Ghost of Tsushima OT - Mud, Blood, and Steel, update: Rivals mode added to Legends

SaysWho?

51 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

RIP single player games.

Ever worse: Ghost of Tsushima Lacks Broad Commercial Appeal – Michael Pachter (Pachter feels like it will be a great game, but without wider appeal)

“I don’t think anything that has that Japanese flavor has broad appeal,” Pachter said. “They’re great games and get high ratings, and the hardcore audiences love them. But, for the average audience, they’re hard games. They’re too hard for most people. I mean, I played Persona 5, one of the highest rated games ever, and I like it, but I can’t believe it went on to sell as many copies as it did. It’s just not the kind of game that seems like it has mass appeal, even though it’s one of the best games ever made, and probably wins Game of the Year. But… going back to Tsushima, no, I don’t think it has broad appeal either.”

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Pachter is a damn idiot and always has been. I can’t remember if it was IGN or GameTrailers (or another) that actually gave him a “prediction show” back in the day, but jfc he was literally ALWAYS wrong on every prediction he made, yet people still loved quoting him.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

In all seriousness, none of the traditional Asian martial arts are worth much for street fights. Competition? 

A few Karate disciplines most definitely are. Judo isn't bad either for ending a fight quickly and Jui-jutsu is always a great compliment to whatever else you're using. Some of the Indonesian and Filipino systems are basically JUST street fighting. Im not talking about McDojo shit. Im talking about pure self defense. 

Sure some of the modern systems for self defense employed by the military and police force have gotten rid of a lot of the fluff, but what they really did was get back to the basics of what those martial arts were before they were watered down.  I believe you're a Krav Maga guy right? That and Systema and the unarmed system the marines teach all pull from a bunch of arts and just focus on what is effective and gets rid of the rest. No Katas or shit like that and focus on drills and muscle memory. 

There's a lot of bullshit out there for sure though. We used to call Tae Kwon Do " Take My Dough" for example because of all the bullshit schools in my area that could teach you how to do a split, but couldn't teach you how to really defend yourself in a fight. 

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A few Karate disciplines most definitely are. Judo isn't bad either for ending a fight quickly and Jui-jutsu is always a great compliment to whatever else you're using. Some of the Indonesian and Filipino systems are basically JUST street fighting. Im not talking about McDojo shit. Im talking about pure self defense. 

Sure some of the modern systems for self defense employed by the military and police force have gotten rid of a lot of the fluff, but what they really did was get back to the basics of what those martial arts were before they were watered down.  I believe you're a Krav Maga guy right? That and Systema and the unarmed system the marines teach all pull from a bunch of arts and just focus on what is effective and gets rid of the rest. No Katas or shit like that and focus on drills and muscle memory. 

There's a lot of bullshit out there for sure though. We used to call Tae Kwon Do " Take My Dough" for example because of all the bullshit schools in my area that could teach you how to do a split, but couldn't teach you how to really defend yourself in a fight. 

Yep. That’s why I said “traditional” ones :p

Yes, I’m a Krav Maga instructor, and thankfully not from one of the BS watered-down exercise class organizations for it. 
My one rule is that if the martial art you’re training in has rules within the combat, you’re learning competition based stuff. Gouge eyes, kick groins, elbow skulls.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, I’m a Krav Maga instructor, and thankfully not from one of the BS watered-down exercise class organizations for it. 
My one rule is that if the martial art you’re training in has rules within the combat, you’re learning competition based stuff. Gouge eyes, kick groins, elbow skulls.

napoleon dynamite rex GIF

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

In all seriousness, none of the traditional Asian martial arts are worth much for street fights. Competition? Sure.

I'd throw Muay Thai in there. Then again I'm not up on the definition of traditional, just know its origins date back a fair stretch by now.

I'm not a strict Thai guy but rather of the Mike Passenier type of style though, very Dutch.

Finished Chapter 2 last night.

The main story missions are still fantastic and fun.  Story is still well done as well.

The side mission stuff for me has become pretty mundane and boring.  The "Character" Side missions are more interesting than the others, but overall it's all gotten very repetitive for me.

World is still gorgeous to explore though, I really enjoyed exploring the entire area.

Difficulty spiked up to start the chapter, but now it's basically braindead easy.  Even without using any of the Ghost weapons or anything, using only Traveling Attire, the ability to heal so easily and rejuvenating Resolve makes the game a cakewalk where it feels impossible to die. 

Hoping to wrap it up this weekend.

23 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What armor/hat/mask/headband/sword sheath + colors is everyone using for Jin?

Here’s my current:

E4-E9-D27-F-8419-4-D13-A394-BF8-FFEB8-BC 

I really like the kensei robe or whatever but the fact that it's ghost skill perks makes me not wear it as often.  I'm just rocking Sakai armor right now with triple stagger charms.  Stagger build is kind of OP.  You can take it further with the gosoku? Armor but I prefer the scales of the Sakai. 

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Finished Chapter 2 last night.

The main story missions are still fantastic and fun.  Story is still well done as well.

The side mission stuff for me has become pretty mundane and boring.  The "Character" Side missions are more interesting than the others, but overall it's all gotten very repetitive for me.

World is still gorgeous to explore though, I really enjoyed exploring the entire area.

Difficulty spiked up to start the chapter, but now it's basically braindead easy.  Even without using any of the Ghost weapons or anything, using only Traveling Attire, the ability to heal so easily and rejuvenating Resolve makes the game a cakewalk where it feels impossible to die. 

Hoping to wrap it up this weekend.

Chapter 3 has a huge spike. I was walking through Chapter 2 enemies and Chapter 3 is just “yeesh” at times. I’m already adjusting, though.

59 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I had to lower the difficulty to easy. :(

I just don't have the reflexes I used to have. I can't keep up and get fucked up pretty easily with a group of enemies swarming me. I even died in combat on easy, lol 

Great game so far. 6 hours in.

It’s a little rough at first, but once you learn the window for parrying (it’s not last minute like in every other game, there’s a huge window. Trying to block last minute gets you killed) and get a few techniques it stops being frustrating.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I had to lower the difficulty to easy. :(

I just don't have the reflexes I used to have. I can't keep up and get fucked up pretty easily with a group of enemies swarming me. I even died in combat on easy, lol 

Great game so far. 6 hours in.

Did you get the clan armor yet? If you're going around early game in the traveler outfit, it's going to be a fair bit harder. So if you haven't gotten it yet, prioritize getting the clan armor.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Did you get the clan armor yet? If you're going around early game in the traveler outfit, it's going to be a fair bit harder. So if you haven't gotten it yet, prioritize getting the clan armor.

I'm pretty sure I got the clan armor. 

Spoiler

Wasn't it given to me by a blacksmith in that small village in act 1?

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm pretty sure I got the clan armor. 

Reveal hidden contents

I think so as part of the quest

Spoiler

Associated with masako 

33 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I sometimes find it hard to parry because of the camera angle. Jin blocks my view at times which leads to some unfortunate deaths. Also getting stuck on small ledges isn’t a ton of fun. 

Learning how to constantly maneuver the camera is key in this game. It's just as bad as Maneater's camera. There's a significant learning curve :/ 

I haven't encountered being stuck on a ledge, though. :confused:

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yup, I got it. Thanks for the help though.

Personally, I found the Ronin Attire much more useful. Track that down. It increases Melee damage.

The thing I love about this game is that it doesn't try to "hide" or limit you getting stances/skills/upgrades/whatever. Something like AC generally makes you wait forever for your next technique point, Tsushima goes "oh, here, you need this!" every few minutes. It's refreshing that it's not an endless chase.