Atari is opening its own video game friendly hotels in eight US cities

SaysWho?

Atari hotels are also planned for Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, Austin, Seattle, San Francisco and San Jose, ranging from million to multimillion dollar projects depending on the location.

atari-hotel.jpg?fit=2880,1920&strip=all

Atari might be best known for 1970s video games and its money problems, but now the brand is opening its own chain of branded hotels. The first one, in Phoenix, Arizona, will start construction in early fall, and should be finished in about two years.

The hotels will feature spaces for virtual reality and augmented reality, studios for streaming games and venues for throwing esports events, according to a press release.

Some of the rooms will have a retro style while others could be inspired by "Ready Player One," Shelly Murphy, CEO of GSD Group, told CNN Business.

It is not Atari opening up the hotels. It is a company that bought the rights to brand their hotels with Atari. It is a licensing deal. Atari doesn't have the money or desire to open hotels. I think it is a bad idea. I mean how old are you if Atari brand still means anything.

It makes no sense. The name Atari means absolutely nothing to most gamers these days and it means crappy 4 pixel wide block graphics to anyone old enough to actually remember the product.

Insert some sort of bladerunner joke here...

Insert some sort of wood paneling joke here...

On 1/30/2020 at 8:59 AM, Rodimus said:

It is not Atari opening up the hotels. It is a company that bought the rights to brand their hotels with Atari. It is a licensing deal. Atari doesn't have the money or desire to open hotels. I think it is a bad idea. I mean how old are you if Atari brand still means anything.

My thoughts exactly