What is the best online console shooter (or series)?

AbsolutSurgen

What is the best online console shooter (or series)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best online console shooter?

• Call of Duty
    • Battlefield
    • Battlefront
    • PUBG
    • Titanfall
    • Fortnite
    • Quake
    • Doom
    • Rainbow Six (Incl. Siege)
    • Destiny
    • Apex Legends
    • Overwatch
    • The Division
    • Team Fortress
    • Other
    • Halo
    • Socom
    • MAG

I played a good bit of Halo in the early days, but haven't really touched the multiplayer in the last few iterations.

Battlefield is really the only one that's been consistently my jam. The large maps, slightly slower pace, and ability to be constructive in multiple ways (healing, capturing control points, etc.) makes it a better fit for my play style and limited talents. 

33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You have shit taste if you don't think Halo is Top Tier. Also delusional. Halo was a cultural phenomenon for years. 

I typed in the first five games off the top of my list, and added the rest based on a google search (which apparently didn't include Halo -- it may have been PC focused).  I literally spent about a minute creating the poll.  I was trolling in the second post, to see how easy it would be to get a rise out of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I also didn’t add Killzone. Tried to only include the top tier shooters. 

and you didn't think Halo was a toe tier shooter? The reason for the early success of the xbox was because of halo

and now that you got me thinking of shooters ...and the early days of console online, I have some crazy fond memories of SCOCOM, not saying it's a top tier by any stretch but damn did I have fun with that one online. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

and you didn't think Halo was a toe tier shooter? The reason for the early success of the xbox was because of halo

and now that you got me thinking of shooters ...and the early days of console online, I have some crazy fond memories of SCOCOM, not saying it's a top tier by any stretch but damn did I have fun with that one online. 

I was trolling him (see other post).

I added SOCOM … and MAG for good measure.

6 minutes ago, atom631 said:

If you didn’t pick Battlefield, you’re wrong  

Nah, this is best console shooter. Personally, I have only liked Bad Company version of Battlefield. I also enjoyed BFBC2's MP more than Halo's MP, that is if you ignore custom games like zombies. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Legacy-wise I think it has to be Halo or COD. Halo has obviously fallen from grace, but it was the peak of console shooters for years. 

IMO, Halo 1-Reach is the peak and no shooter, on console, has reached its level. 

I don't honestly know what makes a shooter better than another. I'm not competitive and don't enjoy eSports or the like, so I doubt I'm aware of what makes one better than another. What I do like is a fun ride through a atmosphere of story telling that makes the story spool out with good pacing, and great set piece moments. With those criteria in mind, I'd have to go with either Halo or COD. If only Titan Fall 1 had the an SP campaign like 2 did, then I'd be voting for Titanfall all the way! For my tastes, T1 was a curiosity, whereas T2 was a master piece! 

Without any context. Fortnite is really cream of the crop right now, CoD is still the cultural phenomenon it’s always been. Titanfall has horrible player retention and really lacks in offerings compared to the rest. Battlefield hasn’t been good since 3. Destiny is great, but comparing its PvP (since that’s what most of these games are) Destiny leaves a lot to be desired. PUBG and R6S are a shell of their PC counterparts. Apex is probably somewhere in the middle.

I’m partial to Halo. There really isn’t anything else like it on the market. Even with the disappointment of MCC and Halo 5 I still find myself playing a bad port of an amazing game that came out 10+ years ago every now and again. No other game has really left that impression on me where I’ve continually played it for the majority of my life.

Console?  Destiny for me.  For all it's progression frustrations, the gameplay is nearly flawless.  I am not a fan of shooters on consoles in general; I play most of my shooters on PC.  But I can't remember a shooter that felt as tight with a controller as Destiny.  Every other console shooter I've ever played, I felt like I was compromising control over playing on a PC.  With Destiny I didn't feel that.