D1P, what are your thoughts on Resetera?

fuckle85

Dislike. Only lurked there when there is something controversial, and I only know to lurk when someone here or on reddit links to a thread. I don't know if are as many devs on Resetera as there were on GAF but I was never a fan of devs taking opinions from that forum. It is no different than taking opinions from 4/8chan, imo, and that just isn't something that should be done. Of curse, I don't think that happened often or anything, but I dislike the idea of it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

ResetEra can be pretty self righteous at times, but they also have a pretty large community that covers a lot of topics. That said, D1P is my internet home. :daydream:

How I feel. Political talk can be annoying (some people just make shit up, and I enjoy correcting them since I follow the TOS doing it :lol:), but it's actually underrated how many people there aren't one of the stereotypical GAF/Era people we think of. One example is someone who had an RGB-type user name and talked about being a strong woman with most of her posts and getting people on their misogyny. She was perma'd because everyone read her (probably his) posts and went, "You know, you sound like what others stereotype the board as and not an actual user." Which means despite the reputation the board has in many circles, it's actually easy to sniff out the alts who are there to cause trouble.

So there are plenty of sane as shit people there. :p  And there are so many people who know about so many games and genres.

But I enjoy that, while it can get tense here, it's remarkably chill and really community-driven compared to many other boards, whereas it can get really toxic there. I don't go here because it's super active (though I wouldn't mind more users); I go because it's mostly enjoyable to talk games, entertainment and current events, and you can just be stupid here sometimes and we know each other enough that it's cool. I go there for the large userbase and the hundreds of communities for almost all topics.

18 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

ResetEra can be pretty self righteous at times, but they also have a pretty large community that covers a lot of topics. That said, D1P is my internet home. :daydream:

TBF there's lots of rightwing trolls who show up and try to start chaos.  But also there are users who seem to think in all or nothing terms regarding progressive values to the point where anyone even slightly more center left than them should be thrown on the same trash heap as said trolls, which is fascinating to me.  There's lots of political threads which go several pages sans any acknowledgement of the shades of grey of human morality. 

I almost sound like a "centrist" by even saying something like that, but an example to illustrate my point is the reaction to Neil Tyson's recent sexual harassment controversy.  Most users absolutely refused to consider the possibility that the truth of those events might not be as innocuous as he made it seem, nor as severe as the accusers made it seem.  There was a LOT of hate bandwagoning dumped on Neil when clearly the more long-term smart reaction to that would be waiting until more evidence comes out and/or the investigation concludes.  Sometimes you almost get the feeling a movie like Rashomon would be a psychedelic mindfuck to several users there. 

It's often not as bad as that but at the end of the day lot of users in political threads seem to be about acting as judge before knowing how complex and elusive figuring out what the truth in a situation can be and imo it hurts the site's credibility as a place that prides itself on having a high standard of ethics expected from users.  Righteousness can be important in reaction to injustice and harmless subjective truths should be accepted, sure, but objective truths in situations pertaining to justice (in the sense of arriving at conclusions based on evidence that are as clear cut as an admission of guilt or someone's behavior in question being recorded on camera) should always come first and that's the weakpoint of the site, really.  Basically you'll see tons of posts that are almost the other extreme of what a logic bro behavior is lol.  But ignoring the drama, it's mainly fun to post there because it's often an engaging place to talk about games, culture, art, etc and there's lots of insightful and passionate posts about those things and even in political discussions sometimes.  But in comparison, D1P, dysfunctional as it can be, feels more like a community where toxicity based on misunderstandings and judgmentalness happens less due to everyone knowing each other more compared to a massive forum like that.

15 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

How I feel. Political talk can be annoying (some people just make shit up, and I enjoy correcting them since I follow the TOS doing it :lol:), but it's actually underrated how many people there aren't one of the stereotypical GAF/Era people we think of. One example is someone who had an RGB-type user name and talked about being a strong woman with most of her posts and getting people on their misogyny. She was perma'd because everyone read her (probably his) posts and went, "You know, you sound like what others stereotype the board as and not an actual user." Which means despite the reputation the board has in many circles, it's actually easy to sniff out the alts who are there to cause trouble.

So there are plenty of sane as shit people there. :p  And there are so many people who know about so many games and genres.

