Games you’d advocate for on a Top 100 games list *Voting ends Nov 1st*

crispy4000

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well you said "arcade game" and the NES version is called TMNT The Arcade Game so it's still worth drawing a distinction there. :p

spacer.png

My bad. The arcade version not the NES version which I did have as a kid and had a lot of fun with. 

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No Dragon Age Origins named yet? Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

That was the most glaring one for me that hasn't been named yet. Don't think I saw  Mass Effect named yet either. I think both one AND two belong on a top 100 list. Need to think about more... 

Stepee mentioned the ME trilogy as one big entry. Not each game separately. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well you said "arcade game" and the NES version is called TMNT The Arcade Game so it's still worth drawing a distinction there. :p

spacer.png

Technically it's called TMNT 2: the arcade game. Most people I knew growing up referred to the nes game as just TMNT2.

29 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Technically it's called TMNT 2: the arcade game. Most people I knew growing up referred to the nes game as just TMNT2.

Well to me it was always the first game, I played the arcade game first and was surprised later that there was one before it and it was terrible. So really that first one doesn't count. :p

Yeah I’ll use Legendary Collection then if we can’t group them :P No they can be separate if you want. Id put all three on then. Mass1 was a bit more rpg/exploration but most of that was so superficial that I don’t think the main experience differs much, things just get more refined in 2. But it does tell one rather contained story and I think of them all as pretty equal with each other.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I’ll use Legendary Collection then if we can’t group them :P No they can be separate if you want. Id put all three on then. Mass1 was a bit more rpg/exploration but most of that was so superficial that I don’t think the main experience differs much, things just get more refined in 2. But it does tell one rather contained story and I think of them all as pretty equal with each other.

@Bacon thoughts?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Bacon thoughts?

If there is a valid way to list the ME trilogy with one entry, I'm all for it. I just think that ME1 is by far the best so if only one ME game makes the list I want it to be ME1. I've said this before but one of my problems with ME2 is how inconsequential it is to the trilogy. How much of that is ME3's fault vs ME2's fault we'll never really know unless we get the original ME3 before the leaks.

ME2 also has the worst combat and the most limitations. ME1 has a lot of freedom with every ability having its own cooldowns and weapon mods. Sure, it's not that great of an action game but it's a great RPG. ME3 is a very fun action game with the best shooter feel of all the games, even MEA. Plus, how they expanded on the classes from ME2 was amazing. Each class really was the "next level" version of the ME2 class. ME2 is just stuck in the middle, being the worst of both worlds instead of the best. ME2 forced the cover-based shooting too hard and that hurts the game. All of your abilities share a global cooldown, you have far fewer abilities due to the de-homogenizing of the classes, and this, IMO, resulted in some lackluster abilities like ammo mods. While they were very useful, changing the elemental attack of your space bullets is boring. It wasn't until ME3 that the redesigned classes really shined.

ME3 also made the Paragon/Renegade system better, whereas ME2 leaned more into it requiring you to basically be full blue for full red to get the best outcomes and that's just a limiting factor that I dislike. While it wasn't much better in ME1, there was a very easy exploit that made the whole system irrelevant so you were able to just do whatever you wanted.

Edit:

Just want to add that ME2 isn't a bad game at all. Just my least favorite of the trilogy.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No Dragon Age Origins named yet? Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Mistakes were made.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That was the most glaring one for me that hasn't been named yet. Don't think I saw  Mass Effect named yet either. I think both one AND two belong on a top 100 list. Need to think about more... 

I did name ME though!

NBA Jam
Crazy Taxi
Cyborg Justice
Space Taxi
Save New York
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
King's Quest III
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Virtua Cop
Time Crisis
Road Rash
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Armored Core 3
Team Fortress Classic
Tekken 3
Sega Rally Championship
Jet Set Radio Future
Gunstar Heroes
Medal of Honor Frontline
Shining Force 2
Panzer Dragoon 2
Gorillas (Qbasic)
Rise of the Dragon
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Intelligent Qube
Vagrant Story
Ape Escape
Okami
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

• Halal 1

@stepee

Because it seems like something you'd nominate: DK Tropical Freeze?  I sadly haven't played enough of it yet.

