Game Gear Micro Announced

Brian

18 minutes ago, chakoo said:

spacer.png

For fun I decided to look at my GG bin of games over lunch to see how many of these games I actually already have.

I end up only having 5 of them. I thought I had a few more. =/ 

spacer.png

For curriosity, I do actually have a small handful of boxed GG games but none of them are the games listed for the Micro.

I forgot about those clear game cases. My younger sister adopted my Game Gear when I was done with it. Years later I got it back and all the cases were gone and the games were... well worn. I'll have to dig them out tonight. I don't even remember what games I had. 

2 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I forgot about those clear game cases. My younger sister adopted my Game Gear when I was done with it. Years later I got it back and all the cases were gone and the games were... well worn. I'll have to dig them out tonight. I don't even remember what games I had. 

I love the plastic game cases that GB & GG had. It was sad when companies stop using them. :( You can buy remade replacements online or some small retro shops will have some that they will sell. 

35 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I think I like the blue one but one game I don’t know about at all of the 4.

Which game, sylvan tale or baku baku animals? If the first one I've never played it but I've heard good things about as an ARPG it but might be hard to play in japanese. Baku Baku I have played, I was never a fan of the gameplay or art style but it has it's fans. It's very much like Pac Attack if you've played that before (also another puzzle game I'm not big on).

On 6/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, chakoo said:

Which game, sylvan tale or baku baku animals? If the first one I've never played it but I've heard good things about as an ARPG it but might be hard to play in japanese. Baku Baku I have played, I was never a fan of the gameplay or art style but it has it's fans. It's very much like Pac Attack if you've played that before (also another puzzle game I'm not big on).

Baku Baku I have and played on Sega Saturn. I was thinking I never heard anything on Sylvan Tale.

If you're stupid/crazy like me, the units (Both bundle and individual units) are back up in stock on amazon.jp and now shipping internationally. I grabbed the 4 pack since it comes with the magnifying attachment for free.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/セガ-ゲームギアミクロ4色コンプリートセット-ビッグウィンドウミクロ特典付/dp/B089DRRM84/ref=pd_rhf_eetyp_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5R6FCZ83R0YR653QN04W

If you're wondering, yeah that attachment really did exist back in the day.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Baku Baku I have and played on Sega Saturn. I was thinking I never heard anything on Sylvan Tale.

Ah ok. Yeah Sylvan Tale I've heard of it but never played it myself. I think if these units get hacked I will patch/swap games with their english versions. 

Oh interesting tidbits I read yesterday that explains a lot. It seem this device is coming out from the Sega Toys group which makes a lot more sense. As well there was an interview with the team and the original intent was to release them with only 1 game on it and release a bunch for you to collect (Again makes sense coming from ST but would have been an awful call without the price being vastly cheaper). This does make me think that there is a good chance more collections will come out in japan with other games on them. I really hope they do a disney one with the mickey & donald games on them. I really don't see these ever leaving japan. So if anybody has any interest they should possibly buy 1 and wait for when they're hacked to add more games. 

55 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Oh interesting tidbits I read yesterday that explains a lot. It seem this device is coming out from the Sega Toys group which makes a lot more sense. As well there was an interview with the team and the original intent was to release them with only 1 game on it and release a bunch for you to collect (Again makes sense coming from ST but would have been an awful call without the price being vastly cheaper). This does make me think that there is a good chance more collections will come out in japan with other games on them. I really hope they do a disney one with the mickey & donald games on them. I really don't see these ever leaving japan. So if anybody has any interest they should possibly buy 1 and wait for when they're hacked to add more games. 

Why would someone hack these?  I can't think of a scenario where you would actually want to spend more than a novelty few minutes messing with this device.  They are fine as a collectible - but I'm guessing whatever you are currently reading these words on right now can emulate all game gear games just fine - and has a much larger screen - and can interface with better controls.  

26 minutes ago, number305 said:

Why would someone hack these?  I can't think of a scenario where you would actually want to spend more than a novelty few minutes messing with this device.  They are fine as a collectible - but I'm guessing whatever you are currently reading these words on right now can emulate all game gear games just fine - and has a much larger screen - and can interface with better controls.  

Same reason someone would buy it in the first place. For the novelty of it all. Nobody needs the device to play GG games but that won't stop someone from buying it as a silly desk toy. There are some people on other forums that are interested in buying one to have (hell I am). To them, hacking it to swap the games to something that is of more interest to them is not a crazy idea.

As for someone wasting the time to figure out how to hack it, that is never an issue of purpose other then because they can. 

I personally might hack one just to simply swap the games for their english counterpart (ie the shining forces unit). 

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Same reason someone would buy it in the first place. For the novelty of it all. Nobody needs the device to play GG games but that won't stop someone from buying it as a silly desk toy. There are some people on other forums that are interested in buying one to have (hell I am). To them, hacking it to swap the games to something that is of more interest to them is not a crazy idea.

As for someone wasting the time to figure out how to hack it, that is never an issue of purpose other then because they can. 

I personally might hack one just to simply swap the games for their english counterpart (ie the shining forces unit). 

Yea I get the collectible side.  Just not very functional for actually playing games.

Oh snap you can buy them now already. Sweet. Yeah I might get more than one. Also yeah I had/have the OG magnifier. I thought it made the GameGear look more like a camera. I had that the TV tuner and battery pack. Sadly my Game Gear doesn't work and I haven't tried to get another one. I want to really just play them on a TV. So I'm always tempted to see how that can work. Mostly though If there is a master System version those are superior as a big problem with game gear is the pixel count is so low you can rarely see-far ahead in platformers.

2 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Oh snap you can buy them now already. Sweet. Yeah I might get more than one. Also yeah I had/have the OG magnifier. I thought it made the GameGear look more like a camera. I had that the TV tuner and battery pack. Sadly my Game Gear doesn't work and I haven't tried to get another one. I want to really just play them on a TV. So I'm always tempted to see how that can work. Mostly though If there is a master System version those are superior as a big problem with game gear is the pixel count is so low you can rarely see-far ahead in platformers.

I remember seeing the magnifier but I don't think I owned one with my GG as a kid. I did have the one for Gameboy. Also I agree with you with the feeling of wanting to play GG games on your TV. My GG sort of works but the display is bad and when I tried it yesterday after a while it started to randomly shutoff. I'm gonna order some cap replacement in hopes that fixes it but I would love a better solution. I wanted to get the MegaSG and I probably will someday but the GG adapter is hard to get. I will most likely get the Pocket as there will be a TV dock/TV out for it.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread for fun. The GG Micro comes out this week in japan, so expect to see some hands on by wednesday/thursday this week. 

The only videos so far of a unit is from a Famitsu a month ago when they were talking about the Sega Astro Mini (I'm gonna make a topic about this close to launch as I have one on order). Go to the 58m30s mark for the start of the portion about the GG Micro

Another bit of news is there is a 5th version of the system as well. A white unit that is bundled in a limited edition for Aleste by M2. Now this is a unit to get as it has all the games contained in the Aleste Collection including a brand new GG Aleste 3.

spacer.png

If you're wondering, I don't have a pre-order for the GG units anymore. Too expensive to get the set with so many other things I want this year (Sega Astro Mini, G&W Mario, PS5, ...). I am how ever trying my hardest to get the Alesta Collection LE. I was on amazon jp when they went up but the Switch version wasn't shipping to Canada so I waited (PS4 would) and I end up missing out on either ones as they sold out. I'm hoping more show up at launch.