PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

That wasn't "usual' though right? Ps2 had issues, Psone had issues, the 360 had issues... those consoles are the exceptions not the rule is my point. Let me ask you guys this... how many Nintendo consoles have had issues at launch? The consoles themselves, not the joycons (which was also an issue that was downplayed until it could no longer be denied)

It was the highest defect rate at the time in regards to PS2: I’m unsure if 360 exceeded it.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

It was the highest defect rate at the time in regards to PS2: I’m unsure if 360 exceeded it.

I would think the 360 HAD to surpass it... I remember reading that virtually EVERY launch 360 would fail at some point. Oh I also remember there being an issue with the OG Xbox... if you had one that had a specific disc drive, it would eventually fail. I thinkm later on they switched to Samsung disc drives and that solved that issue.

It's really hard to judge just how big an issue something is, because all those with issues obviously will highlight it on Twitter, so it can artificially make a smaller problem, look like a much larger problem.

Browsing Twitter the past few days, the biggest issues seem to be from really hard crashes that comopletely power down the console, which then causes the console not to boot back up.  Godfall and CoD seem to be 2 of the bigger culprits for causing this.

There's also the issues some are reporting with Externals bricking their console.

There is some glitch with a download not Queuing correcting, and the only fix right now is to do a Factory Reset on the console.

Some have posted pictures of Graphical issues, which could be a failing GPU.

When you see all these things aggregated into one place, it makes it look like it could be bad, but realizing this is only a few dozen issues out of the millions sold, it's nothing out of the ordinary thus far.

A few of the larger outlets have reported on the issues giving them a bit more "credibility", but without any actual numbers, nothing to b worried about yet.

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I would think the 360 HAD to surpass it... I remember reading that virtually EVERY launch 360 would fail at some point. Oh I also remember there being an issue with the OG Xbox... if you had one that had a specific disc drive, it would eventually fail. I thinkm later on they switched to Samsung disc drives and that solved that issue.

360 was 55% for launch units. With the OG XBOX, there were 3 different brand DVD-Roms used during its life cycle, the one brand had issues reading certain games on dual-layered discs, but didn’t stop working to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

360 was 55% for launch units. With the OG XBOX, there were 3 different brand DVD-Roms used during its life cycle, the one brand had issues reading certain games on dual-layered discs, but didn’t stop working to my knowledge.

55% seems kinda low... I went through FIVE of those fuckers. 

31 minutes ago, nublood said:

I had 3 Xbox 360’s in my house at one point, and all of them rrod’d within weeks of each other. Funny enough, the towel trick fixed one of them though. It still works today.

That sounds about right.

15 minutes ago, johnny said:

I really love the way the PS5 looks in my entertainment center. It’s MASSIVE, yes, but so much better than a boring black or white box. 

Lol I'm enjoying the console but its fucking UGLY man... c'mon :lol:

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

That sounds about right.

That was for first year consoles only. Overall it’s “only” ~22% but that’s also including the elite and other models.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That sounds about right.

Ageed. I have no damn idea how anyone could call it pretty. Th xbox looks amazing, and the green accents are perfect on it. 

the ps5 looks like a fat clam. Especially the disk edition.

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Ageed. I have no damn idea how anyone could call it pretty. Th xbox looks amazing, and the green accents are perfect on it. 

the ps5 looks like a fat clam. Especially the disk edition.

Horizontally the XSX is ugly as shit. The shelving for my entertainment system can’t fit it vertical. It’s a weird black box with almost nothing on it :p 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That wasn't "usual' though right? Ps2 had issues, Psone had issues, the 360 had issues... those consoles are the exceptions not the rule is my point. Let me ask you guys this... how many Nintendo consoles have had issues at launch? The consoles themselves, not the joycons (which was also an issue that was downplayed until it could no longer be denied)

The only Nintendo console that really had serious issues was the Wii which Nintendo had to issue an replacement program for due to many consoles not being able to real some dual layer discs which was discovered with Smash Brothers Brawl came out.  You also had that launch issue with the Switch in which some of them were bending.  The other Nintendo issues weren't something you could replace under warranty as they were just the company being cheap.  I'm specifically referring to Nintendo's use of cheap LCD panels and making no effort to have a factory standard of display calibration.  

I had to get my Wii replaced myself and one DS because Nintendo was assembling them in a factory for a brief time that wasn't clean.  My screen was covered in dust under the plastic.  

Just a minor note on my PS5 but so far everything is pretty good. I did notice at the start downloads were crazy fast but have gotten a bit slower once I started playing Astro Bot. That game is lovely with all it's call backs to Playstation history but with 2 of 4 spaces down I think i'll have my fill for this game by then. I will say it does make me want to pick up Sackboy Adventure more. 

Also I just have to say, the PS5 controller is interesting. For me, when you first pick it up it feels quite heavy but once properly situated in your hands it feels perfectly balanced and you don't really feel the weight anymore. Sony really nailed it on this one. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Disc drives were the original fault. The current one is the Battery soldered to the PCB is failing and leaking acid on the board which will kill it. -.-

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

@silentbob My friend had a game with a huge scratch on the bottom and he was able to get it fixed. Had a store that could resurface the game for a decent price.

I’m good on my games. That was from way back when I got my launch PS2, and trust me, there was no way to save that disc.  It was trying to turning the disc into the size of a GameCube disc. It had etched that disc that deeply

2 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I’m good on my games. That was from way back when I got my launch PS2, and trust me, there was no way to save that disc.  It was trying to turning the disc into the size of a GameCube disc. It had etched that disc that deeply

My friend forgot to turn the system off before moving it and that's how it got scratched.

I can confirm that the PS5 looks fucking stupid. I can appreciate that, as I like consoles the dumber they look (still waiting for a donut shaped console) but it's hardly cool or sleek. Neither is the Series X, but it's more... "stately" is really overselling it, but it's like a fat guy wearing a nice suit, whereas the PS5 is like the annoying 8 foot tall hipster, and in the case of my non-digital version, he's also got a weird hunchback.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I can confirm that the PS5 looks fucking stupid. I can appreciate that, as I like consoles the dumber they look (still waiting for a donut shaped console) but it's hardly cool or sleek. Neither is the Series X, but it's more... "stately" is really overselling it, but it's like a fat guy wearing a nice suit, whereas the PS5 is like the annoying 8 foot tall hipster, and in the case of my non-digital version, he's also got a weird hunchback.

The PS5 is quite literally an evolution of the design of the Phantom console that never came out.  😂

spacer.png

There's at least 2 posts right now on the PS5 Reddit where people who ordered the digital PS5, opened the box to find the disc drive version inside.  Then there is a post with a misprinted controller that has a triangle button in place of the X button. Supposedly based on a teardown video of the controller, a triangle button wouldn't fit in the X buttons place. Some goofy shit going on. If I open my disc version and find a digital I'm going to be pissed. 

47 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

There's at least 2 posts right now on the PS5 Reddit where people who ordered the digital PS5, opened the box to find the disc drive version inside.  Then there is a post with a misprinted controller that has a triangle button in place of the X button. Supposedly based on a teardown video of the controller, a triangle button wouldn't fit in the X buttons place. Some goofy shit going on. If I open my disc version and find a digital I'm going to be pissed. 

The conspiracy theory is that Sony didn’t have enough digitals so they threw in disc versions instead :vortex: