Jump to content

‘Frasier’ Reboot Being Explored (UPDATE: CONFIRMED) By Kelsey Grammer & CBS TV Studios


Recommended Posts

https://deadline.com/2018/07/frasier-reboot-explored-kelsey-grammer-cbs-tv-studios-1202432451/

 

Quote

EXCLUSIVE: Another beloved sitcom is plotting a possible return. I have learned that Frasier star and executive producer Kelsey Grammer is fielding interest to put together a new Frasier series.
 

Unlike the slew of recent revivals of comedy series with the original cast and original creative auspices, including Will & Grace, Roseanne and Murphy Brown, I hear that Frasier is envisioned as a reboot, likely set in a new city, with the title character, played by Grammer, as a possible link to the Emmy-winning 1993 series.

 

Psychiatrist Frasier Crane already made a cross-country move once. He was introduced on the Boston-set NBC hit Cheers before getting his own spinoff series, Frasier, on which he returned to his hometown of Seattle to start a new life as a radio host and to reconnect with his father and brother.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Maybe they could show how Frasier is dealing with being admitted to a nursing home.

 

Seriously who is asking for this?

 

I'm never wanting any reboot, really. But I check out pretty much every one. And I loved Frasier more than any of the other things that have been rebooted so I guess I'm asking for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like the idea of a reboot where events of the previous series are even somewhat ignored, potentially.

 

A continuation though? Absolutely. With the right writers and people behind it, of course. The show ended with Frasier taking a new job in San Francisco, so we could catch up with his career over there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I don't like the idea of a reboot where events of the previous series are even somewhat ignored, potentially.

 

A continuation though? Absolutely. With the right writers and people behind it, of course. The show ended with Frasier taking a new job in San Francisco, so we could catch up with his career over there.

 

Kind of, yeah. It was a beautiful ending and subtle if you weren't paying attention to that 30 seconds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

I don't like the idea of a reboot where events of the previous series are even somewhat ignored, potentially.

 

A continuation though? Absolutely. With the right writers and people behind it, of course. The show ended with Frasier taking a new job in San Francisco, so we could catch up with his career over there.

Frasier DID ignore previous events, but it wasn’t a reboot obviously. Frasier goes from drinking beer to hating it, he goes from having a dead father to Martin being alive, his personality gets a huge overhaul, etc. He’s barely the same guy from Cheers to Frasier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Frasier DID ignore previous events, but it wasn’t a reboot obviously. Frasier goes from drinking beer to hating it, he goes from having a dead father to Martin being alive, his personality gets a huge overhaul, etc. He’s barely the same guy from Cheers to Frasier. 

 

They addressed all those inconsistencies. It wasn't treated like a separate canon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Reputator said:

they addressed all those inconsistencies. It wasn't treated like a separate canon.

 

They really didn’t though, at least not in any way that made sense. I’ll give them the dad thing, but his personality is COMPLETELY different. 

 

I love both shows and I don’t care about the differences at all, but to say they addressed all the consistencies is only true in the most pedantic way possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

 

They really didn’t though, at least not in any way that made sense. I’ll give them the dad thing, but his personality is COMPLETELY different. 

 

I love both shows and I don’t care about the differences at all, but to say they addressed all the consistencies is only true in the most pedantic way possible. 

 

Just because YOU weren't satisfied with the explanations, doesn't mean they didn't address them. Regardless, Frasier was not a reboot in the sense that you make it out to be. It was definitely a continuation, and they had to evolve the character to be able to carry the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Just because YOU weren't satisfied with the explanations, doesn't mean they didn't address them. Regardless, Frasier was not a reboot in the sense that you make it out to be. It was definitely a continuation, and they had to evolve the character to be able to carry the show.

They didn’t need to address them at all, that’s my point. I adore Cheers, but a spin-off is a spin-off. For as much as I love that show and its characters, the notion of a new show based on one of its characters needing being beholden to “Cheers canon” is just completely nonsensical. Like... who cares? It’s preposterous that the “follow up” to frigging Cheers is set in the Pacific Northwest and is about an erudite dandy of a psychologist who doesn’t deign to drink beer or watch sports. But Frasier as a show works so again... who cares? Let’s just not act like the connective tissue really mattered to what about Frasier made Frasier great because it didn’t. 

 

And the same will hold true of any reboot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They didn’t need to address them at all, that’s my point. I adore Cheers, but a spin-off is a spin-off. For as much as I love that show and its characters, the notion of a new show based on one of its characters needing being beholden to “Cheers canon” is just completely nonsensical. Like... who cares? It’s preposterous that the “follow up” to frigging Cheers is set in the Pacific Northwest and is about an erudite dandy of a psychologist who doesn’t deign to drink beer or watch sports. But Frasier as a show works so again... who cares? Let’s just not act like the connective tissue really mattered to what about Frasier made Frasier great because it didn’t. 

 

And the same will hold true of any reboot. 

 

Uh how is a "reboot" of Frasier with the same main character in any way at all the same as a spin-off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Reputator said:

I don't like the idea of a reboot where events of the previous series are even somewhat ignored, potentially.

 

A continuation though? Absolutely. With the right writers and people behind it, of course. The show ended with Frasier taking a new job in San Francisco, so we could catch up with his career over there.

He didn't take the job in San Francisco because his plane landed in Chicago at the end of the series with him taking a chance.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

e

18 hours ago, number305 said:

Maybe they could show how Frasier is dealing with being admitted to a nursing home.

 

Seriously who is asking for this?

 

They might as well make him live with dementia and every so often, just show an old episode of Cheers of Frasier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

“We are discussing what is the right thing to try to do. What would make it interesting? That’s the nut that must be cracked.”

 

Quote

Contrary to some initial media reports that a Frasier return would once again see the good doctor rebuilding his life in a brand-new city (Frasier was last seen departing his hometown Seattle for Chicago, pursuing his latest love interest), Grammer said another fresh slate is not necessarily the setup he envisions: “I do not picture that, no.”

 

Rather, Grammer believes any revival would need to make ample room for other Frasier cast members. “Certainly I think everyone that was on the show should be on this show, and then go from there,” he said. “I know that some people have written things that are different than that, but they got a lot of it wrong.”

One possibility Grammer does entertain is the notion of reuniting Frasier with his son Frederick, who, raised by his ex-wife in Boston, was long separated by distance and would now be around 30 years old. “I think there’s certainly some distance to go with that,” said Grammer. “I think there’s a kernel of good thinking there — that the relationship becomes the Martin–Frasier relationship.”

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Quote

During an appearance on In Depth with Graham Bensinger,Grammer discussed his plans to reprise his role as Frasier Crane. The actor said that he is currently in the process of negotiating a home for the project, but he expects filming could get underway as early as next spring and that the show could air in "late summer" 2020.

We've hatched the plan, what we think is the right way to go. We're sort of on standby a little bit working on a couple of possible network deals that we're circling. And Frasier is sort of in a second position to that at this point. So, there's still stuff going on," Grammer explained. "But a revisit to Frasier's world is, I think, definitely going to come.

"It's ready to go," he added. "We just have to staff it and find somebody who wants to give us money for it. You never know -- the business is funny, it's a funny world, but I think there's a couple of outlets who would actually be interested in revisiting [Frasier]."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/kelsey-grammer-says-frasier-revival-could-start-filming-next-spring/ar-BBWq5Av?ocid=AMZN

I really hope this happens!

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to ‘Frasier’ Reboot Being Explored (UPDATE: CONFIRMED) By Kelsey Grammer & CBS TV Studios

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...