Insider: Microsoft's "Anaconda" will be "more advanced" than "PlayStation 5"

Commissar SFLUFAN

I don’t doubt that Microsoft is positioning themselves to come out on top in a pure numbers game.  They probably want DXR to be their big differentiator and the key selling point, at least for the premium console.

Think MS and Sony will have a very different focus this time around.

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

MS has decided to keep that "We Have the Most Powerful Console"  title.

At what cost?

I'd say PS5 will be a 500 dollar system.  Hope MS doesn't pull a PS3 with the pricing.

Microsoft doesn't have much of a choice under their current strategy.  Anaconda simply must be discernibly stronger than the PS5, and good value next to PC rigs.  Otherwise, the whole hardware-centric selling point loses appeal.

As long as there's PC and cloud service parity for Microsoft's content, Anaconda will have rely on its specs to do the talking.  I don't think Microsoft wants to win the generation with it.  I think they want it to keep a foothold on something while they experiment with their cloud console and network.

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

MS has decided to keep that "We Have the Most Powerful Console"  title.

At what cost?

I'd say PS5 will be a 500 dollar system.  Hope MS doesn't pull a PS3 with the pricing.

Microsoft, unlike Sony, actually has money they can burn to beat down the competition. It's just that last gen they thought they'd get away with an all-in-one box no one asked for.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft doesn't have much of a choice under their current strategy.  Anaconda simply must be discernibly stronger than the PS5, and good value next to PC rigs.  Otherwise, the whole hardware-centric selling point loses appeal.

As long as there's PC and cloud service parity for Microsoft's content, Anaconda will have rely on its specs to do the talking.  I don't think Microsoft wants to win the generation with it.  I think they want it to keep a foothold on something while they experiment with their cloud console and network.

What would a discernibly more advanced Xbox console even look like compared to what we we know about the PS5?   To make a notable visual impact, the GPU hardware alone could get very spendy.

Maybe the difference would be more performance related with the CPU and RAM speeds?  MS could also have a similar ace up their sleves with the SSD, who knows.

Microsoft has a new problem they haven't had to experience before. Digital libraries. I'm in a financial position where I could buy both new consoles at launch if I really wanted to. But I don't need both. I have a massive digital library on PS4 between purchases and ps plus games. There isnt much Microsoft could do that's going to make me abandon all those games and start new on the Xbox. 

I'll probably own both MS' and Sony's next system.  I lean more towards Sony, but I have an Xbox One X + Game Pass and I'll be keeping that subscription.  Def getting the next PS first though.  Getting the upgraded Switch when that drops too. . shit, between gaming and photography, these hobbies are expensive.

37 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Microsoft has a new problem they haven't had to experience before. Digital libraries. I'm in a financial position where I could buy both new consoles at launch if I really wanted to. But I don't need both. I have a massive digital library on PS4 between purchases and ps plus games. There isnt much Microsoft could do that's going to make me abandon all those games and start new on the Xbox. 

I'm in the opposite camp. I have about 400 games on my XBO and I'm praying that MS don't fuck up next gen so I can continue to play my library on a machine that's not a train wreck. They're finally in a good place with the X.

10 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

between gaming and photography, these hobbies are expensive.

Don't feel bad, even as a pro in photography you still dont make as much as you spend :p

These consoles are still 18 months away, and real specs aren’t out there.  

Based on current rumours, Anaconda doesn’t have that much opportunity to be materially better than the reported PS5 specs, unless it is VERY expensive, coming out several years later or is not using an AMD gpu. 

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Well if you started going digital on the 360 you'd be sticking with the Xbone and then subsequently the XboneA, plus gamepass could alleviate some of those problems (depending on the game)

Personally I have digital on both platforms going back to the PS3 but I can't play those PS3 games on the PS4 so it's kind of a mess.

I expect both systems to be similar in power and specs. It just depends on the ancillary features each will focus on. 

X = Look, Quiet, Controller, Game Pass

PS = 1st party, Japanese support, OS, PSVR

I will probably buy both but it will be interesting which one I will use more.

N64->PS2->X360->PS4->?

All I need is the Switch and PlayStation for their first party games. I’m rocking the PS4 amateur and games still look great so I’m not going Xbox because the multi platform games might look a little better.  If Xbox could release some decent exclusives it might sway me to buy their next console as well. 

12 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

As someone that's always leaned a bit towards Xbox (though PS4 Pro is the only console I've owned for a few years now), I just don't see the point in buying one if I can play their games on PC (which I think is awesome). 

There's a few reasons I could see:

1) The hardware is a much better value than a near equivalent PC.

2) You care about retiring your previous Xbox consoles but still want access to old (physical) games.
3) Your feng shui/traditionalist home design is ruined by having a gaming PC in the living room.

Like the X, I expect it to score some points on the value scale.  But you're also still paying the Gold Tax, amounting to a good $200-300 over the life of the machine.

I think it's awesome that they're putting everything on PC now (mius the Gold fees).  But I don't think a premium console strategy is what they're interested in for the long haul.  They're ceding too much of the incentive.

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There's a few reasons I could see:

1) The hardware is a much better value than a near equivalent PC.

2) You care about retiring your previous Xbox consoles but still want access to old (physical) games.
3) Your feng shui/traditionalist home design is ruined by having a gaming PC in the living room.

Like the X, I expect it to score some points on the value scale.  But you're also still paying the Gold Tax, amounting to a good $200-300 over the life of the machine.

I think it's awesome that they're putting everything on PC now (mius the Gold fees).  But I don't think a premium console strategy is what they're interested in for the long haul.  They're ceding too much of the incentive.

The only really compelling argument is The projected low cost (not value). A PC brings extra functionality that comes with the higher price. 

Just now, mikechorney said:

The only really compelling argument is The projected low cost (not value). A PC brings extra functionality that comes with the higher price. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's projected to be low cost.  We should expect it to be at least $500 (in line with the X's launch).  That's not cheap.

Putting 2 SKUs out there is also an excuse to go bigger/pricier with the premium model.

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's projected to be low cost.  We should expect it to be at least $500 (in line with the X's launch).  That's not cheap.

Putting 2 SKUs out there is also an excuse to go bigger/pricier with the premium model.

Compared to a gaming PC it is low(er) cost.  $500 isn't out of line for a console launch.  Adjusted for inflation, it is still cheaper than MS's last two consoles.

I am expecting Sony to target $399, so I wouldn't be that surprised if MS is forced to launch Anaconda at $399 as well.

(I personally don't buy the suggestion that these consoles will have full SSDs.)

At point unless Sony really drops the ball, I see myself going PS5 due to it having the backwards compatibility and that it will still be using the PSVR which I bought around black Friday that just passed. I was just so disappointed and let down with my xbox1 purchase that MS has fell off my radar. 

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Doesn't matter how powerful it is. Microsoft just doesn't have the exclusives. That's why they'll never get my money. 

They bought up all them studios so they could have exclusives next gen.

Though for you it doesn't matter how many awesome games they get you'll never get one anyway. :p

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

They bought up all them studios so they could have exclusives next gen.

Though for you it doesn't matter how many awesome games they get you'll never get one anyway. :p

I go with the games that interest me. I've never been interested by any of Microsoft's exclusives, it's really just that simple. Since I'm a PC gamer, too, they've never had many true exclusives, anyway.

If that somehow changes and they get good exclusives next gen, I won't ignore that. That just seems like a dumb thing to say. :shrug: