~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So to address that Trump tweet (about making a decision at 15 days):

I think the only reason he was swindled into allowing the situation to be taken seriously is because he was told they would only need 15 days of lockdown to get it under control. Now, if the virus isn't under control in 15 days (which it won't be), he will view it as a failure of the people involved and will want to take a new direction, probably listening to his core Fox people.

I'm sure Kushner can work the same magic on the pandemic as he did on mid-east peace.

RIP Atlanta:

Atlanta mayor holds off on stay-at-home order, per governor's request.

Like, in places where these orders have been in place for 3-10 days, the virus is still spreading at exponential rates due to the time lag between catching it and showing symptoms. There are certainly thousands of people in Atlanta with it.

Fucking people, man.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well, yeah. So what does he suggest? You either deal with the pandemic by treating people...or you don't admit them to hospitals? Just ask people to keep going to work and then die in their homes like good serfs?

Hes advocating for listening to healthcare professionals and stay home, heres the first part.

• Thanks 1

These calls are going to grow stronger as companies lose more and more money and the markets continue to tank. American conservatives are going to basically call for everyone over 70 (except the rich) to be thrown into a volcano as a sacrifice to the Market God.

Soon there will be arguments that it is better to let the elderly die early because it will also save in healthcare costs, long-term. "I thought Democrats wanted to make healthcare more affordable!"

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

RIP Atlanta:

Atlanta mayor holds off on stay-at-home order, per governor's request.

Like, in places where these orders have been in place for 3-10 days, the virus is still spreading at exponential rates due to the time lag between catching it and showing symptoms. There are certainly thousands of people in Atlanta with it.

Fucking people, man.

Yep. It's stupid. That's where my Target is located. Yay me!! At least they are paying us an extra $2/hour...

In some positive news, the Lombardi region in Italy has seen a decrease in new cases (and deaths) for the second day in a row, proving that social distancing (and total lockdown) works to slow the spread and allow time for more to be tested.

The issue is that it takes two to three weeks of total lockdown for this to work, and in the meantime deaths will mount - does America have the patience?

Sweden has decided to follow the initial UK approach

Swedish PM warned over 'Russian roulette-style' Covid-19 strategy  

Criticism is mounting in Sweden of the government’s approach to Covid-19, with experts warning that its strategy of building broad immunity while protecting at-risk groups – similar to that initially adopted by the UK – amounted to “Russian roulette” and could end in disaster.

The prime minister, Stefan Löfven, on Sunday night called on all Swedes to accept individual responsibility in stopping the rapid spread of the virus as the number of patients in intensive care in Stockholm continued to rise sharply.

I wish people would stop using the term "herd immunity" as some type of strategy. It's not a strategy, it's the end goal of ALL strategies.

The eventual end of any contagious disease is either early eradication or herd immunity through either spread or vaccination. The UK and Swedish plans are adaptive immunity, which means that people become immune after catching it through spread. That is a bad strategy since the people who need herd immunity (old, immuno-compromised, etc) will be included in the spread.

Current mortality stats:

USA - 1.33% (473 / 35,530) Tested: ~105,000

Canada - 1.36% (20 / 1,470) Tested: ~ 98,000

These numbers are likely higher than the truth since many have the disease and have not been tested. At the same time, the mortality rate will likely increase as ICUs become flooded in the next week or two.

:(

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think it's mostly that they are testing for it at a greater rate, and not restricting it to people who meet strict criteria.

The numbers certainly don't reflect that. Their ratio of positive to negative cases is terrifying.

44 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

These calls are going to grow stronger as companies lose more and more money and the markets continue to tank. American conservatives are going to basically call for everyone over 70 (except the rich) to be thrown into a volcano as a sacrifice to the Market God.

Soon there will be arguments that it is better to let the elderly die early because it will also save in healthcare costs, long-term. "I thought Democrats wanted to make healthcare more affordable!"

It's fun to watch them throw their own supporters into the volcano like that's not going to hurt the election of cheeto-in-chief. Yet at the same time I think the markets don't care and are gunning for biden to take over anyways so they might see it as a win/win situation.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Current mortality stats:

USA - 1.33% (473 / 35,530) Tested: ~105,000

Canada - 1.36% (20 / 1,470) Tested: ~ 98,000

These numbers are likely higher than the truth since many have the disease and have not been tested. At the same time, the mortality rate will likely increase as ICUs become flooded in the next week or two.

:(

Deaths lag, so even without Hospitals being overrun this number will jump in the coming days and weeks

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That hurts their base tho

36 minutes ago, Jose said:

The numbers certainly don't reflect that. Their ratio of positive to negative cases is terrifying.

Testing restrictions is almost certainly the cause of this, NY has run many times the number of tests than even CA has done, and are likely picking up Asymptomatic carriers, while in most of the country you still can't get tested unless you're almost dead.  Arizona is reporting 521 tests, like we have no clue right now in a lot of these states, lol.

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Testing restrictions is almost certainly the cause of this, NY has run many times the number of tests than even CA has done, and are likely picking up Asymptomatic carriers, while in most of the country you still can't get tested unless you're almost dead.

I hope you are right! I know NJ is not doing this and their positive to negative numbers are insanely high. Hopefully, they just are not reporting the negative cases properly.