But I enjoy that, while it can get tense here, it's remarkably chill and really community-driven compared to many other boards, whereas it can get really toxic there. I don't go here because it's super active (though I wouldn't mind more users); I go because it's mostly enjoyable to talk games, entertainment and current events, and you can just be stupid here sometimes and we know each other enough that it's cool. I go there for the large userbase and the hundreds of communities for almost all topics.

What's an "RGB-type user name"?  I think I might know the exact thread you're referencing though.  It was about sexism in games and they eventually got banned but for at least a couple pages nobody could figure out if they were trolling or not, correct?

4 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

What's an "RGB-type user name"?  I think I might know the exact thread you're referencing though.  It was about sexism in games and they eventually got banned but for at least a couple pages nobody could figure out if they were trolling or not, correct?

It was a person whose username was either RGB or something Ruth-Bader Ginsburg related. The person thought they could act what he perceived as far-left but he was easily sniffed out.

11 minutes ago, JosephManderley said:

I have been a member over there for about a year, and have probably posted less than 10 times.  It is good to browse occasionally to get news, but it is too big to have any sense of community.  D1P has a friendlier atmosphere I think.

It really is. People have talked for years about how testy the Current Events board can be, and while there are some really good posters on Reset's political aside, there are also a lot of people who are just... gee zuz, they hate being contradicted, they seem like impressionable people in their late teens, or they're Democrats but without an ideology instead of progressives who are registered Dems. It can get pretty weird.

• Like 1

It seems like there's a lot of self-righteous asshats there. I'm pretty left-wing, but I feel like some of my views would get me banned. 

They just seem ridiculous in general. @The Dude showed me a post he made there one time where he said something like "whoever made this *some game design choice* needs to be fired or punched in the face" and he got an actual warning from a mod about "threatening violence to anyone in or out of the topic is totally unacceptable "

Like...really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It seems like there's a lot of self-righteous asshats there. I'm pretty left-wing, but I feel like some of my views would get me banned. 

They just seem ridiculous in general. @The Dude showed me a post he made there one time where he said something like "whoever made this *some game design choice* needs to be fired or punched in the face" and he got an actual warning from a mod about "threatening violence to anyone in or out of the topic is totally unacceptable "

Like...really?

Yup, you can't do hyperbole. All the :guillotine: stuff we do would be advocating violence according to the mods.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's fucking stupid. 

I often felt like D1P was a bit too permissive at times, but that's going way overboard. I saw the screenshot he sent me and I was like JFC :lol:

There are some things I like, though. They're pretty decent regarding bad-faith debating (someone like heyyou wouldn't last longer than a day or so based on that), for example.

But they take themselves just a weeeeeee bit too seriously. 

On 3/18/2019 at 4:59 AM, Biggie said:

D1P > All that other bullshit

This 

On 3/18/2019 at 6:04 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

D1P is my internet home. :daydream:

and this 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, kittykat said:

I’ve never visited resetera so I can’t say. 

aaaand this 

On 3/19/2019 at 7:32 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Like...really?

Lmao yea, it was about the thunderstorms in Zelda. I had said whoever designed those needed fired on the spot and not only are the mods fucking idiots the posters got all butt hurt too. 

Yea they are ridiculous with their modding. Really became a turn off for me snd it's why I pretty much faded out. I didnt mind it at first but after a few months getting warnings and banned for absolutely nothing, I just thought fuck this place man 

Ultimately with my clan discord that's where I catch a lot of game stuff and chat. I just game a ton more these days than post so when games get me I tend to vanish from the boards a bit. 

But my clan was formed as an era clan and most of the guys got annoyed with that place and we finally changed the name, they don't want any connection with them really. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 6:38 AM, SaysWho? said:

It really is. People have talked for years about how testy the Current Events board can be, and while there are some really good posters on Reset's political aside, there are also a lot of people who are just... gee zuz, they hate being contradicted, they seem like impressionable people in their late teens, or they're Democrats but without an ideology instead of progressives who are registered Dems. It can get pretty weird.

Lets be honest, we're all the most aggressive on the Performing Arts Board :p 

Incidentally, that's one of my more frequented boards! :isee:

The gaming part can be a good source of news and other info. Other than that the board is made up of radical leftist Sony fanboys. I wouldn’t even mind that but they are hypersensitive PC warriors and anything even remotely “offensive” will get you banned.

shit they banned people who merely said Louis cks leaked new standup was funny. His comments weren’t even that bad.