Half Life: Alyx - Information Thread, update: "BioShock" mod is now a full-length campaign

DarkStar189

On 11/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, DarkStar189 said:

It looked like your hands have something built on to them that sucks things to your hands. At one point it looked like she pulled something off a soldier from a short distance. Maybe through the game it evolves. Built in gravity gun. 

I liked that bit. The mechanics they showed off are pretty standard in VR, but there usually isn't an in game reason for why it works. It's nice that they built one into this.

Also, not sure who saw the minimum requirements, but they're significant:

Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started watching those and decided I'll just play it. Teleportation isn't my favorite, but as of now there aren't many better options. Everything else continues to look like it's setting a new standard for narrative VR games. Really need to get my Oculus working again on my new PC.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I started watching those and decided I'll just play it. Teleportation isn't my favorite, but as of now there aren't many better options. Everything else continues to look like it's setting a new standard for narrative VR games. Really need to get my Oculus working again on my new PC.

Each video shows a different movement type. Teleportation looks like it breaks the immersion big time and would make the game super easy.

I thought continuous looked the best and then shift is probably a good compromise between the two (teleportation and continuous)

Not sold on the new Alyx voice actor but looking back the old one wasn't super amazing either.  🤷

54 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Each video shows a different movement type. Teleportation looks like it breaks the immersion big time and would make the game super easy.

I thought continuous looked the best and then shift is probably a good compromise between the two (teleportation and continuous)

Not sold on the new Alyx voice actor but looking back the old one wasn't super amazing either.  🤷

Cool, I didn't watch each one. I'll probably start with shift, hopefully that one strikes the right compromise between immersion and what my stomach can take.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:55 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

To be fair continuous moves really slow, it appears, for your stomach!

TWD:S&S is this way and I feel like it works fairly well. They have some motion sickness settings too which they vignette your FOV while moving.

Teleporting I find to be more difficult because you usually have to teleport, recognize your new spot and turn (if necessary) to face where you want to be. All in real time while things are coming/shooting at you isn't ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

First review comes from Edge who awarded it a 9:

- They're fans of the gloves and the small things they let you do. Not revolutionary, but still very, very useful and intuitive
- Feels very much like a Half-Life game still and they were impressed how that gameplay translated well to VR
- They thought the story was serviceable but really liked the writing.
- Beautiful world that gives you a chance to explore - slower pace than traditional FPS games, but very thrilling when the battles do arrive

IGN - 100%

Back when VR first became a real thing and we all started spitballing which game worlds we’d most like to be fully immersed in, Half-Life topped my list (tied with BioShock). It took a few years, but Half-Life: Alyx has more than realized that potential. With it, Valve has set a new bar for VR in interactivity, detail, and level design, showing what can happen when a world-class developer goes all-in on the new frontier of technology. In a lot of ways, it feels like a game from the future, and one that the rest of VR gaming will likely take a good long while to match, much less surpass.

Gamespot - 90%

Not only has Half-Life: Alyx made good on its shift to VR, it has elevated many of the aspects we've come to love about Half-Life games. It may not be as bombastic as previous games, but the intimacy of VR brings you closer to a world you might have thought you knew over the past 22 years. Even when familiarity starts to settle in, its gameplay systems still shine as a cohesive whole. And as it concludes, Half-Life: Alyx hits you with something unforgettable, transcending VR tropes for one of gaming's greatest moments.

VG 24/7 - 100%

We’re in an unprecedented moment in time and we’re all scared, we all have our worries – whether it’s about family members, yourself, or losing your job. In these crazy times it’s so hard to focus on anything, but a VR set and Alyx is like your own personal headcrab, blocking out the senses and letting you puppeteer someone through a series of events where you’re the sole agent of change. Where you don’t feel powerless. Alyx’s main fault is its hardware barrier – I wish more people could afford to experience it. The last thing we need is more people locked off from each other. My neighbours might be quiet, but if we all open our windows at the same time, we’ll hear the same birds singing their song.

Dualshockers - 100%

In the sense of gameplay mechanics and storytelling, Half-Life: Alyx manages to perfectly capture all of the qualities that makes the series so compelling. If you’ve been hoping to see what a Half-Life game looks like in 2020, you surely will be satisfied. But what Half-Life: Alyx really captures so effectively is how it uses VR to make an already impressively-detailed world feel that much more believable and tangible. Seeing the sheer size of Combine architecture looming over the skyline of City 17 and the dust particles in the air, or traversing through alien pathways filled with bizarre creatures and luminescent light particles from Xen; it all feels that much more real through virtual reality, and a perfect match with the world of Half-Life.

