~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The US will be largely unconcerned with Covid by mid-summer :p 

We're already almost at a point in some parts of the country where if you want a shot you can just walk up and get one. Oregon isn't there yet, but it sounds like it's close.

TUUEYDVOR4I6XAWBRFVMVFK3XE.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The Seychelles' situation is being watched closely for what it says about vaccination drives.

The Seychelles stands as the most vaccinated nation on Earth, with more than 60 percent of its population fully vaccinated, more than other vaccine giants such as Israel and Britain, and almost twice the United States’ rate of vaccination

Though the number of new cases is relatively low — peaking at an average of just over 100 new cases a day — they are a big deal in a country with a population of less than 100,000. On a per capita basis, the Seychelles outbreak is worse than India’s raging surge.

Government data released this week found that of 1,068 active cases, around 65 percent involved residents who were either completely unvaccinated or had received only one dose.

Roughly 60 percent of the doses administered in Seychelles are vaccines made by the Chinese company Sinopharm that were donated to the Seychelles by the United Arab Emirates. The remaining doses are of the vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and produced by the Serum Institute of India.

ff1bdfe16c112358559cb2392609907c.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

BELOIT, WI—Gasping sharply and demanding their son to report to his room this instant, conservative parents Justine and Stewart Taylor asked their son Thursday if he’d care to explain why there was a vaccine card hidden in his underwear drawer. “So, is there anything in particular that you’d like to tell us—or did you think we were stupid and just wouldn’t find out?” said Stewart, holding up his child’s inoculation records...

Speaking at a virtual townhall for Yukoners, Dr. Theresa Tam said the risk of asymptomatic infection and transmission is far lower for anyone who receives two shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines.

“But it’s not absolute. There’s reduction in your risk of transmission, but it doesn’t necessarily eliminate your risk of transmission,” Tam said, adding that the danger dials down especially after the second dose.

“Some studies have shown that it reduces the amount of virus in the back of your nose. If you sample people, there’s less virus, which means less risk of transmission.”

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

People keep targeting 70% of adult population - which is only 55-57% of the total population. We need to get to close to 80% of total population. 

In the US, 24% of the population is under 18 so we won't get anywhere near there until kids can get vaccinated

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In the US, 24% of the population is under 18 so we won't get anywhere near there until kids can get vaccinated

Mandatory vaccination needs to become a thing.  I recognize that won't happen for adults in the US.  I think vaccine passports are an inevitability going forward for the rest of the western world.

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You'd think the percentage of kids that get vaxxed is going to basically track the percentage in the adult population since the parents need to be involved to get vaxxed. I guess some kids old enough to drive/otherwise allowed to go around by themselves by their parents might do it secretly if their parents say no, but on the whole...

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Mandatory vaccination needs to become a thing.  I recognize that won't happen for adults in the US.  I think vaccine passports are an inevitability going forward for the rest of the western world.

There are lots of jobs that require various vaccinations which have only not made it mandatory since the COVID vaccines are available on an EUA. So a good chunk of the adult population be forced into getting vaxxed once the vaccines have reached a full approval.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

There are lots of jobs that require various vaccinations which have only not made it mandatory since the COVID vaccines are available on an EUA. So a good chunk of the adult population be forced into getting vaxxed once the vaccines have reached a full approval.

Employers have the option of making vaccinations mandatory -- if they can demonstrate that they are a bona fide job requirement (i.e. as a health and safety requirement) as long as they make reasonable accommodations for disabilities/religious reasons.  The challenge is that small organizations and people who work for themselves are unlikely to face this challenge.

Aren't there numerous US states that have already passed laws banning mandatory covid vaccination?

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Employers have the option of making vaccinations mandatory -- if they can demonstrate that they are a bona fide job requirement (i.e. as a health and safety requirement) as long as they make reasonable accommodations for disabilities/religious reasons.  The challenge is that small organizations and people who work for themselves are unlikely to face this challenge.

Aren't there numerous US states that have already passed laws banning mandatory covid vaccination?

The military makes you get vaccinated for everything under the sun and the only reason they haven't mandated the COVID vaccines yet is the EUA issue. Lots of hospitals that require an annual flu shot that will also require a COVID vaccine once they're fully approved. Colleges already require a whole list of vaccinations and many aren't even waiting for full authorization to start requiring a COVID shot. Etc etc etc.

24 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Yes! I've been tracking the vaccination numbers and active cases. We got us a downward curve. 

Not “over”, some hard work to do the get better access to the many who still want shots but haven’t had a chance, and also convert more of the true fence sitters, but amazing to see what is happening right now. I’ve said it before, but it legit makes me emotional to think about the men and women who are responsible for developing these vaccines. Amazing.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Not “over”, some hard work to do the get better access to the many who still want shots but haven’t had a chance, and also convert more of the true fence sitters, but amazing to see what is happening right now. I’ve said it before, but it legit makes me emotional to think about the men and women who are responsible for developing these vaccines. Amazing.

I'm expecting vaccination rates start leveling off too. There's a slowdown in cases, but I bet there will also be a slowdown in vaccines as "well, things are returning to normal anyway."

All this while Israel has basically stopped vaccinating. They hit 50% March 11-ish and are only now at 58%

We're probably going to end up in a similar place or better before children start getting vaccinated and then after that covid will largely be an afterthought outside of the deep south (barring FEMA getting in these areas to administer vaccines to people purposely being neglected by their state)

• Like 1