Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The Xbox 360 had a proprietary hard drive as well. It was only a matter of time until they let you plug whatever you had in there. I'm sure they'll free the hard drive sometime in the future.

There were multiple brands for the 360 available beyond the official.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

There were multiple brands for the 360 available beyond the official.

I think that is what @Keyser_Sozewas intending to communicate, that it was once just the proprietary unit at launch and later they opened up to 3rd party options which he suspects will be the case for the Series X/S.

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think that is what @Keyser_Sozewas intending to communicate, that it was once just the proprietary unit at launch and later they opened up to 3rd party options which he suspects will be the case for the Series X/S.

The thing is that it’s a third party exclusivity deal with seagate for an undisclosed amount of time. The 360 used a proprietary connector and MS was the one releasing the hdds for it as MS/Xbox branded ones (no idea who actually made the actual hdd on the inside). Third party drives, iirc, were available within months of 360’s release (basically as soon as third parties got their hands on hardware and figured out how to make something that would connect to that port). This situation is seemingly a bit different to my knowledge.

All-in-all, IMO, it’s a bit lame that MS decided this route instead of what Sony did. I understand the “why” of getting money from Seagate for the deal and to be able to have the expansion spec’d correctly to match the internal but… yeesh! These prices! :p 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The thing is that it’s a third party exclusivity deal with seagate for an undisclosed amount of time. The 360 used a proprietary connector and MS was the one releasing the hdds for it as MS/Xbox branded ones (no idea who actually made the actual hdd on the inside). Third party drives, iirc, were available within months of 360’s release (basically as soon as third parties got their hands on hardware and figured out how to make something that would connect to that port). This situation is seemingly a bit different to my knowledge.

All-in-all, IMO, it’s a bit lame that MS decided this route instead of what Sony did. I understand the “why” of getting money from Seagate for the deal and to be able to have the expansion spec’d correctly to match the internal but… yeesh! These prices! :p 

I want to interview the people with a Xbox Series S and the 2tb expansion card.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepee

dUy9Fpz6U4oK36xgMJzEBZ-1200-80.png
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Cheap Xbox Series X|S storage upgrades possible with conversion adapter.

Looks like it works, BUT, only certain drives work and an actual list doesn’t seem to exist yet

Ok so in other words, we are super close to being able to have this not rip us off so hold off on wasting money on the official one. :P

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok so in other words, we are super close to being able to have this not rip us off so hold off on wasting money on the official one. :P

We just need a list of which drives work. It’s also those weird stubby ones apparently so we still need an adapter for full sized m.2s, I think :sadsun:

EDIT: looks like this one only works with a WD CH SN530

EDIT EDIT: Aaaaaand they’re like $150 for 1tb ones, making this pointless unless you really want to save $30

29 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Add me Bmac1632

added, always forget ur bmac lol  

Edit: I have to say that after the annoyance of getting the thing, the actual set up was just simply wonderful. Everything was quick and painless and I was in and playing one of the 350+ games that were already there installed waiting for me. Just really smooth, and made me more excited to own this thing.

• Like 1
  • True 1

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I actually meant there was whatever funky drive the had and eventually they let you plug USB sticks or whatever in.

Having never actually seen one in person, it’s actually a lot smaller than I thought. Seems a lot more convenient to move around than the ps5, though I still appreciate how bizarre that system looks. Ports are much nicer to reach than ps5 as well which I appreciate being someone who can’t really get low to the ground easily anymore.

Did the gamepad get smaller than the previous ones? I’ve been using a razer wolverine tournament xbox gamepad so idk if that size is bigger than normal but the xbox sx pad feels small to me.

On a side note, COD Vanguard looks phenomenal. I never played MW19 so I didn’t realize how much better this engine update is. The lighting and animation and character models are top notch, really incredible looking game actually. The first level was great too. I’m actually pretty happy this was the game I got if I had to get one bundled with it.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Did the gamepad get smaller than the previous ones? I’ve been using a razer wolverine tournament xbox gamepad so idk if that size is bigger than normal but the xbox sx pad feels small to me.

It feels slightly larger to me. (Compared to the Bone controller)

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Having never actually seen one in person, it’s actually a lot smaller than I thought. Seems a lot more convenient to move around than the ps5, though I still appreciate how bizarre that system looks. Ports are much nicer to reach than ps5 as well which I appreciate being someone who can’t really get low to the ground easily anymore.

