~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He literally can't be pressured

I think there'd be ways politically to blackball him - I get that you're assuming if he was primaried on the left a right-winger would simply win his Senate seat in WV but then . . . so what? We just try to win a seat elsewhere in a more likely state. Unless you're assuming he doesn't care if he loses his seat? 

Biden could call his donors and have them pull support of him, for one thing. That's something he'd care about. 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think there'd be ways politically to blackball him - I get that you're assuming if he was primaried on the left a right-winger would simply win his Senate seat in WV but then . . . so what? We just try to win a seat elsewhere in a more likely state. Unless you're assuming he doesn't care if he loses his seat? 

Biden could call his donors and have them pull support of him, for one thing. That's something he'd care about. 

He could switch parties today and make Mitch majority leader immediately. And he'd probably be better off electorally for it, too. Especially if he's welcomed with open arms by Trump (even though he voted to convict twice)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He could switch parties today and make Mitch majority leader immediately. And he'd probably be better off electorally for it, too. Especially if he's welcomed with open arms by Trump (even though he voted to convict twice)

That doesn't mean he can't literally be pressured. He can, I just don't know what the right way would be. And do you think Manchin would switch? I simply don't see him doing that, but you'd know better than I.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That doesn't mean he can't literally be pressured. He can, I just don't know what the right way would be. And do you think Manchin would switch? I simply don't see him doing that, but you'd know better than I.

Openly berating him but having his back behind the scenes is the only thing I think could actually work. Openly berate him from the left is how he gets reelected because he's "standing up to the radical leftists".

But that can only get you so far in a R+40 state when they can have full flavor coke and not diet coke zero with no difficulty

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Openly berating him but having his back behind the scenes is the only thing I think could actually work. Openly berate him from the left is how he gets reelected because he's standing up to the radical leftists.

But that can only get you so far in a R+40 state.

Well they should at least try it then, right? I thought Biden and Harris' sneaky move to send her to VA to directly talk to his constituents without his knowledge was a pretty good move (basically openly berating him but having his back behind the scenes). That seemed to keep him in line for awhile.

And do you think he'd really switch?

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm pretty sure that this was the proverbial icing on that "Let Them Eat Cake" symbolism:

Imagine if the Dems could keep their party in line the way Mitch did with Republicans. The hilarious part is the (mostly poor) Republican base of Trumpers will eat this up, loving the cutting down of Biden's bill, when it would help them the most. Just to, ya know, own the libs, because that's more important.

I really hate all of this.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is what happens when you are forced to legislate through the reconciliation process. You can't spend more you have to stay within the budget.

LMAO apparently this was a 60 threshold vote. All of the Ds could have voted yes and then just blamed it not going through on the Republicans. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well they should at least try it then, right? I thought Biden and Harris' sneaky move to send her to VA to directly talk to his constituents without his knowledge was a pretty good move (basically openly berating him but having his back behind the scenes). That seemed to keep him in line for awhile.

And do you think he'd really switch?

He could always threaten it, with credibility. The question is could he win a republican primary. Would there be crossover of historical Dems to vote for him in a republican primary against a real crazy? Would the right wing crazies run a third party campaign against him?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He could always threaten it, with credibility. The question is could he win a republican primary. Would there be crossover of historical Dems to vote for him in a republican primary against a real crazy? Would the right wing crazies run a third party campaign against him?

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Admittedly I don't think he stands a chance of winning shit as a republican

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't think switching over helps him much and he certainly loses all his clout, I would think. Perhaps that's where the pressure be applied?