BO Report: Venom shatters October opening weekend record with $80 million

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4444&p=.htm

With an estimated $80 million, Sony's release of Venom into 4,250 locations not only topped the weekend box office, but it topped the previous October opening weekend record of $55.7 million set by Gravity in 2013 by over $20 million. The debut ranks ahead of the $75.8 million opening for Ant-Man and the Wasp earlier this year and just behind the $84.4 million opening for Solo: A Star Wars Story. Both films went on to gross over $210 million domestically, but before we get that far, one thing everyone will have their eye on is just how well it holds over next weekend.

Critic's reviews for Venom were largely negative while the film received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, a score that matches the grades for both Suicide Squad and Justice League and is a notch behind the "A-" for Ant-Man and the Wasp. Of the three, Justice League's 56% second weekend drop is the best of the lot while the three carry an average second weekend drop of ~61%, which, in this case, is probably what should be expected with anything better perceived as something of a positive sign as Venom doesn't have any superhero competition in theaters until the releases of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Aquaman in December.

The weekend overall grossed over 63% more than last year at this time.

I noticed that this movie is getting trashed by critics and praised by regular people. I haven’t noticed a disparity in reviews between “professionals” and “general public” this large in awhile. (Last I checked it was around 88% for user reviews and 30% for professional reviews)

That being said, I look forward to renting it on iTunes/Vudu in about 4-6 months :p 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Superhero fatigue sure is taking its toll.

That is a good deal more than I expected. We'll have to see how it does overseas, but this could very well be in sequel territory.

Shit, I think Venom is benefiting from the fact that people actually want MORE superhero films and that there hasn't been a whole lot this year really. Black Panther, Avengers and Ant Man and the Wasp. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I noticed that this movie is getting trashed by critics and praised by regular people. I haven’t noticed a disparity in reviews between “professionals” and “general public” this large in awhile. (Last I checked it was around 88% for user reviews and 30% for professional reviews)

That being said, I look forward to renting it on iTunes/Vudu in about 4-6 months :p 

The article I read (here: https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/10/8/17951112/box-office-venom-star-is-born )  Says it has the same audience cinema score as Justice League and Suicide Squad.  Which is still a good score - but I think that shows that polling audience members that see something opening weekend is a poor indicator.  Most of those people have some sort of 'buy in' to the movie before they go.

55 minutes ago, number305 said:

The article I read (here: https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/10/8/17951112/box-office-venom-star-is-born )  Says it has the same audience cinema score as Justice League and Suicide Squad.  Which is still a good score - but I think that shows that polling audience members that see something opening weekend is a poor indicator.  Most of those people have some sort of 'buy in' to the movie before they go.

Very true! However, a lot of the Suicide Squad and Justice League positive reviews were crazy DC defenders, IIRC. I remember people here pointing it out in the respective thread for each movie.

59 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Very true! However, a lot of the Suicide Squad and Justice League positive reviews were crazy DC defenders, IIRC. I remember people here pointing it out in the respective thread for each movie.

I just think every movie is gong to have it's crazy defenders - more so on opening weekend.  You have to think a great majority of people who went on opening night are people who have loved the Venom character for a long time, or were really excited by the movie for other reasons... actors etc.  Most of the time people will rationalize that their choices were correct.  Its hard, especially immediately, to be critical of something you spend a long time looking forward to.  

6 minutes ago, number305 said:

I just think every movie is gong to have it's crazy defenders - more so on opening weekend.  You have to think a great majority of people who went on opening night are people who have loved the Venom character for a long time, or were really excited by the movie for other reasons... actors etc.  Most of the time people will rationalize that their choices were correct.  Its hard, especially immediately, to be critical of something you spend a long time looking forward to.  

I’m not necessarily disagreeing, however, I cannot imagine people looking forward to this movie in the same way DC fanboys were praying for a decent DC film. :p 

4 hours ago, number305 said:

That is not the feeling I get in chatting with the crowds as they leave my theaters. I don’t think some of you get how little thought the average movie goer puts into deciding to see any given film. We are the weirdos who watch al the trailers and read up on movies before they come out. We are the weirdos who know the names of writers and directors and DPs.

Lots of people like bad movies, News at 11.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That is not the feeling I get in chatting with the crowds as they leave my theaters. I don’t think some of you get how little thought the average movie goer puts into deciding to see any given film. We are the weirdos who watch al the trailers and read up on movies before they come out. We are the weirdos who know the names of writers and directors and DPs.

Lots of people like bad movies, News at 11.

Well I know names of writers and directors and watch all the trailers. 

And I like bad movies. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It was way better than I thought it was going to be. It's not great but it's a solid creature flick at a minimum. 

Given it's ostensibly supposed to be a Venom movie, calling it a good "creature feature" is damning with faint praise, I would think. The question is does the film do Venom justice or not? :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Given it's ostensibly supposed to be a Venom movie, calling it a good "creature feature" is damning with faint praise, I would think. The question is does the film do Venom justice or not? :) 

I don’t think that matters to 90% of the people who went to see the movie and that’s why it did well. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well it's hard to know because the same people that say "Venom isn't a compelling comic character" are the same people saying "this isn't a good Venom movie." Personally I just always loved the look/design of Venom and this movie nails that. I think it also nails the voice in the head aspect. But this Eddie Brock isn't the same Eddie Brock we've seen in any comic version of Venom/Spider-Man, so I would imagine that is what is making people say it's not a good Venom movie. But I don't really care about that aspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mercury33 said:

I don’t think that matters to 90% of the people who went to see the movie and that’s why it did well. 

I'm not questioning why it did well, it did well because it's a big, dumb movie and most audiences like big, dumb movies (Transformers movies, Rampage, etc.). Which is fine, just being clear that it's still damning with faint praise I think. 

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Well it's hard to know because the same people that say "Venom isn't a compelling comic character" are the same people saying "this isn't a good Venom movie." Personally I just always loved the look/design of Venom and this movie nails that. I think it also nails the voice in the head aspect. But this Eddie Brock isn't the same Eddie Brock we've seen in any comic version of Venom/Spider-Man, so I would imagine that is what is making people say it's not a good Venom movie. But I don't really care about that aspect.

I appreciate the thoughtful analysis! Critics don't seem to be destroying it for those reasons though - from what I've read it's because it's simply a bad, bland movie. Are they off base?

14 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Also they always said it was more of a horror/monster movie than a superhero movie... I had little to no interest in the movie at all because I never liked Venom as a character. My little brother loved him though.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I appreciate the thoughtful analysis! Critics don't seem to be destroying it for those reasons though - from what I've read it's because it's simply a bad, bland movie. Are they off base?

I've only seen the online reactions. I don't know exactly what the critics are saying. But when the movie turns into the Marvel version of The Fly about 1/3 of the way in it gets really good. The last act is a bit bland, yes. Like I said: Good no great :) You won't miss anything if you wait for streaming.

• Thanks 1

I doubt that Venom has the hardcore contingent like the Snyder defenders but the fact that many movie goers just see the Marvel label, which I will get all my money that Sony is banking on that, is why this movie did as well as it regardless of being good or not. 

I look forward to seeing it this week. I like my share of bad movies, lol.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:30 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

It was way better than I thought it was going to be. It's not great but it's a solid creature flick at a minimum. 

I felt similarly. I enjoyed Tom Hardy, and I didn't really find the film to be offensively bad. It just wasn't that memorable, either, outside the mid-credits scene.