PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, HGLatinBoy said:

$500...

It cant just be $100 more for a disc drive can it? UHD is old tech.

It should've been $450 and it would've a knife to the throat of the Xbox SX

It's an incentive to get the digital edition. They get all of the revenue from digital sales, and decreases the market share for physical/used copies.

1 minute ago, HGLatinBoy said:

$500...

It cant just be $100 more for a disc drive can it? UHD is old tech.

It should've been $450 and it would've a knife to the throat of the Xbox SX

It's the SSD... they're probably taking a hit on these consoles as is. They couldn't go any lower than 500. I wouldn't be surprised to see MS undercut them anyway on price.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dean Winchester GIF

Ha.  I don't really care, but a few months ago it was the big talking point.  Remember the whole "Sony believes in generations of hardware" talk.  That was all based around this game and how the speed of the game swinging through the streets could not have been accomplished on PS4.  

I'm not starting a war.  PS5 had a great show and tons of good looking games.  Good price to go with it.  PS fans have a lot to be excited for.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to PlayStation 5 (12 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: Standard Edition - $499/Digital Edition - $399, pre-orders begin 17 September 2020

Sony Japan: Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Destruction AllStars, Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy A Big Adventure are PS5 launch titles

655a54d2f18d1f28d6f97f3ca6a2ca08cf764f59
BLOG.JA.PLAYSTATION.COM

プレイステーション®5は11月12日(木)に発売決定。価格はデジタル・エディションが希望小売価格39,980円+税、ディスクドライブを備えたモデルが希望小売価格49,980円+税。

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To be honest between Spiderman being on PS4, them charging for next gen upgrades and now Demon's Souls potentially coming to PC as well, there's VERY little reason for me to get a PS5 at launch. If I don't manage to snag one, I think I'll be ok.

If you've got a gaming PC, there appears to be no reason to get either console at launch.  Waiting for the exclusives seems like the right decision.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you've got a gaming PC, there appears to be no reason to get either console at launch.  Waiting for the exclusives seems like the right decision.

Sure... but if your a console gamer looking to get a next gen console, the series X makes more sense at this point. Freeupgrades for a bunch of games, backwards compat with existing ones, gamepass, game streaming and a more powerful system. Just sayin...

Xbox hasn't made sense to me for a few gens. I get to use PSVR on the PS5 (and likely will get a boost on plenty of those games which already play like butter), I get what looks to be a great launch line-up, and I can get all of Sony's first party anyway from the get-go (though they'll all be BC anyway, I'm sure, and I own most of them :p). 

24 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Those voices DO NOT fit those faces :lol:

Yeah, with it coming to PC, even if the game doesn't support it normally, I'll be playing that in JP voices for sure. And despite being a weeb, I have never played any FF with JP voices if that option was available.  

Sony confirms $49.99 - $69.99 price for most first party games.

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

50349535038_42fa72f759_k.jpg
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

New games announced at PS5 Showcase, including Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy, and a new God of War title

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Xbox hasn't made sense to me for a few gens. I get to use PSVR on the PS5 (and likely will get a boost on plenty of those games which already play like butter), I get what looks to be a great launch line-up, and I can get all of Sony's first party anyway from the get-go (though they'll all be BC anyway, I'm sure, and I own most of them :p). 

I got a Bone eventually, but never really play it.

I think all Sony had to do to be in the driver's seat for another gen is not fuck anything too egregiously like they did with the PS3. And these announcements today are pure middle of the road stuff. Nothing setting the world on fire, but nothing that will drive off the majority of fans who are likely set on buying a Playstation unless Sony gives them a big reason not to.

Yeah, wasn't all their messaging around clear cut generations and making sure their new games are all doing things not possible on PS4.

I don't see it as a negative at all, it'd be foolish not to keep those 110+ million install base as potential customers.

I just find it odd how their messaging was so heavy on Generations and now it's kinda, wellllll a bunch of our new games will be on both.

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I got a Bone eventually, but never really play it.

I think all Sony had to do to be in the driver's seat for another gen is not fuck anything too egregiously like they did with the PS3. And these announcements today are pure middle of the road stuff. Nothing setting the world on fire, but nothing that will drive off the majority of fans who are likely set on buying a Playstation unless Sony gives them a big reason not to.

That launch lineup set my ass on fire. Sony's never had a big launch lineup on a console before, but now I'm psyched.

This has been the most bullshit info dump on both sides of any console generation ever.

I feel like we still basically know very little about how these things work, what the UI is like, etc. 

Can I put a literal PS4 disc in my PS5 and have it work? It seems like it but they have kept it vague enough that I don't fucking know. How about my digital PS4 games? 

I dunno man, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And to have Keighly now dripping out new info. 

Just, fuck off. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, number305 said:

Ha.  I don't really care, but a few months ago it was the big talking point.  Remember the whole "Sony believes in generations of hardware" talk.  That was all based around this game and how the speed of the game swinging through the streets could not have been accomplished on PS4.  

I'm not starting a war.  PS5 had a great show and tons of good looking games.  Good price to go with it.  PS fans have a lot to be excited for.

What did they say about Spiderman? My memory is they just showed a short CG shot. They definitely said things about Ratchet and showed it.

Quite some time ago outside of official announcements I believe they used a Spiderman tech demo internally (of which videos exist on the web) to show how much faster they could move through the city if using an SSD, but I don't recall them showing anything indicating that they would be using that for Miles game they're releasing.

31 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

This has been the most bullshit info dump on both sides of any console generation ever.

I feel like we still basically know very little about how these things work, what the UI is like, etc. 

Can I put a literal PS4 disc in my PS5 and have it work? It seems like it but they have kept it vague enough that I don't fucking know. How about my digital PS4 games? 

I dunno man, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And to have Keighly now dripping out new info. 

Just, fuck off. 

And I really don't think we can entirely put the onus for this "lackluster" launch on the "COVID Crisis".

Even without it, I just get the feeling that both of these companies are launching this new generation now out of a sense of "obligation" rather than GENUINELY wanting to.

"Well, this generation has been around for seven years.  I guess, we'd better launch a new one, huh?"

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

And I really don't think we can entirely put the entire onus on the "COVID Crisis".

Even without it, I just get the feeling that both of these companies are launching this new generation now out of a sense of "obligation" rather than GENUINELY wanting to.

"Well, this generation has been around for seven years.  I guess, we'd better launch a new one, huh?"

I agree... current gen console sales were still pretty healthy and with the shift to digital and streaming, they may have been content to let this gen drag on a little longer especially given how well the Switch has done.