxed GG games but none of them are the games listed for the Micro.