~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

40 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

The U.S. and U.K. look very vulnerable to another severe outbreak. Our declines aren't nearly as steep or complete as other developed countries in Europe, yet we are reopening.

This is what happens with an inadequate federal response meets leadership by amoral business people

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This whole pandemic is gonna spawn a whole new spate of "socially conscious" zombie movies isn't it?

I think it be cool. Like if Max Brooks did a world war z novel using the info this pandemic provided 

Just now, Zaku3 said:

I think it be cool. Like if Max Brooks did a world war z novel using the info this pandemic provided 

Lol he already did... it's called World War Z :lol: He predicted most of this in that novel except he anticipated a more competent response.

This was posted earlier but it gives you an idea of how his actual pandemic research informed World War Z

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Be careful when reading Nate silver re: pandemic stuff 

Nate expresses doubt all the time if you actually read his stuff. He doesn't confidently say anything and puts disclaimers on what he says all the time.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

He was definitely out of his realm there, but it also doesn't invalidate everything else he says.

Hopefully he will correct himself without attempting to save face with some hedging. It's an understandable mistake as he appears to just be someone trying to apply his wheelhouse to something that superficially appears to relate to it, but doesn't for fairly specialized reasons. My first thought was that he looked like a basketball player that tried to play soccer and grabbed the ball out of the air. Understandable, but own it and move on.

16 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Good Christ.

Even I -- a glorified accountant -- know that there is no such bloody thing as "partial" herd immunity.

AND WE HAVE NO CLUE IF THIS THING CONFERS ANY IMMUNITY AT ALL!

This! I keep stressing this tom people and the fact that they can't definitively say whether or not it does makes me think it doesn't.