Star Citizen - Information Thread (Update: Squadron 42 is "feature complete")

Xbob42

• 2 years later...

I actually downloaded and played about 4-5 hours of it a month or so ago. There's a game there. A wildly complicated game. But it exists.

Took me about 3 hours to just find my ship. And then another 2 hours or so to figure out how to fly and reach an mission objective. Even though it was supposed to be like a tutorial mission to find a shoot down an enemy it seemed like he smoked me pretty easily.

• Sicko 1

29 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I can never get over the fact that I listen to at least 3 gaming podcasts a week, try to keep up with all the latest and greatest in tech, gaming forums, etc.....and nobody ever fucking talks about the game.  Star Citizen and GTA Online seem to defy the laws of gaming.

Probably depends on where you go. We are ultimately in the mainstream gaming echo chamber. Hell even PC gaming reddit barely posts about CSGO, Fortnite, DOTA, and LOL and 2 of those games are number 1 and 2 on steam at all times. To their credit niche stuff does get posted there but like other video game forums no chance.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I can never get over the fact that I listen to at least 3 gaming podcasts a week, try to keep up with all the latest and greatest in tech, gaming forums, etc.....and nobody ever fucking talks about the game.  Star Citizen and GTA Online seem to defy the laws of gaming.

GB and other podcasts have discussed this sort of thing already, it doesn’t serve either audience for them to talk about these things in any length.  A general audience doesn’t want or need constant GTA online updates unless it’s particularly weird, and people who want discussion of GTA online don’t want to hear all about Stray or Rollerdrome.  You do a bad job of catering to either audience.  People who are really into things like Star Citizen, GTA, Roblox, Fortnite, Minecraft, whatever can find dedicated podcasts and sites that cater to what they want and the generalists can stay the generalists.  

25 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

GB and other podcasts have discussed this sort of thing already, it doesn’t serve either audience for them to talk about these things in any length.  A general audience doesn’t want or need constant GTA online updates unless it’s particularly weird, and people who want discussion of GTA online don’t want to hear all about Stray or Rollerdrome.  You do a bad job of catering to either audience.  People who are really into things like Star Citizen, GTA, Roblox, Fortnite, Minecraft, whatever can find dedicated podcasts and sites that cater to what they want and the generalists can stay the generalists.  

This and the people who want to hear about those games want to hear about it from someone as deep, or deeper into the community. Talking about it from an "outsider perspective" and not giving it glowing praise is only going to inflame the community because those people "haven't played enough to know what they're talking about." 

I'm still interested in what happens when Squadron 42 comes out, there's enough star power on that cast to make it interesting, I'm just worried that it takes so long to come out that someone on that cast list dies before the game is released (John Rys-Davies is 78 years old).

5 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

When most outlets talk about the game its usually just  "Look how much money the game has made". I feel like I have to seek out more info about the game now.  Does it control well? Good physics engine? Fun?

Edit: Alright I'm already shocked. For some reason I thought it was a free to play game lol

21 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

When most outlets talk about the game its usually just  "Look how much money the game has made". I feel like I have to seek out more info about the game now.  Does it control well? Good physics engine? Fun?

Edit: Alright I'm already shocked. For some reason I thought it was a free to play game lol

It’s been around long enough, at least as a concept, that I’m pretty sure even the Ryan Davis flavor of giant bomb talked about the game in detail back in the day. Giant bomb had gone back to the topic many times, and they were more and more skeptical and cynical each time it was brought up lol. 

Ive been pretty cynical about it over the years. But if people are enjoying it I guess it’s their money. 

• 1 year later...

We are excited to announce that Squadron 42 is now feature-complete!

As we move into the polishing phase, we’re fully focused on optimizing and fine-tuning all aspects of the gameplay experience to deliver an unprecedented cinematic adventure. To celebrate this milestone, we have gathered our core development leadership from around the globe to share what this means.

Thank you for your continued support of Squadron 42.

• Pikachu changed the title to Star Citizen - Information Thread (Update: Squadron 42 is "feature complete")