As an experience built from the ground up for immersion and creating a fully-realized world, Half-Life: Alyx is truly a game-changer for VR. This is not merely “Half-Life VR,” but an incredibly crafted game that shows how VR can be used to elevate more in-depth narratives to even greater potential. And, as the game goes on, you’ll see how it becomes a crucial part of the Half-Life universe. It’s been a long 13 years, and yes, it may not be Half-Life 3, but I can assure you that Half-Life: Alyx is entirely worth the wait and is an experience worth seeing for yourself, if only to find out what comes next.

Rise and shine, Alyx Vance.

Shacknews - 90%

Half-Life: Alyx is a wonderful new addition to the franchise and sets a path forward for future games to take place in the same universe hopefully powered by this latest iteration of the Source Engine. Valve has showcased a clear way for developers to create a high quality AAA experience built for VR that still hits all the marks of a traditional PC game. While many players will be longing for the days of playing as the silent hero Gordon Freeman, it was an absolute delight to navigate this latest story. "I knew if you both stayed together you could get through anything,“ said G-Man once upon a time, but Alyx showed everyone just how powerful of a bad ass she is when tasked with her own adventure.

Gamesbeat - 80%

Half-Life: Alyx is one of the most immersive and impressive VR games out there. If you’re a fan of VR or of the Half-Life series, it’s an easy recommendation. But if you don’t want to play something this stressful at this particular moment, I wouldn’t blame you. This game makes Half-Life 2 look like a fun jot through Disneyland. Alyx ups the scares and the pressure with its focus on survival-horror.

That certainly makes Half-Life: Alyx the most intense entry in the franchise yet. But it isn’t as fun as Half-Life 2. That game had you feeling like a god, while Alyx will have you feeling like prey. Now, some of this comes down to personal preference. I’ve never been a big horror guy. But even with that aside, Alyx doesn’t quite have the variety or charm of Half-Life 2 or other Valve masterpieces like Portal 2.

But judged on its merits as a VR game, it excels. If you’re looking for something to wow you with what the technology can do, this will get that job done.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

Half-Life: Alyx is the Half-Life game you’ve been waiting for, even if it’s not the one you were expecting – and even if you’ll never play it. Valve’s first full virtual reality game is a masterclass of first-person shooter design that makes clear the company haven’t forgotten anything about making these kinds of games in the nine years since Portal 2, or the 13 years since Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

But Half-Life is back, and Valve has finally released another AAA single-player game, something many of us doubted the company ever would, or even could, do again. The impossible has already been achieved, and the fact that it’s happening in VR only makes it more novel. Valve has succeeded at just about every goal it must have had for this project. The only thing left is whether hardcore fans will be willing to buy, and use, a virtual reality headset in order to learn what happens next in the world of Half-Life.

PCGamesN - 90%

But any resultant frustration quickly fades, as the last few levels of Alyx are astounding – immensely creative as both a culmination of the game’s mechanics and a wildly varied presentation of new stuff. And while it’s probably impossible to satisfy nearly 13 years of expectations after the end of Episode Two, Alyx does its damnedest to open the Half-Life universe to new stories again. By the end, it feels like Valve is grabbing you by the shoulders, screaming ‘we are going to make more Half-Life games!’ It’s ever-so-slightly hammy, sure, but in a warm, endearing way that shows just the right amount of reverence to the stories that have come before.

PC Gamer - 92%

Half-Life: Alyx took me roughly 13 hours to complete, and while the slow and measured pace and claustrophobic setting of the first half felt occasionally stifling, the second half flew by as the intrigue of the story took hold and the combat got far more exciting, varied, and fast-paced. 

The ending is, frankly, wonderful, surprising, exciting, not to mention more than a bit puzzling when you really stop to think about it. I'm eager to see Half-Life fans react and dissect and discuss it, as I'm sure they will for months afterwards, and it makes all sorts of follow-ups to Half-Life: Alyx seem possible. I just fervently hope whatever that follow-up is, that Valve (please, please) doesn't make us wait another 13 years for it.

Eurogamer - Recommended

There are ingenious set-pieces, increasingly piling up towards the end of the campaign, but I'm so struck through by the sheer thrift of a lot of it. It's that restraint again: make the VR work, get a handful of killer things out of it, and then repeat and remix without breaking the spell. There are Hollywood moments that will stick with me, but I also remember being in a room filled with oil drums while a tank of explosive gas was being winched up towards the mouth of one of those horrible limpet things that sit on the ceiling. That's the kind of clock Valve likes to put in a scene to add suspense. Hitchcock would be proud: you can see all the moving parts and yet the magic is still there.

