BO Report: Venom shatters October opening weekend record with $80 million

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

False. Man of Steel and Wonderman are way better than Venom. 

Man of Steel is trash. And it's the trash that started it all so it's the worst trash. DC went from Dark Knight Rises... to this trash. 

And Wonder Woman had one good scene, a villain that was worse than the Justice League villain, and that villain was the reason for all the terrible things the opposition did in WWI. AND defeating said villain with SUPER super power that was previously locked inside, but only revealed itself because the writers couldn't come up with a viable way to defeat said villain. They essentially pulled a Deep Impact. 

Wonder Woman was accepted because the DC bar was set so damn low.

Venom wasn't a great or even good movie, but I'd still take it over all the recent DC fare. 

47 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Very much looking forward to the sequel, and what Woody brings to his role. Though, sadly, we'll more likely than not get a PG-13 rating. 

Spoiler

Harrelson will either be the perfect Kasady or the absolute worst, I don’t think that there’s any in between on this one.

:p 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I guess I underestimated how much a cool character design can drive people to the movies. Or is it that there's not sufficient competition? Is there any chance that Venom is riding Marvel's wave, even though they're not really connected? I just don't know.

I definitely think Venom is riding the current Marvel wave... in addition to him being very popular with people who came of age in the 90's. Marvel was featured prominently in the marketing and trailers for the movie. I'll see it when it comes on cable as I never cared for the character and I hear the movie isn't very good. Plus the VFX look pretty bad to me.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I guess I underestimated how much a cool character design can drive people to the movies. Or is it that there's not sufficient competition? Is there any chance that Venom is riding Marvel's wave, even though they're not really connected? I just don't know.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I definitely think Venom is riding the current Marvel wave... in addition to him being very popular with people who came of age in the 90's. Marvel was featured prominently in the marketing and trailers for the movie. I'll see it when it comes on cable as I never cared for the character and I hear the movie isn't very good. Plus the VFX look pretty bad to me.

Lack of competition should be helping too. There hasn't been anything significant in weeks, amd there is not anything of note for weeks either. It is just about the only thing to see if you judt want to go see a movie.

I think is a mix of all 3. Marvel high, fans from the 90s, and lack of competition. 

If Avengers 4, a main entry star wars, or probably even Captain Marvel came out with Venom, the movie would have been buried, similar to Solo.

I agree on the lack of competition point. There's been some good to decent movies that have come out, but nothing to drive audiences to the cinema. Personally, I haven't been to a theater since Mission Impossible. The next movie I want to see is Ralph Breaks the Internet in late November. Possibly The Grinch if the reviews are good.

The end of September/beginning of October is a great place to slot a flick with good name recognition because families are finally back into the school routine for the kids and are ready to do fun stuff together. Using the Marvel cred helps a lot in that regard.

3 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Man of Steel is trash. And it's the trash that started it all so it's the worst trash. DC went from Dark Knight Rises... to this trash. 

And Wonder Woman had one good scene, a villain that was worse than the Justice League villain, and that villain was the reason for all the terrible things the opposition did in WWI. AND defeating said villain with SUPER super power that was previously locked inside, but only revealed itself because the writers couldn't come up with a viable way to defeat said villain. They essentially pulled a Deep Impact. 

Wonder Woman was accepted because the DC bar was set so damn low.

Venom wasn't a great or even good movie, but I'd still take it over all the recent DC fare. 

Wroooooooooong

• 1 month later...

https://screenrant.com/venom-movie-800-million-worldwide-wonder-woman/

Sony's Venom continues to tear up the box office, now crossing the $800 million mark worldwide, and officially surpassing the gross of 2017's Wonder Woman. Based on the Spider-Man villain first featured (to the chagrin of many fans) in Spider-Man 3, Venom stars Tom Hardy as journalist Eddie Brock, who becomes a super-anti-hero after merging with an alien symbiote and proceeds to wreak havoc.