Games you’d advocate for on a Top 100 games list *Voting ends Nov 1st*

crispy4000

Let’s make our own list.

This is for nominations only.  Meaning no rankings attached.  Read other posts to avoid duplicate submissions whenever possible.

As I said in the Edge thread, I’m thinking we also do a 50 (or more) under-appreciated list of games that don’t end up charting that gets weighted a bit differently.

Commence with the name dropping. 

Ok, I'll start this off with some games. I guess we can forget the last 30 years part?

Mario 64

COD 4

Ico

Shadow of the Colossus 

GOW

Ragnarok 

TLOU

TLOU 2

OOT

Red Dead Redemption 2

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 

Super Mario Galaxy 

Super Mario 3

Halo 1

Minecraft

Tetris 

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 2

GTA 5

Super Mario 1

The World Ends With You - DS Lite

Chrono Trigger - DS Lite

Legend Of Zelda TotK - Switch

Gran Turismo 2 - PS2

Gran Turismo 7 - PS5

Metal Gear Solid 1 - PS1

Metal Gear Solid 2 - PS2

Uncharted 4 - PS4

Halo 4 - Xbox 360

Oblivion - Xbox 360

Tecmo Super Bowl - SNES

Tecmo Super Bowl 3 The Final Edition - SNES

Super Mario Bros. - NES

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I hate lists by committee. They have no personality and are full of contradictions. I a look at the Edge top 100 and didn’t even feel it worth my time to comment. 

There will never be consensus.  In my view, it's more about learning the tastes of others here, and sparking some discussion of the games themselves.  Especially since non-current games aren't always a hot topic here.

Perfectly fine to opt out.

• Halal 2

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There will never be consensus.  In my view, it's more about learning the tastes of others here, and sparking some discussion of the games themselves.  Especially since non-current games aren't always a hot topic here.

Perfectly fine to opt out.

Everyone doing their own list, like here, is the ideal to me. I’d rather see a dozen top 10 lists than a top 100 from a dozen people. lol 

For myself I try to set some rules. 
-don’t do a “best” list unless there’s some other criteria. Best launch title, best game of a year, best in a franchise, etc. 

-separate favorite from influential. There is often some overlap, but not always is the most influential my favorite. 
-shorter lists should make an effort to set a limit of 1 game per franchise. 
-fuck review score. lol

24 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Everyone doing their own list, like here, is the ideal to me. I’d rather see a dozen top 10 lists than a top 100 from a dozen people. lol 

For myself I try to set some rules. 
-don’t do a “best” list unless there’s some other criteria. Best launch title, best game of a year, best in a franchise, etc. 

-separate favorite from influential. There is often some overlap, but not always is the most influential my favorite. 
-shorter lists should make an effort to set a limit of 1 game per franchise. 
-fuck review score. lol

Just for clarity my list is not my top ten list haha

27 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

When we do the actual voting, I could have everyone post their top 10 list and spoiler tag the rest.

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Let's see...no duplications makes this a bit challenging, but not impossible:

Half-Life

DOOM (the 1993 version)

Super Mario Bros.

Ultima VII

Papers, Please

Quake III Arena

Microsoft Flight Simulator (the original)

Resident Evil (the original)

Mortal Kombat (the original)

Everquest

Star Wars: TIE Fighter

Two of us have already said Super Mario Bros. :fedora:

It's pretty hard to say which games belong on such a list. It's far easier to list what shouldn't be.

No Halo after Halo 3. No racing games especially racing sims. Nothing from Naughty Dog. No walking simulators. No crafting shit. Most puzzle games can hit the road. No first-person shooter before 2001. None of the Fallout games. No GTA game, maybe GTA4 or SA, but I'd rather not. No Battle Royal games. None of the modern indie pixel games. Pretty much no sports games unless you count the Tony Hawk games as sports games and Wii Sports.

I could probably find more. The only game for sure I'd put on the list somewhere is Dark Souls. Not only is Dark Souls still actually a good game, it created one of my favorite genres. Anyone who disagrees with DS being on a list is just a shitter who never got gud.

:dab2: