‘Frasier’ Reboot Being Explored (UPDATE: CONFIRMED) By Kelsey Grammer & CBS TV Studios

The good news is USA Today felt the total opposite of Rolling Stone.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

"Frasier" returns in a Paramount+ revival/spinoff of the beloved sitcom. The real Frasier Crane would be disgusted.

Oh wait, nevermind. They hated it too.

This new “Frasier” is no old “Frasier.” It’s as bad and cringeworthy as you could possibly imagine. 

Unfunny, stilted and downright insipid, the new “Frasier” is a flaccid facsimile of the original, desperately trying to re-create the witty patter, character idiosyncrasies and interior-design jokes that made the '90s series so seminal.

26 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I liked it a lot.

The scene with Frasier and Freddie talking about Martin and why Freddie didn’t go to the funeral got to me.

But it could also be I’m still dealing with the feelings of losing my father.

I could see that actually. At least the show could maybe help you in some small way. And the performance from the actors in that moment was quite good.

• Hugs 1

First episode was fine. Not terrible, it's not as manic as I'm used to (though I hear the second episode is a bit more like Fraiser of old), but I was entertained. There's potential.

I do agree with two critiques so far:

1. It IS weird the new British guy, who's an old friend, was never mentioned. I know even the original Frasier series did this with Niles and Martin and even made a big joke of the retcon, but Frasier the character has been around for 20 years. Might as well just give the new character a different backstory.

2. Freddy is Freddy in name only. He bears no resemblance to the kid from the original series. I'm not expecting him to act like a goth again or anything, but it doesn't seem at all that the personality from the original series evolved into what we're seeing now. 

1 hour ago, Derek said:

He said 'I don't have the heart to tell him that wasn't my luggage', but in the next scene, he's pushing the same piece through the airport?

Oh yeah noticed that too.

To me this is a modern laugh track sitcom with one Frasier character grafted into it. It doesn't have any of the uniqueness or writing chops of the old series, and even when the old series wasn't funny, the stories and characters continued to be interesting. And considering I haven't liked a single laugh track sitcom post-90s, I guess that's where I have fault with it.

The quality of the jokes and humor is pretty much at the level of That 70s Show or Big Bang. So I guess if you found those shows funny (I almost never did) this might work for you.

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

First episode was fine. Not terrible, it's not as manic as I'm used to (though I hear the second episode is a bit more like Fraiser of old), but I was entertained. There's potential.

I do agree with two critiques so far:

1. It IS weird the new British guy, who's an old friend, was never mentioned. I know even the original Frasier series did this with Niles and Martin and even made a big joke of the retcon, but Frasier the character has been around for 20 years. Might as well just give the new character a different backstory.

2. Freddy is Freddy in name only. He bears no resemblance to the kid from the original series. I'm not expecting him to act like a goth again or anything, but it doesn't seem at all that the personality from the original series evolved into what we're seeing now. 

In regards to 2, Trevor Einhorn as an adult I couldn’t buy as a firefighter. He looks like someone doing my taxes.

On 10/11/2023 at 8:35 PM, Jason said:

I'm sure Grammer being a huge chud now is contributing to this being not funny.

Is he a chud? I know he's conservative, and votes Republican, and I think he voted for Trump, but to me there's a difference between a typical Republican voter, and a super MAGAt who thinks immigrants are ruining America, 2020 was stolen from Trump, trans folks are groomers, etc.

I mean Schwarzenegger is a Republican, but he's been very outspoken against Trump, so I wouldn't really call him a chud even if I disagree with his politics. 

36 minutes ago, Brick said:

Is he a chud? I know he's conservative, and votes Republican, and I think he voted for Trump, but to me there's a difference between a typical Republican voter, and a super MAGAt who thinks immigrants are ruining America, 2020 was stolen from Trump, trans folks are groomers, etc.

I mean Schwarzenegger is a Republican, but he's been very outspoken against Trump, so I wouldn't really call him a chud even if I disagree with his politics. 

I don't know that Kelsey Grammar is a full MAGA chud but he's definitely on the sketchier side of most political issues. He is a Republican, but more than that, he endorsed the Tea Party movement back in the day. He's also anti-abortion which sucks. He's also a climate change denier and has said, if I recall, that the person he most admires is Vladimir Putin. He also supported Brexit. Not sure where he was at with Covid and the vaccine. I do believe he's voiced support for Donald Trump's policies while not liking Trump himself. 

52 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't know that Kelsey Grammar is a full MAGA chud but he's definitely on the sketchier side of most political issues. He is a Republican, but more than that, he endorsed the Tea Party movement back in the day. He's also anti-abortion which sucks. He's also a climate change denier and has said, if I recall, that the person he most admires is Vladimir Putin. He also supported Brexit. Not sure where he was at with Covid and the vaccine. I do believe he's voiced support for Donald Trump's policies while not liking Trump himself. 

unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Reputator said:
WWW.CNN.COM

“Frasier” star Kelsey Grammer had an interview with the BBC cut short this week after the conversation turned to his support for former US President...

Ever the MAGA chud.

Well, some in this thread were wondering. Further confirmation.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Confirmation that you should watch him in that Nic Cage movie imo.

Which movie are you referring to?

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Just curious do y’all do a complete and thorough background check into every entertainer before enjoying their work?

Does it matter? Once you learn something about that person (whether intentionally on your own volition or in passing in the due course of your life), it should, depending on what that thing you learn is, alter your opinion of that person. It's not complicated.

Even setting aside his personal views, it seems like this series was revived purely out of vanity. I mean the revival was well publicized at just about every step, and from the beginning Kelsey made it clear he wanted to bring the show back but didn't actually have a good idea driving it initially. It wasn't some creative spark that set off the reboot.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Which movie are you referring to?

Does it matter? Once you learn something about that person (whether intentionally on your own volition or in passing in the due course of your life), it should, depending on what that thing you learn is, alter your opinion of that person. It's not complicated.

It was a joke. Lighten up bro damn. 

• Haha 1

Having finished the series, there are some GREAT episodes in there. The one where Freddy and Frasier are trying to figure out who the blind date is for is fantastic. It was a definite throwback to the ski lodge episode.

The Lilith and Roz episodes were great as well. Also, I don’t know if the finale revealed it, but the bar that Eve works at being called Mahoney’s is a nice touch. I want more.

And as far as Kelsey himself being MAGA goes, eh. Not every entertainer is going to have my same beliefs, and basically it throws a wrench into the conservative excuse of “I can’t find work in Hollywood because I’m a Republican” that Scott Baio, Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo like to throw around. No, you can’t find work in Hollywood because you fucking suck as an actor. 

On 12/6/2023 at 8:32 PM, Reputator said:

Even setting aside his personal views, it seems like this series was revived purely out of vanity. I mean the revival was well publicized at just about every step, and from the beginning Kelsey made it clear he wanted to bring the show back but didn't actually have a good idea driving it initially. It wasn't some creative spark that set off the reboot.

I mean... every spinoff is like this I think? It's just a matter of execution. I don't know that anyone was hankering for more Frasier Crane specifically after Cheers (IIRC people were pretty cynical about it before it aired), the show just happened to work.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean... every spinoff is like this I think? It's just a matter of execution. I don't know that anyone was hankering for more Frasier Crane specifically after Cheers (IIRC people were pretty cynical about it before it aired), the show just happened to work.

You're probably right, but it ended up being really fresh and unique amongst other 90s sitcoms. I don't feel like Frasier+ has any of that spark of inspiration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...