Episode IX promo poster leaks (spoilers on characters)

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Han went back to what was familiar, what he was good at. Leia kept fighting for what she believed in. When she saw a new threat her goal was to make sure it did not rise to Glalactic Empire levels of being able to oppress the Republic. Luke was never a recluse as a youth. He had friends, and was itching to go out into the galaxy. He became a recluse as an old disalussioned, regretful old man. 

Even if looked at the way you do that’s still not a retcon. 

Literally everything was out of character for the three leads. Maybe if Episodes V and IV never happened...

Just now, Emblazon said:

Literally everything was out of character for the three leads. Maybe if Episodes V and IV never happened...

You can't claim they were out of character. The version of those characters we saw in the OT films are actually your HEAD CANON, and not the REAL characters which only JJ and Rian could possibly know.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

If Episode VII was took place weeks after Episode VI, maybe. 

I think the issue is they didn’t match your preconceived expectations of the type of people they’d become decades later. 

4 hours ago, Emblazon said:

It put the characters from the OT in the center of the story, and made them 100% irrelevant. Then it took everything they became and grew into over the three movies and put it all back to square one. Han went back to where he was when we met him, Leia went back to the beginning of her journey, and Luke went back to being a recluse with no friends. The new trilogy literally wiped out all character progression from the OT. 

It was like Mass Effect 2 all over again. Which is one of my most hated games of all time. 

That is not an example of retconning. Most of Rogue One is, though.

It's only out of character if you literally ignore everything that goes on in Episodes VII and VIII. The overall arc of the films - which is painfully and explicitly stated - is to move past failure and grandeur. Whether it's family loss (Han and Leia), the loss of your dream (Luke), the loss of your moral compass (Finn), or your family legacy (Rey and Kylo), don't let what has happened dictate what can or should happen: always move forward. It would be boring as fuck if the characters didn't have to learn that; otherwise just make the films 2 hours of space battles and lightsaber duels and be done with it, because you have literally no character plot.

11 hours ago, Emblazon said:

30 years have passed between Episode 6 and Episode 7, that's a lifetime and no one could possibly guess where these characters could or would end up. Anyone can become anything else within 30 years. You may not like where the writers/directors have chosen for these characters to end up in Episode 7 (and then 8), but it doesn't retcon anything. 

12 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Did it make the series worse? I haven't played anything past 3. 

Its just a terrible game.  I don't remember people hating on ME2 though.  I have fond memories of romancing Jack and the lovable Mordin.  I don't even remember who was in ME3.  I just hated that they dumbed down the RPG elements in ME2.

18 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Its just a terrible game.  I don't remember people hating on ME2 though.  I have fond memories of romancing Jack and the lovable Mordin.  I don't even remember who was in ME3.  I just hated that they dumbed down the RPG elements in ME2.

I think Emblazon is saying that ME 2 retconned ME 1 by resetting the character at the beginning. It doesn't retcon anything, and while I prefer ME 1 and ME 3 (sans last 15 minutes) to ME 2, all are fantastic games. 

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think Emblazon is saying that ME 2 retconned ME 1 by resetting the character at the beginning. It doesn't retcon anything, and while I prefer ME 1 and ME 3 (sans last 15 minutes) to ME 2, all are fantastic games. 

I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, gooooooo STAR WARS!

2 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

"People are unhappy that inventory items don't stack? Let's just get rid of the inventory!" 

"People are unhappy that most of the planets you can take the MAKO down to are identical boring blobs? Let's just get rid of the MAKO instead of doing fewer but more interesting planets!" 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

"People are unhappy that inventory items don't stack? Let's just get rid of the inventory!" 

"People are unhappy that most of the planets you can take the MAKO down to are identical boring blobs? Let's just get rid of the MAKO instead of doing fewer but more interesting planets!" 

Oh Gawd, you're giving me ptsd of the rage I had over the bullshit "streamlining" changes.  Mako boring? ok, just spin around red and blue balls shooting probes at it! FIXXXED!

How was that better!  HOW!

24 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Oh Gawd, you're giving me ptsd of the rage I had over the bullshit "streamlining" changes.  Mako boring? ok, just spin around red and blue balls shooting probes at it! FIXXXED!

How was that better!  HOW!

Honestly, the only 100% clear improvement in ME2 was the squad handling mechanics. Everything else felt like a regression.

Including the weird, unexplained in-universe technological regression of guns going from not requiring ammo to requiring ammo.

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Honestly, the only 100% clear improvement in ME2 was the squad handling mechanics. Everything else felt like a regression.

While the game lost a bunch, I'd say the combat loop was better in ME2 (compared to 1) by a fair margin. A charge-based Vanguard was super fun.

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Including the weird, unexplained in-universe technological regression of guns going from not requiring ammo to requiring ammo.

You weren't using "ammo" you were using replaceable "heat sinks" so that the gun cooled down instantly. Dumb explanation? Yes. Unexplained? No. :p 

1 hour ago, legend said:

While the game lost a bunch, I'd say the combat loop was better in ME2 (compared to 1) by a fair margin. A charge-based Vanguard was super fun.

You weren't using "ammo" you were using replaceable "heat sinks" so that the gun cooled down instantly. Dumb explanation? Yes. Unexplained? No. :p 

I had a pistol in ME1 Incould rapid fire endlessly without it overheating. It was a huge technological regression going to heat sinks. And it made no sense the entire galaxy would retrofit every gun to use them in two years. 

18 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I had a pistol in ME1 Incould rapid fire endlessly without it overheating. It was a huge technological regression going to heat sinks. And it made no sense the entire galaxy would retrofit every gun to use them in two years. 

First, that doesn't really address my comment. I was clarifying that there was not a technological regression to use ammo, because they didn't introduce ammo and that the change we saw wasn't unexplained. Ammo was still effectively infinite with the primary bottle neck regarding heat dispersion. The heatsinks in ME2 were still contextualized around addressing the heat dispersion issue, not ammo.

Second, you're conflating details of gameplay mechanics with the universe world building.

Third, I already said it was dumb, just not unexplained!

On 3/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, Emblazon said:

It put the characters from the OT in the center of the story, and made them 100% irrelevant. Then it took everything they became and grew into over the three movies and put it all back to square one. Han went back to where he was when we met him, Leia went back to the beginning of her journey, and Luke went back to being a recluse with no friends. The new trilogy literally wiped out all character progression from the OT. 

It was like Mass Effect 2 all over again. Which is one of my most hated games of all time. 

Luke was never a recluse with no friends in the OT. He wanted to follow his friends to the Empires flight academy at the beginning of the OT.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, Emblazon said:

So, you hate the very best ME game? Why?