The Mandela Effect is not a real thing.

CastletonSnob

It's a real thing in that lots of people misremember things in a similar way. I don't think it's especially revelatory. It makes complete sense to me that if one person remembers something slightly wrong and communicates that to someone with vaguely similar experiences that the second person might accept that misremembered thing as truth. Especially for things like public figures and media that we all experience at arms length through TV or newspapers, it's not hard to imagine why lots of people get things wrong in the same way, even independently.

I think it's similar to why people get so freaked out by targeted advertising and assume their phone is spying on them. How could the first google suggestion be for this random thing I was just thinking about? How could Facebook send me this ad for this service that I was just talking about? Because people are generally predictable and not the wholly unique special flowers that we think we are. That and we're noticing outliers and ignoring that Facebook showed you 200 ads that you completely ignored because they were not relevant.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I think the effect is more that everyone misremembers the same thing the same way.

i.e: Everyone wants to sing "off the woooooorrrllldd" at the end of "We are the Champions"

or thinking Lambchop's Play-Along's ending theme is "This is the song that never ends" instead of "This is the song that doesn't end"

I have this vivid memory of riding in a hot air balloon on a fall day as a kid. Brought it up to my parents and I said “I definitely never rode in a hot air balloon right?” They said definitely not, but we did go somewhere when I was around 11 or 12 years old and watched hot air balloons take off. I literally have no memory of doing that or seeing them but I have this fake memory of fucking flying in one. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

It's a real thing in that lots of people misremember things in a similar way. I don't think it's especially revelatory. It makes complete sense to me that if one person remembers something slightly wrong and communicates that to someone with vaguely similar experiences that the second person might accept that misremembered thing as truth. Especially for things like public figures and media that we all experience at arms length through TV or newspapers, it's not hard to imagine why lots of people get things wrong in the same way, even independently.

I think it's similar to why people get so freaked out by targeted advertising and assume their phone is spying on them. How could the first google suggestion be for this random thing I was just thinking about? How could Facebook send me this ad for this service that I was just talking about? Because people are generally predictable and not the wholly unique special flowers that we think we are. That and we're noticing outliers and ignoring that Facebook showed you 200 ads that you completely ignored because they were not relevant.

Anytime I hear someone shit on the "soft sciences" like psychology, I appreciate that it's the main are that does memory research and people's notion of what memories are, how they work, and how reliable they are... they're just trash.

39 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think the effect is more that everyone misremembers the same thing the same way.

i.e: Everyone wants to sing "off the woooooorrrllldd" at the end of "We are the Champions"

or thinking Lambchop's Play-Along's ending theme is "This is the song that never ends" instead of "This is the song that doesn't end"

This one's a little weird to me because they DO say "of the world," it's just not at the end. The Lambchop one is a good example though, I hadn't heard of that one before.

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I have this vivid memory of riding in a hot air balloon on a fall day as a kid. Brought it up to my parents and I said “I definitely never rode in a hot air balloon right?” They said definitely not, but we did go somewhere when I was around 11 or 12 years old and watched hot air balloons take off. I literally have no memory of doing that or seeing them but I have this fake memory of fucking flying in one. 

Perhaps you did ride in a hot air balloon when you were 12 but you fell out of it hurt your head and lost your memory. Your parents never told you because it was too traumatizing for you. In fact maybe you fell out of a hot air balloon out in the wilderness and have been missing for years and the parents that found you in the woods aren't your original parents but your brain is so damaged you recognize them as your real parents. :o

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Perhaps you did ride in a hot air balloon when you were 12 but you fell out of it hurt your head and lost your memory. Your parents never told you because it was too traumatizing for you. In fact maybe you fell out of a hot air balloon out in the wilderness and have been missing for years and the parents that found you in the woods aren't your original parents but your brain is so damaged you recognize them as your real parents. :o

curb-your-enthusiasm-yes-no.gif

• Haha 1