Games that are fun to watch other people play.

gamer.tv

As the title suggests, what games do you remember watching someone else play, or on the flip side, have had other people happy to watch you play and not felt an incredible sense of boredom or frustration that you weren't both playing, or doing literally anything else. 

Resident Evil games are always fantastic games to be enjoyed passively. With RE7, my partner really enjoyed coming along for the ride, without actually playing the game. I've also enjoyed similar experiences with RE2 (on the N64 of all things) and REmake on the Gamecube. I think it's the length and the potential collaboration for puzzles, mixed in with some good old morbid curiosity. 

The Zelda games (bar Breath of the Wild) are also in a similar mould for the same reasons. 

The last that I can think of, although a very 'time and place' situation was GTA3. My best friend picked it up at release (so he was 12, I was 11) and I quite happily watched him play that, mixed in with using his laptop for an entire weekend. 

For whatever reason I like watching fortnite. I'm not that big of a fan of playing it, but ninja, tim, lupo, etc. I usually throw on one of their streams on when I'm playing games or browsing the web.

Most speedrunning is entertaining for me as well.

EDIT: A couple more I thought of; Super Mario Maker, Dead by Daylight, and classic WoW have been on rotation lately.

I don't like watching people play shooters in general. Halo, CoD, CS:GO, Fortnight, Apex, PUBG and games like LoL or Dota. I really just don't like watching multi-player games I guess. The exception is MMO's and Fighting games. Especially fighting games as they are the only good e-sport IMO. That is prolly because it is at a more personal level. Just one dude controlling one character VS another dude controlling one character(FUCK MAHVEL!). I am not a fan of team based e-sports. However, even when it comes to team based  e-sports, the finals are always fun to watch. Kinda like football. I don't really watch it, but I like watching the super bowl. 

Speedruns are pretty fun to watch, and watching people play games that, aren't so great, horror games, hard games, and games that just have the potential to create really funny moments. Like, watching people play Souls games is fun. Watching people play Getting Over It is fun. Watching Two Best Friends play Silent Hill Downpour was really fun as the game is really shitty and a horror game. Watching MOONMOON_OW play Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning and Welcome to the Game II was really fun as well. 

A lot of it comes down to the person as well. Like, I'd watch MOONMOON play Ghosts 'n Goblins but I'd have no desire to watch a steamer like Asmongold or summit1g play that game. I like Asmongold, but I can't stand summit1g. Like, I literally don't understand how 10-20k viewers can watch that guy. Prolly the worst popular streamer I have ever seen. 

42 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't like watching people play shooters in general. Halo, CoD, CS:GO, Fortnight, Apex, PUBG and games like LoL or Dota. I really just don't like watching multi-player games I guess. The exception is MMO's and Fighting games. Especially fighting games as they are the only good e-sport IMO. That is prolly because it is at a more personal level. Just one dude controlling one character VS another dude controlling one character(FUCK MAHVEL!). I am not a fan of team based e-sports. However, even when it comes to team based  e-sports, the finals are always fun to watch. Kinda like football. I don't really watch it, but I like watching the super bowl. 

Speedruns are pretty fun to watch, and watching people play games that, aren't so great, horror games, hard games, and games that just have the potential to create really funny moments. Like, watching people play Souls games is fun. Watching people play Getting Over It is fun. Watching Two Best Friends play Silent Hill Downpour was really fun as the game is really shitty and a horror game. Watching MOONMOON_OW play Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning and Welcome to the Game II was really fun as well. 

A lot of it comes down to the person as well. Like, I'd watch MOONMOON play Ghosts 'n Goblins but I'd have no desire to watch a steamer like Asmongold or summit1g play that game. I like Asmongold, but I can't stand summit1g. Like, I literally don't understand how 10-20k viewers can watch that guy. Prolly the worst popular streamer I have ever seen. 

Yeah most FPS are pretty boring to watch. I can't really watch any of them outside of tournaments and even then its really only the big matches that I bother watching. Rainbow 6 Siege, Apex, and a lot of the survival BR games like Scum and Escape from Tarkov are just so so boring. The exception for me is Shroud though, the fact that he can pick up these games and just dominate is extremely entertaining to watch even if he isn't that entertaining himself.

Fortnite is weird for me though. I think its the fact that I keep up with the meta and that the meta is changing so often, but I never play it. Fortnite is really on another level is terms of updates. Always changing the map, weapons, equipment. There is always something new and fresh.

Actual entertaining speedrunners are hard to come by. However if you are generally interested in a game and want feedback or just want to actually talk to a streamer most speedrunners will chat with you during their streams and thats fun for me. I usually give my prime subs to them because of how small they are, how much dedication they put into speedrunning, and just for having a chill chat every now and then.

Every so often I’ll dip back into watching Koreans play Starcraft 1.  The skill ceiling is insanity, comebacks are genuine and earned, and every high level match pretty much feels like its own thing.

Some fighting games when EVO rolls around, and that’s about it for me.

Watching someone play Until Dawn is great. I played it, and then watched my friend play it front-to-back as well because I wanted to see how he'd react to the scares and what mistakes he would make.

I've heard watching people play Uncharted games is fun due to the spectacle/action movie qualities, though I haven't really done that as much. I've watched some Let's Plays and it is enjoyable, so I assume if I watched my friend play the final chapter of Lost Legacy, it'd be quite the time!

I generally like games that are linear and story-driven, mainly because it leaves little room for downtime. My main complaint with MMO's was that if a streamer entered a town, you might as well go make a sandwich and take a nap, cuz they'll be fucking around in their inventory for 45 minutes. Or they'll put their character in some emote and go afk. 

Games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Resident Evil, etc. are usually what I'll default to mainly because they're constantly pushing forward.

I won't even bother with competitive games like Fortnite, Overwatch, etc cuz the streamers themselves are usually pretty douchey and they get on my nerves. People who play the low-key single player games tend to be more laid back.

10 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

As the title suggests, what games do you remember watching someone else play, or on the flip side, have had other people happy to watch you play and not felt an incredible sense of boredom or frustration that you weren't both playing, or doing literally anything else

Football. 

Not really a fan of watching people play video games unless it is a “how to” or I am curious how the game looks and plays. 

I agree on resident evil. My buddies and I would actually tape ourselves playing the older ones and cut highlights together with music. Seems kinda silly now but it was fun when we were kids. 

I enjoy watching fighting games if I’m familiar and have played them too. What the top guys pull off is absolutely incredible, and I am as impressed with them as I am with watching Steph Curry hit deep 3s or something like that. 

Really I like watching almost anything if it’s a personality I like.