McDonald's to Eliminate All Self Service Soda Stations By 2032

Keyser_Soze

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The Chicago-based fast food chain plans to eliminate the machines at its U.S. restaurants by 2032, it confirmed this week.

The Chicago-based fast food chain plans to eliminate self-service soda machines at its U.S. restaurants by 2032, McDonald’s confirmed this week.

In an email to The Associated Press Tuesday, McDonald’s USA said the goal of the change is to create consistency for customers and crew members across the chain’s offerings — from in-person dining to online delivery and drive-thru options.

I never go to McDonald's but this sounds like a downgrade to me.

39 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

That'll be a no from me, dawg.

I like to get a Diet Coke with my meal, maybe refill it mid-meal, then fill it up again before I leave. I ain't dealing with people behind the counter for my refills, I'll just go to another shitty fast food chain.

Not to mention doing your own ratio of ice and maybe mixing and matching of flavors (or if it's a freestyle machine even more mixing and matching!)

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not to mention doing your own ratio of ice and maybe mixing and matching of flavors (or if it's a freestyle machine even more mixing and matching!)

I'm not a monster, so I don't mess with multiple flavors. But I do like to make sure I have just the right amount of ice.

• Haha 2

As someone who occasionally goes into a McDonald’s because I have kids on the road….

The self service soda stations suck ass.  Hardly ever maintained it cleaned, as wet as the floor of a men’s room for the blind, weird ass lid dispensers, etc.  I almost never see anyone go back for more either.  So if it’s an extra hassle to keep clean because the general public are monsters and the vast majority of people are one and done, then yeah, remove them.

I never eat there, so I don't really care, but I do find the reason that they've given pretty weak.

McDonald’s USA said the goal of the change is to create consistency for customers and crew members across the chain’s offerings — from in-person dining to online delivery and drive-thru options.

The company did not specify if any additional factors — such as finances or sanitation — impacted the decision to part ways with its self-serve machine.

I'm not even sure I know what that means. Certainly it's not a customer expectation consistency they're worried about. No one is confused as to why you don't get free refills or why the cup comes pre-filled when you order delivery. I can't imagine the staff is somehow perplexed at having to give someone an empty cup when they're at the counter vs the drive through. The only thing that makes any sense is that they're talking about internal cost consistency, so a soda costs them the same amount regardless of how it's sold because now they don't have to consider that dine-in customers might cost them a bit more in syrup.

Sanitation, additional machine maintenance, interior layout considerations, basically anything you can think of seems like a better reason than "consistency."

I honestly don't blame them at all from a purely customer revenue to maintenance cost ratio perspective.  I simply cannot imagine that the effect of their removal on customer retention would even be measurable due to how absolutely infinitesimal it will be.

Yeah, I would've chucked 'em ages ago if I was CEO :p

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ever eat McDonald's breakfast?

Not since they got rid of the McSkillet burrito like 15 years ago. Their breakfast is shit anyway. Breakfast is overnight oatmeal made with old fashioned oats, fat free milk, fat free Greek yogurt, powered peanut butter, flax and chia seeds. 40 grams of protein, some fiber, some carbs. Don't need a frozen sausage or dry ass muffin. 

4 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Not since they got rid of the McSkillet burrito like 15 years ago. Their breakfast is shit anyway. Breakfast is overnight oatmeal made with old fashioned oats, fat free milk, fat free Greek yogurt, powered peanut butter, flax and chia seeds. 40 grams of protein, some fiber, some carbs. Don't need a frozen sausage or dry ass muffin. 

Eat a sausage mcgriddle and get back to me. 

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

Ahem... People still go to McDonald's? 

But really... It's the worst fast food place. I'd rather get food poisoning from Arby's than get something from McDonald's. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ever eat McDonald's breakfast?

Best fast food breakfast hands down. 

Also the Filet o’Fish is God tier 

The last time I ate inside a McDonald's was at a specially themed franchisee place. It had leather upholstered wingback chairs, elegant curtains, wallpaper, and large fish aquariums surrounded by bar tables you could sit at. It was the craziest looking McDonalds I ever saw.

Of course they tore it down and made it a generic McDonalds because why have anything good?

8 hours ago, Chris- said:

I only have it like once or twice a year but McDonald's breakfast is GOATed and it's insane to argue otherwise. It set the standard for fast food breakfast.

Taco Bell AM Crunchwraps say otherwise. 

But yea I'm not eating fast food breakfast ever so I have no pig in the pen. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I haven't tried Taco Bells breakfast just because there's none around me. I hear the commercial for the crunchwrap and get hard. 

There doesn’t seem to be anything near you within driving distance. Where the hell do your parents live? lol

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

There doesn’t seem to be anything near you within driving distance. Where the hell do your parents live? lol

I told you they live in the middle of fuckin nowhere. I have to drive 25 minutes through the city just to reach the freeway and drive to work. I leave my place at 5:45am every day. I get to work at 7am on the dot. 

• Confused 1