USgamer - 90%

Half-Life: Alyx is billed as a VR return to the series, and that's exactly what it delivers. It does what Half-Life has historically done well, and without the clouding of nostalgia or unhelpful notions of what constitutes "revolutionary" design, it ranks alongside Half-Life 2. It is a full-length VR experience that both needs to be in VR, but that uses the tech to more strongly evoke the same feelings you got with a mouse and keyboard years ago. There are some small flaws that are no more annoying than over-long sewer odysseys or having to crouch jump were in past games, and its spectacle hits the hardest of any in the series. It sets Half-Life up for a compelling future—here's hoping we see it.

I jumped in for a few minutes because I couldn't help myself, even though I do need to do some work. The things that stuck out the most to me in the introductory minutes of the game are:

-The graphics are great. Not "good for VR," which is usually like a mid-tier console game, but legitimately excellent. I suppose you get a very good sense from the gameplay videos, but seeing it in VR is really something else. The character models in particular stand out.

-The level of detail in the world is at another level. The graphical fidelity really makes all the difference, but if it was a barren wasteland it would be all for not. That's very much not the case here. It's dense and detailed beyond most games, and with nearly everything being interactive, it's amazing.

-I have a launch Oculus Rift and I haven't used it in a while, and I really wish I had a HMD with a much higher resolution display.

-It's weird that a Half Life game and a VR game has the player character talking. It's not bad, but it's weird.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I jumped in for a few minutes because I couldn't help myself, even though I do need to do some work. The things that stuck out the most to me in the introductory minutes of the game are:

-The graphics are great. Not "good for VR," which is usually like a mid-tier console game, but legitimately excellent. I suppose you get a very good sense from the gameplay videos, but seeing it in VR is really something else. The character models in particular stand out.

-The level of detail in the world is at another level. The graphical fidelity really makes all the difference, but if it was a barren wasteland it would be all for not. That's very much not the case here. It's dense and detailed beyond most games, and with nearly everything being interactive, it's amazing.

-I have a launch Oculus Rift and I haven't used it in a while, and I really wish I had a HMD with a much higher resolution display.

-It's weird that a Half Life game and a VR game has the player character talking. It's not bad, but it's weird.

Yeah, I can agree with all of this. Played for about an hour and a half/two hours and its just a series of "holy shit" moments and visuals. I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of custom VR stuff in Japan and the coolest thing I played was the untethered shooting game at Club Sega. While obviously I don't have the luxury of fully free walking, as a home experience this is nothing short of amazing.

Half-Life: Alyx Behind the Scenes, Part 1: How Valve Found Its New Alyx (USgamer)

Today marks the release of Half-Life: Alyx, a virtual reality-exclusive title and the series' first installment in over 12 years. This being Valve's first full-length single-player game in close to a decade, on top of being a Half-Life title, means this is the first time that some relatively recent hires have had a chance to make their mark. It's also the chance for some longtime Valve employees to take on a more significant role in Half-Life.

Half-Life: Alyx was in development at Valve for about four years, during which Erik Wolpaw and Chris Remo were only around for about half of the time. Wolpaw, who joined Valve as a writer in the mid-2000s, left the company shortly after the earliest VR experiments that led to Half-Life's return got under way. Remo and his comrades from Campo Santo—the developers of Firewatch—all joined Valve in 2018, when Alyx was well into production. Wolpaw then came back to Valve as a contractor later that year.

Remo, a designer and programmer on Alyx, remembers playing the original Half-Life games as a fan; Wolpaw helped out on the Half-Life 2 Episodes, but those were still mainly the domain of original series writer Marc Laidlaw (Wolpaw also, of course, wrote for Portal and Left 4 Dead). Half-Life: Alyx is Remo's first Half-Life game as a developer, and it's the first time a team has taken over from Laidlaw, who announced his retirement from Valve in 2016. Wolpaw, Jay Pinkerton, and Campo Santo's Sean Vanaman worked out Alyx's story together.

In the past year, Remo says Half-Life: Alyx has become "almost a whole new game." USgamer had the opportunity to chat with Remo and Wolpaw ahead of Alyx's release. In this installment, we talk broadly about coming back to Half-Life, designing for VR, and the fate of other projects like Double Fine's Psychonauts 2 (which Wolpaw wrote for) and Campo Santo's on-hiatus In the Valley of Gods.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a prequel to HL2

How does this control on an OG Vive?

Controls just fine WMR controllers, though the original Vive wands don't have a joystick on them so that might complicate things a bit.

