PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm giving my friends kid my PS4 and i don't have a smart TV so my PS5 will be my media player at least for a few months until i save enough to upgrade to 4k smart TV.

Smart tv's make me kind of angry. Some brands will be more compatible with apps than others. Like I have a 2-3 year old LG led in the bedroom. The HBO app doesn't exist anywhere on its app store. My parents have a Samsung Q60 something from the beginning of this year. Any Netflix show that is in HDR looks extremely washed out and dark. Anything in just 4k looks bright and great.  I searched everywhere and couldn't find an easy way to turn off HDR.  The LG in my bedroom has the same problem with Netflix HDR and the only solution I could find was to buy a Roku stick where I can disable HDR in the Roku settings.   I've had the best luck with my new Sony X90H. The os is basically just a clean cut version of Android. It loads apps super fast and has all the apps I want. 

10 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Smart tv's make me kind of angry. Some brands will be more compatible with apps than others. Like I have a 2-3 year old LG led in the bedroom. The HBO app doesn't exist anywhere on its app store. My parents have a Samsung Q60 something from the beginning of this year. Any Netflix show that is in HDR looks extremely washed out and dark. Anything in just 4k looks bright and great.  I searched everywhere and couldn't find an easy way to turn off HDR.  The LG in my bedroom has the same problem with Netflix HDR and the only solution I could find was to buy a Roku stick where I can disable HDR in the Roku settings.   I've had the best luck with my new Sony X90H. The os is basically just a clean cut version of Android. It loads apps super fast and has all the apps I want. 

Smart TVs are privacy nightmares anyhow. Better to just never plug it in to the router or set up wifi and just use a streaming stick. 

Man, this console has s ton of features built in. Ive spent at least sn hour just playing with the console. 

Also, Astrobot is absolutely incredible! This controller is awesome. If devs actually make games with it in mind, it could be the ps5’s best new feature. Its also comfy. I just wish the back was textured and grippy. 

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I wonder when they’ll start selling limited edition clamshells for this? The covers are simple and easy to remove. 

On the giantbombcast/beastcast I remember they mentioned a website popped up that was going to sell different colored shells but they got shut down by Sony. I might change the color myself when I get the PS5 but I would definitely prefer to just buy an extra set. 

Beat Astro’s Playroom. Now I can finally start Yakuza and Valhalla. 

For a pack-in game that is meant to demonstrate the controller’s features, it is extremely well made while being charming and paying homage to Sony and the franchises that built the brand. Don’t skip it. 

• Thanks 1

I decided to keep my system. Played a bit of Astro and is a charming looking game and yeah it demonstrates the new controller nicely, but feeling in my hand is still so-so. Might just need some time too get use to it. Just waiting for my SMMM disc to finish downloading as I type. . . .  and it finished literally just now. 

BYE!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Beat Astro’s Playroom. Now I can finally start Yakuza and Valhalla. 

For a pack-in game that is meant to demonstrate the controller’s features, it is extremely well made while being charming and paying homage to Sony and the franchises that built the brand. Don’t skip it. 

Astro Bot rescue mission is an incredible PS4 VR game, I'm not at all surprised by how good this was, they really need to make another full game.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Mr.Vic20Can you test if you can use 2  or more external hdds on PS5 at the same time?

May I ask why you’d want to? I can test this when mine arrives, hopefully Monday (Target sucks), but afaik you can’t play games off an external, just store them.

You’d probably be best off getting a usb 3.1 hdd dock and just docking internal drives which are typically cheaper and faster than externals, and then you’d be able to swap hdds whenever necessary :sun: 

I have two docks, so I’ll just plug my XSX one into the PS5 along with the PS4 one.

51 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

May I ask why you’d want to? I can test this when mine arrives, hopefully Monday (Target sucks), but afaik you can’t play games off an external, just store them.

You’d probably be best off getting a usb 3.1 hdd dock and just docking internal drives which are typically cheaper and faster than externals, and then you’d be able to swap hdds whenever necessary :sun: 

I have two docks, so I’ll just plug my XSX one into the PS5 along with the PS4 one.

You can play your PS4 games off the external drive.

49 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

You can play your PS4 games off the external drive.

I thought Sony stated it could only store (even PS4) games and that they had to be on the SSD? That may have been a miscommunication that they clarified.

However, upon Googling, I came across this: 

WCCFplaystation53.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

The PS5 is out in the wild now, and while most people are enjoying the console, there are also players reporting a variety of glitches and issues.

YMMV, but playing games off of an external HDD may not be the best idea atm

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I thought Sony stated it could only store (even PS4) games and that they had to be on the SSD? That may have been a miscommunication that they clarified.

However, upon Googling, I came across this: 

WCCFplaystation53.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

The PS5 is out in the wild now, and while most people are enjoying the console, there are also players reporting a variety of glitches and issues.

YMMV, but playing games off of an external HDD may not be the best idea atm

Easy solution just transfer a couple games you're currently playing to the internal storage before playing and move them back when you're done.

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

Easy solution just transfer a couple games you're currently playing to the internal storage before playing and move them back when you're done.

Yes, the warning is so you know to do that so you don’t brick your console until this is patched/fixed. :p 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Doesn't sound like it's "bad systems" but software related. There have been quite a few reports of bricked consoles out there, more than I would think would be usual regardless of what folks would have you believe.

Like i mentioned yesterday though, with millions of consoles shipped, even 10k bad consoles is statistically very low. I think the average in new tech is about 1-2% failure rate (for good tech). I haven’t seen much to show its more than normal launch day woes.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Doesn't sound like it's "bad systems" but software related. There have been quite a few reports of bricked consoles out there, more than I would think would be usual regardless of what folks would have you believe.

PS2 launch systems had like a 40% defect rate in 2001 :epilepsy:

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Seriously? I don’t remember that. 
I remembered rrod too damn well though!

Yea, it wasn’t as widely known/discussed because of the lack of message board popularity back then. It wasn’t always necessarily a bricked console, but things like PS1 memory cards not working, second controller port having issues, intermittent dvd-rom issues, etc.

36 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Seriously? I don’t remember that. 
I remembered rrod too damn well though!

even though my PS2 system ran fine afterwards. On launch day I took my system to my buddies to play. Played into the early hours and were talking waiting for my Timesplitters game to load a map. I think after 15 minutes and a moment of clarity we thought “this is taking a long time” Turns out my system etched a circle into my disc. Got a replacement game the next day, but the store clerks were in awe of what it did to the disc. 

plus my 20GB PS3 was pretty much bricked out of the box. Controller wouldn’t turn system on/off, randomly shut itself off in games/movies and was loud. Thankfully it was a few months after the launch and had my system sent in on Monday and a replacement system in my hands that Wednesday morning. 

so far my PSP, PS4 and current PS5 are running/still running fine

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

PS2 launch systems had like a 40% defect rate in 2001 :epilepsy:

That wasn't "usual' though right? Ps2 had issues, Psone had issues, the 360 had issues... those consoles are the exceptions not the rule is my point. Let me ask you guys this... how many Nintendo consoles have had issues at launch? The consoles themselves, not the joycons (which was also an issue that was downplayed until it could no longer be denied)