Potential Game of Thrones Successors

Also, showrunner Lauren Hissrich (Daredevil) wasn’t sold on Cavill for the title role but came back to him after auditioning dozens of other options. Not exactly a rising endorsement for the former big-screen Man of Steel.

Oh they’re making a show from Cursed!! Nice!! Not particularly my favorite Arthurian interpretation but I take any I can get. 

On the topic of which will replace GoT. I think it will eventually come from HBO. I don’t think you can create the kind of hype and water cooler fever unless you have a show that has weekly episodes instead of all at once. 

My baseless and arbitrary thoughts on the potential for these shows to actually get a Game of Thrones like audience:

The Real Contenders

Lord of the Rings - Bezos is throwing unlimited money at this, the films where huge and remain culturally relevant. Even the mediocre Hobbit films did nearly $1B at the box office. Very real potential here.

The Witcher - As successful as the games are, I don't think the general public will think of this as a video game show. The trailer has potential, obviously they have lots of money, and importantly they have Henry Cavill.

The Wheel of Time - I've heard good things about the material. GoT proved that complexity isn't necessarily a death sentence if done right.

The Untamed - Deadline says it's the closest thing to GoT in setting and tone. It's on HBO. Probably has a shot.

The Shows Confined to Networks that Can't Get HBO Ratings

Halo - The fanbase for the game isn't near enough to get a GoT audience, and the association with the game will probably make sure some people just don't watch. Plus, it's on Showtime.

Dune - I expect Villeneuve's movie to be good, but I don't expect it to be a hit. The show will be a spin-off focused on the Bene Gesserit and will be confined to Warner's new streaming service. With Villeneuve's help it might be good, but I doubt it'll be a ratings sensation.

Foundation - The book series seems too odd to find a big audience, and hard sci-fi is rarely a hit. It's unlikely to even be Apple's biggest show (they're putting more money behind See, the blind aquaman movie)

The Kingkiller Chronicle - Futuristic Fantasy could be a nice change of pace, but who knows. Also on Showtime.

The Watch - It sounds like they're adapting a spinoff of Discworld, and they're doing it for BBC America? Seems daunting.

The Audience Is Wrong

Chronicles of Narnia - The movies weren't particularly popular, and even if the show is better, I don't think the material has a shot at getting a GoT audience.

His Dark Materials - Trailer looks good, but a child lead is a problem. The movie made very little, which makes me skeptical of it being a breakout hit.

Watchmen - The trailer looks very Leftovers, but maybe with a slightly broader appeal. My guess is that viewership comes in under Westworld.

The Sandman - The word I hear most associated with this one is unfilmable, which makes me think that if it's done well, maybe it finds an American Gods level audience.

Seems Unlikely

Conan the Barbarian - I don't know the character outside of Arnold, but I have a hard time imagining this gaining a huge following.

Cursed - I don't know anything about this, but Arthurian legend has potential

Book of Joan - Joan of Arc in a dystopian sci-fi novel? You have my attention, but who knows.

• Thanks 2

Personally, I think it's damn near impossible to predict what the next Game of Thrones will be... No one saw Game of Thrones being as big as it became. Prior to Game of thrones, Networks were chasing what the next Lost would be... prior to that it was The Sopranos. It's extremely hard to predict what the next big show will be that captures the public's imagination the way these shows have. It will likely be something we just don't expect.

16 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Kingkiller Chronicles! Though give me book 3 first. 

waste of time adapting it. I love his writing and the story, but seriously WTF,  we've been waiting for book 3 for closing in on a decade. And I know he said at some point over the last 8 years or so that this trilogy might just be the start a larger tale. Which means I'll be dead before he even gets halfway done with book 4. 

I remember how I used to worry that King would never finish the Dark Tower series. I'll even admit that I was at work when I heard about him getting hit by the van and my first thought was 'what about the tower?' I thought he was moving slow back then, but Martin and Rothfuss put him to shame.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Personally, I think it's damn near impossible to predict what the next Game of Thrones will be... No one saw Game of Thrones being as big as it became. Prior to Game of thrones, Networks were chasing what the next Lost would be... prior to that it was The Sopranos. It's extremely hard to predict what the next big show will be that captures the public's imagination the way these shows have. It will likely be something we just don't expect.

Yeah.  Guessing what is going to become super popular is really hard... that is why all these shows get huge budgets and most of them fail.  

It is kind of funny that so many shows of the same genre have been green lit - everyone is trying to capture that audience.  In reality the next big thing probably won't be fantasy.

Just now, number305 said:

Yeah.  Guessing what is going to become super popular is really hard... that is why all these shows get huge budgets and most of them fail.  

It is kind of funny that so many shows of the same genre have been green lit - everyone is trying to capture that audience.  In reality the next big thing probably won't be fantasy.