Got a good 3-4 hours playtime and gonna call it for the night. Physically takes a bit of a toll being in VR for extended periods of time, not just the weight of the headset but standing and holding the controllers in kind of an awkward position for so long has given me some soreness.

The replacement of Merle Dandridge as Alyx was unfortunate but the new lady does a good job. The loss of Robert Guillaume as Eli is a much bigger hit.

Game Information

Game Title: Half-Life: Alyx

Platforms:

• HTC Vive (Mar 23, 2020)
  • Oculus Rift (Mar 23, 2020)

Developer: Valve

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 93 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Attack of the Fanboy - 5 / 5 stars

All future VR games will look to Half Life: Alyx as the gold standard hereon, and thanks to its absolute excellence in design and presentation we are all the better for it. Virtual reality will never be the same, nor will Half Life after Alyx's jaw-dropping conclusion.

CGMagazine - 10 / 10

Genre-bending and hauntingly mesmerizing, Half-Life Alyx brings the series as it should have always been experienced while doing the impossible: surpassing Half Life 2.

Daily Star - 5 / 5 stars

It’s equal parts enchanting and terrifying, and it’s sure to be one of the turning points in VR for many of us.

DualShockers - 10 / 10

Through the lens of VR, Half-Life: Alyx is an amazing experience that blends action and storytelling with a profound level of immersion.

Gameblog - French - 10 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is truly the new standard bearer for virtual reality. This is a major, not to say revolutionary, title, as was Half-Life and Half-Life 2 in their time. For more than 10 hours of play, we live the horrifying, supernatural and science fiction adventures of Alyx, as if we were there. A Masterpiece !

Guardian - 5 / 5 stars

The classic shooter series gains a thrilling new perspective, thanks to VR tech that works symbiotically with the narrative

IGN - 10 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx has set a new bar for VR in interactivity, detail, and level design, showing what can happen when a world-class developer goes all-in on the new frontier of technology.

Spiel Times - 10 / 10

In those halcyon days for Valve, there was no way of knowing that Half-Life fans would have to wait more than a decade for a new entry in the hallowed franchise. But twelve years, five months, and thirteen days later, a strange thing happened: a new Half-Life game released. It’s called Half-Life: Alyx, and it’s brilliant.

Telegraph - 5 / 5 stars

The hysteria generated by last year's surprise announcement heralding the return of the genre-defining but long-presumed killed-in-action shooter series Half-Life was quickly tempered by news it would do so exclusively in virtual reality.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

It turns out Valve just needed new tech. It just needed VR. And it’s what I needed, too.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.8 / 10

Valve selects the best features of VR action games and takes them to another level. Half-Life: Alyx is not innovative in choosing what is needed for the perfect virtual reality experience – between interactivity of the environment, gestural use of firearms or environmental puzzles – but it is in putting together everything in the style of Half-Life. The kind of first person game that made the series famous, and forever changed the action adventure into a "before and after Gordon Freeman", returns to linear origins without genres contamination, becoming an immersive sim only for what falls within our view, or what we can physically accomplish in a crazy City 17. Masterful.

Worth Playing - 9.8 / 10

This title couldn't have been done any other way; Alyx is a masterful addition to anyone's VR game library.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9.5 / 10

With Half-Life: Alyx, Valve has proved once again that they are the best. After a few underwhelming projects like Artifact or Dota Underlords, the developers went back to their roots and created a superb single-player game. Alyx has a great storyline with fun characters and offers unique gameplay utilizing a technology capable of delivering a new experience. This VR title is a true revelation.

Gamersky - Chinese - 9.5 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx has shown the great potential of VR and set a very high standard for the whole industry. It's definitely a must-buy game for VR gamers.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9.5 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is the new bar for Virtual Reality. Valve has made a game so realistic, immersive and detailed that we can consider it a main iteration of Half-Life. Only its story, something fair in what it contributes to the saga make it not have a perfect score.

Press Start - 9.5 / 10

I'd declare Half-Life: Alyx the new age of the first-person shooter, if the uptake of virtual reality had been a little more promising so far. It is a cut above everything I've ever played within a headset and it's a brave, risky step for a long-dormant series to take. It takes a special team to withhold for thirteen years and deliver on an impossible hype and yet Half-Life: Alyx was worth every one of those 4,548 days.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

Return to City 17 in VR is grandiose. Half Life is still alive and now it looks even more like real.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.3 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is an incredible demonstration of what can be done with virtual reality. Nobody, so far, has put the amount of resources and research that Valve did. This might not be the killer application VR needs, but it's an excellent game, worthy of the main series of Half-Life.