@Commissar SFLUFAN

Same deal:  Dishonored games?  Prey?  Ori & the Will of the Wisps?  Control?  Psychonauts 2?

I won't nominate that last one, as I'm kind of wavering on it making it to my top 100.  But I could also see it sneaking its way on in the ranking process.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

NBA Jam
Crazy Taxi
Cyborg Justice
Space Taxi
Save New York
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
King's Quest III
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Virtua Cop
Time Crisis
Road Rash
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Armored Core 3
Team Fortress Classic
Tekken 3
Sega Rally Championship
Jet Set Radio Future
Gunstar Heroes
Medal of Honor Frontline
Shining Force 2
Panzer Dragoon 2
Gorillas (Qbasic)
Rise of the Dragon
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Intelligent Qube
Vagrant Story
Ape Escape
Okami
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

I was considering Vagrant Story for my list :twothumbsup:

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Same deal:  Dishonored games?  Prey?  Ori & the Will of the Wisps?  Control?  Psychonauts 2?

I won't nominate that last one, as I'm kind of wavering on it making it to my top 100.  But I could also see it sneaking its way on in the ranking process.

Because I view this as being a list of "influential" titles, I'll nominate System Shock 2 and Thief: The Dark Project over the Dishonored games and Prey when it comes to "immersive sims".

I'll be more than happy to throw in Psyschonauts 2 though!

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because I view this as being a list of "influential" titles, I'll nominate System Shock 2 and Thief: The Dark Project over the Dishonored games and Prey when it comes to "immersive sims".

I'll be voting based on what I find most fun. :p

Hopefully we get a good mix of people voting one which way or another.  That might make for a better overall list.

I plan on us using the ranking website I posted earlier for voting.  That should make for some hard choices in either respect.  Plus it exports to CSV, which should make compiling it all easier.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

@stepee

Because it seems like something you'd nominate: DK Tropical Freeze?  I sadly haven't played enough of it yet.

@Commissar SFLUFAN

I’m actually not a big fan of DKC TF :P

Im like 3/4th of the way through by playing a few levels every time I hear people talk about how amazing it is. I don’t see it personally, the  sense of flow isn’t there for me and the mechanics don’t feel as joyful to use as the genre greats. It has good level design, but not totally stand out either. The art style is okay though a bit bland. If it didn’t already have such a reputation before it came to switch I might have liked it more, but since everyone acts like it’s one of the greatest platformers it’s hard not to be disappointed. I would actually vote DKC2 though. 

Dishonored 2 and Control aren’t bad entries either!

On 10/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Well to me it was always the first game, I played the arcade game first and was surprised later that there was one before it and it was terrible. So really that first one doesn't count. :p

I grew up playing the the first game before the arcade game. Sure it's pretty rough/bad in many areas but I still have a soft spot for it. I even have a copy in my small (current) nes collection. As for 2 I think I played it in arcades first then rented the nes game afterwards.

• Hugs 1

44 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m actually not a big fan of DKC TF :P

Im like 3/4th of the way through by playing a few levels every time I hear people talk about how amazing it is. I don’t see it personally, the  sense of flow isn’t there for me and the mechanics don’t feel as joyful to use as the genre greats. It has good level design, but not totally stand out either. The art style is okay though a bit bland. If it didn’t already have such a reputation before it came to switch I might have liked it more, but since everyone acts like it’s one of the greatest platformers it’s hard not to be disappointed. I would actually vote DKC2 though. 

Dishonored 2 and Control aren’t bad entries either!

My big blocker for it is I hated the momentum and acceleration of movement. I much prefer very responsive controls for 2d except when you’re in the air or in a more explicit dash of some sort. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Did anyone say Final Fantasy 4-12? Final Fantasy Tactics?

I just kind of assumed someone did at some point, I didn't actually check.

I don't think every entry was brought up, but several were.  Tactics was.

Do you think all of them deserve to be on a top 100 list?