Yup... but it's what Hollywood does. After Lost, you got all of these big, high concept "mystery" shows. After The Sopranos, you got a bunch of Crime shows. Hollywood is always chasing the unlikely hit that came before. There were a number of medieval shows that started around the same time of Game of thrones and since... none have done as well as HBO'S tentpole.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hard agree on this. It's a weird assumption to make that the next big show will be fantasy/sci-fi just because the most recent one was. I don't think the next big show will come out of the crowd that is chasing Game of Throne's tail.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

My baseless and arbitrary thoughts on the potential for these shows to actually get a Game of Thrones like audience:

The Real Contenders

Lord of the Rings - Bezos is throwing unlimited money at this, the films where huge and remain culturally relevant. Even the mediocre Hobbit films did nearly $1B at the box office. Very real potential here.

The Witcher - As successful as the games are, I don't think the general public will think of this as a video game show. The trailer has potential, obviously they have lots of money, and importantly they have Henry Cavill.

The Wheel of Time - I've heard good things about the material. GoT proved that complexity isn't necessarily a death sentence if done right.

The Untamed - Deadline says it's the closest thing to GoT in setting and tone. It's on HBO. Probably has a shot.

The Shows Confined to Networks that Can't Get HBO Ratings

Halo - The fanbase for the game isn't near enough to get a GoT audience, and the association with the game will probably make sure some people just don't watch. Plus, it's on Showtime.

Dune - I expect Villeneuve's movie to be good, but I don't expect it to be a hit. The show will be a spin-off focused on the Bene Gesserit and will be confined to Warner's new streaming service. With Villeneuve's help it might be good, but I doubt it'll be a ratings sensation.

Foundation - The book series seems too odd to find a big audience, and hard sci-fi is rarely a hit. It's unlikely to even be Apple's biggest show (they're putting more money behind See, the blind aquaman movie)

The Kingkiller Chronicle - Futuristic Fantasy could be a nice change of pace, but who knows. Also on Showtime.

The Watch - It sounds like they're adapting a spinoff of Discworld, and they're doing it for BBC America? Seems daunting.

The Audience Is Wrong

Chronicles of Narnia - The movies weren't particularly popular, and even if the show is better, I don't think the material has a shot at getting a GoT audience.

His Dark Materials - Trailer looks good, but a child lead is a problem. The movie made very little, which makes me skeptical of it being a breakout hit.

Watchmen - The trailer looks very Leftovers, but maybe with a slightly broader appeal. My guess is that viewership comes in under Westworld.

The Sandman - The word I hear most associated with this one is unfilmable, which makes me think that if it's done well, maybe it finds an American Gods level audience.

Seems Unlikely

Conan the Barbarian - I don't know the character outside of Arnold, but I have a hard time imagining this gaining a huge following.

Cursed - I don't know anything about this, but Arthurian legend has potential

Book of Joan - Joan of Arc in a dystopian sci-fi novel? You have my attention, but who knows.

Huh? Kingkiller Chronicles is not really futuristic fantasy in any way.... 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Excuse me, it's YOUNG Sheldon.

And no.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lil Sheldon...Young Sheldon... I don't give shit :lol: I don't watch either one of those shows.

Bazorngo!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

That's what the deadline article called it. I have no knowledge of the property.

I'd tell you to rectify that ASAP, but since the likelihood of the story ever being finished is highly suspect there is no rush, unless you'd like to just be annoyed like many of us already are at having to wait for the rest of the story. 

That being said, I love the books and have read and re-read them many times.

21 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'd tell you to rectify that ASAP, but since the likelihood of the story ever being finished is highly suspect there is no rush, unless you'd like to just be annoyed like many of us already are at having to wait for the rest of the story. 

Genuinely asking: how are you so certain he'll never finish it? Has he just straight up said he doesn't care or something?

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Genuinely asking: how are you so certain he'll never finish it? Has he just straight up said he doesn't care or something?

As GRRM has proven to the world: it's always a good sign when ten years have passed with no meaningful updates from an author, side projects within his fictional universes are a focus, and getting testy with fans when asked about the unfinished series is not unheard of.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

As GRRM has proven to the world: it's always a good sign when ten years have passed with no meaningful updates from an author, side projects within his fictional universes are a focus, and getting testy with fans when asked about the unfinished series is not unheard of.

I mean sure, but it'll still get finished I think ultimately. 

On 7/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, EternallDarkness said:

Can vouch for this series. Could not put this series down as soon as I picked it up, I spent all of my free time reading because of how fascinated I was by his writing. 

Though its a little odd that his spinoff book about Auri was an absolute bore. I couldn't bring myself to finish it. 

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

No he claims he'll finish it. But rather than work on it over the last decade he completely rewrote the first book, making the definitive version....in which he changed about 100 words or so, lol. He's also been sidetracked with other projects related to the book. (including a deck of freaking cards!!!) But his rewriting of the book without really changing anything is part of the problem. He's too much of a perfectionist. You need to know when good enough is good enough! I want to read The Door or Stone so bad, but I think by the time it comes out I'll be blind....my eyesight is already going, lol. 

• Thanks 1