PC Gamer - 92 / 100

With old friends, new enemies, and an exciting story, revisiting City 17 in VR is a thrill in Half-Life: Alyx.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is the perfect example of the best Virtual Reality can be. After years of what felt like nothing more than tech demos or ports, this game has arrived to show everyone how it’s done.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is an accomplishment no matter which way you spin it.

GBAtemp - 9 / 10

If you were waiting for that one "killer game" before you wanted to dip into the VR scene, this is it. If you already have a PC VR headset, you absolutely must own this game. Half-Life: Alyx is easily one of the best VR games I've ever played, easily beating out my previous favorite Beat Saber, and every Half-Life fan should experience the game in one way or another.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

The dense campaign never lets up with surprising reveals, new enemies, and witty dialogue to carry you through the exciting journey

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

If you were worried about the quality, you can calmly exhale - Valve has not forgotten how to make great games. Half-Life: Alyx is not just the best and most beautiful project for virtual reality to date, but also an excellent and very worthy addition to the Half-Life series. It is simply a "must have" in the collection of a fan of the genre and franchise. If you were looking for a reason to buy an expensive VR helmet for PC, then you have finally found it. And everyone else should at least play it at a friend's house. And, Valve, you are now obligated to release Half-Life 3!

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is a tremendous VR experience that captures and elevates what makes the series special.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

Not just a Half-Life game, but an invitation to live in its world.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is a triumph for VR games and sets the benchmark for other developers to follow suit.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx sets a new high standard for VR games, both in technical terms and gameplay itself. Visually impressive and customizable for accessibility, Alyx's 20-hour campaign strikes an enjoyable balance between action, horror, puzzle-solving, and humor. VR gamers shouldn't miss this one.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Confidently serves as both a vindication for the magic VR can bring to gaming, and a satisfying new entry in the beloved Half-Life series.Dustin Bailey

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Valve has showcased a clear way for developers to create a high quality AAA experience built for VR that still hits all the marks of a traditional PC game.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9 / 10

Half-Life: Alyx is a true Half-Life, a real game that lives inside our VR system and expands the dimension made by a videogame.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5 stars

Prepare for the experience of your life in the best VR game yet from legendary Developers Valve. Valve have taken all their innovative ideas that they've kept bottle up for years and finally unleashed them unto the world.

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

Valve has surpassed impossible expectations with Half-Life: Alyx, bringing a series long thought buried back into the limelight with extraordinary impact. While some might find it unfortunate that such an experience is housed inside virtual reality, I feel it's an innovative step forward for the series. If you have the means to play it, Half-Life: Alyx is absolutely essential.

USgamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

Half-Life: Alyx is billed as a VR return to the series, and that's exactly what it delivers. It does what Half-Life has historically done well, and without the clouding of nostalgia or unhelpful notions of what constitutes "revolutionary" design, it ranks alongside Half-Life 2.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

Half-life: Alyx falls short on accounts of length and issues with the platform, but manages it strengths well enough to be a game that can push the platform further and set a new standard.

GamesBeat - 80 / 100

But judged on its merits as a VR game, it excels. If you're looking for something to wow you with what the technology can do, this will get that job done.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

An incredible technical achievement but one that is surprisingly short of genuinely new ideas, and often struggles to get the balance right between VR showpiece and satisfying gameplay experience.

Tech Advisor - 4 / 5 stars

Tight gunplay and a solid, ambitious crack at AAA VR mean that Half-Life: Alyx is one of the big hits of virtual reality.

While the combat could be a little too mellow for some, the ambulatory opening is dripping with atmosphere and provides a nice way for players new to VR to get familiar.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Ars Technica - Unscored

The masses may not rush out to buy a VR set to play Half-Life: Alyx. But anyone who loves video games should look at this game as a next logical step in the possibilities of dramatic, interactive storytelling. Bravo, Valve. Bravo.

Eurogamer - Recommended

City 17 provides the setting for a VR adventure filled with brilliant detailing.

Expansive - Masterpiece

Put in plain terms, if Beat Saber put VR on the map, then Half Life Alyx is the reason you chart a course. It's everything VR has needed and the return to a classic franchise we've been waiting for.

Kotaku - Unscored

Half-Life: Alyx reaches some astoundingly high heights while also managing to be both too ambitious and too conservative for its own good.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Valve has succeeded at just about every goal it must have had for this project. The only thing left is whether hardcore fans will be willing to buy, and use, a virtual reality headset in order to learn what happens next in the world of Half-Life.

The good news is that those who do will experience what is likely the best VR game released to date.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

I hope I don’t have to wait for brain-computer interfaces to exist before the series returns again, because despite a handful of complaints, I still think Valve make the best first-person shooters around.