REAL ID is coming for flights in 2025 and DHS says they’re super duper serious about the deadline this time

Getting mine was no different than replacing my regular ID, other than it required me to make an appointment at the DMV instead of just walking in.  It's dumb.

9 minutes ago, Slug said:

Getting mine was no different than replacing my regular ID, other than it required me to make an appointment at the DMV instead of just walking in.  It's dumb.

The new system also makes it impossible to go drinking on your 21st birthday since now you have to wait for the new ID in the mail instead of them just printing it at the DMV. 

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

The new system also makes it impossible to go drinking on your 21st birthday since now you have to wait for the new ID in the mail instead of them just printing it at the DMV. 

It depends on the state. I was able to get my license printed in SC when I went to apply for my Real ID License in 2021 (unless they changed it since)

9 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

It depends on the state. I was able to get my license printed in SC when I went to apply for my Real ID License in 2021 (unless they changed it since)

Maybe it's just a California thing then. They gave me a piece of paper and made me wait for my actual license in the mail when I switched from NJ pre-Real ID. 

1 hour ago, Slug said:

I just walked in but needed extra documents. Think I brought my passport and a utility bill. Otherwise I've always been able to renew online (Illinois). 

I honestly thought it had already gone into effect. I must not have noticed the other deadlines being pushed back.

I'm also in CA and I had to go in to the DMV for a new license, but I think my picture needed to be updated as well, so I'm not certain that visit was required by Real ID.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

National ID card when

I've never really agreed with all the concerns people have around a national ID card. It's one of those things where it seems so terribly inefficient for this country to find 50 different ways to do a simple thing, and the idea that you're somehow keeping some kind of real power away from the federal government always seemed laughable. 

Maybe that's just the post-rationalization of someone who has a passport and signed up for Global Entry.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've never really agreed with all the concerns people have around a national ID card. It's one of those things where it seems so terribly inefficient for this country to find 50 different ways to do a simple thing, and the idea that you're somehow keeping some kind of real power away from the federal government always seemed laughable. 

Maybe that's just the post-rationalization of someone who has a passport and signed up for Global Entry.

I mean we all know the real reason and it’s not mark of the beast shit it’s good old fashioned American fear of black people being able to exercise their right to vote 

• True 1

55 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For the record, the vast majority of this board would be categorized as "light brown" on a Republic of Trinidad and Tobago National ID Card.

What skin colour is "50% Slavic, 45% Welsh, 5% German"?

On 5/8/2024 at 9:28 AM, Jason said:

Not really. They issue a temporary license you can use in combination with your old license. At least that was the case two states I have lived in since Real ID implementation.