Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (05/21): Shadow of the Erdtree "Story Trailer"

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

But look at the conversation its generating. This has been one of the more enjoyable threads to read in a long while.

It's such a unique experience compared to other open world games. No cluttered symbols leading you by the nose. Just trial and error.. and error, and error.

Got through the first legacy dungeon. As someone who's bounced off every souls game I've tried, I am really really enjoying this game. All you souls veterans should be jealous that I'm getting to experience this game fresh, unguided by previous souls experience, and you aren't ;).

So, the map is fucking huge. Like, literally 3x as big as I thought it was going to be. Like you see the foggy areas around Limgrave and prolly think that's just about it. Well, it isn't. Like, I got teleported via opening a chest(chests that release fog teleport you btw) and, if you don't mind some map spoilers, just look at this fucking shit. It is goddamn massive. This is literally BOTW size. 

Spoiler

bd544901e4128073514f5193fdb1a73d.jpg

Margit has been giving me a fucking fit...I don't know if I'm under-leveled for him (19 with a +2 weapon) but the wolves + the summon help me get him to 30-50%, but after that I typically tucker out before I can finish him off (I think the best I've done is like `10%).

Also my recent exploration strategy has been to run around maniacally looking for sites of grace, which led me to untold dead-ends across the map, some treasure that teleported me to the crystal area, a mad dash through the crystal area once I realized how excruciatingly long it would take me to fight my way through it, then right into all of that fucked up acid swap shit, then I panicked when (for some reason - I'm not entirely sure why?) I couldn't open my map; then I continued to run around maniacally until I lucked upon a site of grace and ended up with a map looking like this:

oI3UqmQ.jpg

Absolutely no idea how much of that I was suppose to see at this point, but it was an emotional roller coaster to experience and one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. This game fucking rules.

18 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, the map is fucking huge. Like, literally 3x as big as I thought it was going to be. Like you see the foggy areas around Limgrave and prolly think that's just about it. Well, it isn't. Like, I got teleported via opening a chest(chests that release for teleport you btw) and, if you don't mind some map spoilers, just look at this fucking shit. It is goddamn massive. This is literally BOTW size. 

Hide contents

bd544901e4128073514f5193fdb1a73d.jpg

Man I'm missing a lot of grace sites lol

I just played for a good five hours straight, something I haven't done with a game in... years? Maybe TLOU2 was the last time I had a session like that. On one hand, I felt like I did a lot- explored, uncovered some wild corners of the map, found a bunch of new items and materials I don't understand, beat a boss on the first try (but is was just the pumpkin head guy, which didn't even feel like a boss fight). But every other boss I found felt damn near impossible at this point. The fact that I got humiliated so many times in so many ways one day, yet I'm already itching for the time I can play again tomorrow... this game is special. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@Chris- I beat Margit at level 16 or 17 so you should definitely be able to beat him. There's a summons right near him and you can summon a sorcery NPC that helps keep him distracted. He'll kill him before the fight is over but you should be able to get his health down to half before he does.

I do not do enough damage to sustain a fight with him at ~50% health, that would take like 10-15 minutes on its own. I'm not good enough to dodge for that long.

8 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Those little statues you find randomly around them map, it once let me examine one and it made a light patch pointing me to somewhere.  When I return to that same statue, it's not an option to examine it again.  I've seen one other somewhere else where it didn't give me the option either.  

Anyone know what allows us to examine those statues?

I think you're supposed to be able to walk along it with your horse. I've jumped up on top of it but it's not easy to walk on.

Also, man, it is OMEGA easy to get 7 or 8 flasks at +4. 

Spoiler

Pretty much there are a bunch a churches in the area south of limgrave (weeping peninsula) and there is also one to the east(mistwood). Each of these churches have a sacred tear. The tear's increase the healing received. I have 25 points into vit and a +4 flask basically full heals me. It is busted and fantastic. As for getting more uses, you will just find the material. Look out for golden trees about the player's height. They always got one of those golden seeds by them. 

@Chris-

If Margit is giving you grief, keeo exploring and just wandering, leveling and so on. I played this like regular Souls first and thought I had to beat him right away. No fucking way with those combos.

While I did learn his combos mostly, I came back with about 21/22 in Vitality and a baller-ass curved sword I got from one of the Gaol (sp?) bosses. Ended up beating him on my third try with not much damage/resources taken.

Margit is tough and I think it's the game's way of going "dude...go explore". I've also been keeping on top of upgrading my weapons asap once I find the materials.

On another note, I can't believe on top of the world design and everything, there's shit like Stormveil Castle. This is insane.

I thought DS3 felt like a bored Greatest Hits album but Elden Ring feels like...a Greatest Hits with only the absolute best elements and enough new additions to be exciting as hell again. I don't know what differentiates it so much because all the elements are there yet this game feels so full of life and inspiration. This really might just be a masterpiece if it keeps delivering like this, I've played almost literally all fucking day. It's riveting and somehow even horse combat is awesome. There are also some subtle tweaks in movement or something because this is the smoothest feeling Souls game to me so far. 

What a phenomenal game and I'm legit happy to see a bunch of you who didn't like From's other output get sucked in.

10 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Those little statues you find randomly around them map, it once let me examine one and it made a light patch pointing me to somewhere.  When I return to that same statue, it's not an option to examine it again.  I've seen one other somewhere else where it didn't give me the option either.  

Anyone know what allows us to examine those statues?

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you're supposed to be able to walk along it with your horse. I've jumped up on top of it but it's not easy to walk on.

I think he may be talking about the skeletal old lady looking statues that 'shoot' a blue-ish light beam? I'm pretty sure they lead you to dungeons. I've found three so far, followed and dungeon time at the end.

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

So, the map is fucking huge. Like, literally 3x as big as I thought it was going to be. Like you see the foggy areas around Limgrave and prolly think that's just about it. Well, it isn't. Like, I got teleported via opening a chest(chests that release for teleport you btw) and, if you don't mind some map spoilers, just look at this fucking shit. It is goddamn massive. This is literally BOTW size. 

Reveal hidden contents

This just happened to me.

Spoiler

I was pretty impressed at the size of the game when the map kind of initially zoomed out. When I took this teleporter and was surrounded by another sea of black I was dumbstruck.

This game is pretty fucking incredible. It feels like every time I swing my camera around I'm greeted to another vista whose scope puts leaving vault 101 to shame. In terms of design this game leaves everything I've ever played (except maybe Xen in Black Mesa) in the absolute dust.

They also seem to have managed to stick the landing BotW failed to do, which is providing long form dungeons that appear to be as intricate as the dungeons in previous non-open world series entries.

It's been a long time since a single-player game has really gripped me like this, and I kind of forgot what it felt like to just want to game obsessively from dawn to dust.

Also, did you know you can put a weapon in one hand and a staff in the other, because I sure didn't.

• True 1

I made it to Mistwood forest. I was scared at first because it was night time and there were a bunch of @stepee's roaming around. I came back later and the normal ones aren't too bad but the Omega Stepees are no joke. I'm going to have to come back very later to take care of one of those guys. 😧

Also to the south is a fort, if you beat everyone there the enemies don't respawn. 🤔

Also @best3444 you asked about crafting. I thought this was useful. I crafted some bone darts and I think they are good in situations where the are groups of enemies, throw one at a guy to draw aggro so only one comes away and you can take them out one at a time rather than going in and getting gangbanged.

• Shocked 1