On a side note, COD Vanguard looks phenomenal. I never played MW19 so I didn’t realize how much better this engine update is. The lighting and animation and character models are top notch, really incredible looking game actually. The first level was great too. I’m actually pretty happy this was the game I got if I had to get one bundled with it.

The body of the controller has barely changed. Measuring 6 x 4 x 2.47 inches (WDH), versus the Xbox One controller’s 6 x 4 x 2.56, it’s effectively identical. And, weighing in at 287 grams, versus the Xbox One model’s 279 grams, it’s just a hair heavier. (Both weights were measured with two AA batteries inside). Despite a miniscule shift in weight and size, the new controller has a certain heft to it. Like the Xbox Elite Series 2, that weightiness is well balanced so the controller fits well in your hands.

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hoping back and forth from the Dual Sense makes the Xbox controller feel even smaller. Wait until you hop back and forth from the Switch to Deck. 

9 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Hoping back and forth from the Dual Sense makes the Xbox controller feel even smaller. Wait until you hop back and forth from the Switch to Deck. 

Yeah I guess it’s just been awhile since I’ve used a regular xbox pad, I thought at one point it seemed like the larger pad but dualsense def feels bigger and so does my razer, I’m assuming the elite is bigger too.

Okay another question. I’m a bit confused with the X/S thing and what needs to be on internal. How can I tell which games have to be installed on the internal drive? I thought it was all the games that said X/S but Ori 2 for example is on my external drive but I confirmed after the update that it’s the X/S version running 6k downsampled.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Okay another question. I’m a bit confused with the X/S thing and what needs to be on internal. How can I tell which games have to be installed on the internal drive? I thought it was all the games that said X/S but Ori 2 for example is on my external drive but I confirmed after the update that it’s the X/S version running 6k downsampled.

I think if it's a previous gen game with just a resolution or fps boost, it can stay on an external.

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think if it's a previous gen game with just a resolution or fps boost, it can stay on an external.

Well, that’s definitely a good thing overal, just a bit confusing if there is no easy way to tell what games need to be on the internal besides I guess just anything after the launch of XSX that has XS branding is likely internal only.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Just relax and install the game!

NEVER.

Actually so then my question actually is if I set the default drive to be my external will it automatically install games that can only be played on internal on the internal? Or will it annoyingly install a back up on my external that I need to transfer to play?

I assumed it would be that way but it was installing Flight Simulator on the external and that’s a S:X only game isn’t it? It’s confusing ok.

I imagine if it's a plain game with no enhancements at all it won't switch the drive.

I've only played games that it installed  updates for (Last Stop, Jedi Fallen Order, Outriders, Hades, Apex) - That being said all of them say X/S on them. - And it moved them all internally.

EDIT: Actually it keeps two copies, one stays on the external and the one it updates it plays from the internal.

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

I assumed it would be that way but it was installing Flight Simulator on the external and that’s a S:X only game isn’t it? It’s confusing ok.

Sounds like it's going to install it on an external drive and then it will probably move it to the internal drive when you try to play it. That would be my guess.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I imagine if it's a plain game with no enhancements at all it won't switch the drive.

I've only played games that it installed  updates for (Last Stop, Jedi Fallen Order, Outriders, Hades, Apex) - That being said all of them say X/S on them. - And it moved them all internally.

EDIT: Actually it keeps two copies, one stays on the external and the one it updates it plays from the internal.

Sounds like it's going to install it on an external drive and then it will probably move it to the internal drive when you try to play it. That would be my guess.

WELL THAT IS SILLY

You know it's interesting. I remembered I played Sea of Thieves and it did the update and I played it. But looking now I only see it on my external. I tried playing it but either it won't start or it takes 5 minutes to load. So I'm manually moving it to the internal. And it takes 15 cot damn minutes to move!

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know it's interesting. I remembered I played Sea of Thieves and it did the update and I played it. But looking now I only see it on my external. I tried playing it but either it won't start or it takes 5 minutes to load. So I'm manually moving it to the internal. And it takes 15 cot damn minutes to move!

Yeah backing stuff up on the hard drive is useless to me since I have 1gb internet, it’s often faster to download. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think they ended up making it so not all Series X/S games need to run off the internal if they weren't designed to run off the SSD to help with storage space.  Multiplayer games where you are typically waiting for other people to load as well I think may not be required.