Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended

35 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Someone here did say it, but didn't provide a source.  The only other place I've heard that was in a youtube comment, lol.

I can't remember who said it but I remember looking for info and the only place I saw it was some obscure overseas website that looked like it was run by fanboys. None of the industry rags or websites had anything CLOSE to that. Now you can see why.

This doesn't move the needle either way for me. I think she did make a mistake with Solo, but it seems like they might have learned from that experience with recent statements they would reign the franchise back in a bit. We have a weird thing in our society where we don't let people make a misstep and grow as a person.

For my money I can't wait until we're on the other side of Episode 9 (which I don't care about), and we can start seeing the new places Johnson's trilogy takes us.

I would have liked to see her go, but it has nothing to do with diversity in the films (I actually like that). 

We have had some decent SW movies, but they are falling short of their potential. I don’t think she’ll ever do anything amazing with the property. Solo was an average movie at best. I liked TLJ a lot, but these are all still just good popcorn movies. I think Star Wars could be more. They’ll run out of gas really quick if they can’t innovate.  

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I would have liked to see her go, but it has nothing to do with diversity in the films (I actually like that). 

We have had some decent SW movies, but they are falling short of their potential. I don’t think she’ll ever do anything amazing with the property. Solo was an average movie at best. I liked TLJ a lot, but these are all still just good popcorn movies. I think Star Wars could be more. They’ll run out of gas really quick if they can’t innovate.  

Star Wars has ALWAYS been "Good popcorn movies"... Star Wars and Jaws both started the modern day blockbuster as we know it. And the series has been around for what, 40 years at this point? If they were going to run out of gas (some would say they already have) they would have a long time ago. I LOVE Star Wars, but the series has never been serious science fiction and never claimed it was. It was born out of George Lucas' love for swashbuckling radio serials, Space Operas,  Samurai movies and folk lore from various cultures.

It's impossible for Star Wars to "live up to its potential" because what the fuck does that even mean these days?  Star Wars has become so ingrained to some people's entire sense of being, and there are so many of them with different interests, that you can't make a movie that pleases all of them.  Each one of them sees themselves as "the true fan" that needs to have their dick sucked for liking a movie a whole lot.  

23 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I've seen Star Wars's potential in the novels of the old EU.

Let's just say that I'm totally fine with it falling way, way short of it.

"Luuuuuke" :lol:

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Knights of the Old Republic remains the best narrative in the Star Wars universe.

It's definitely one of them.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Star Wars has ALWAYS been "Good popcorn movies"... Star Wars and Jaws both started the modern day blockbuster as we know it. And the series has been around for what, 40 years at this point? If they were going to run out of gas (some would say they already have) they would have a long time ago. I LOVE Star Wars, but the series has never been serious science fiction and never claimed it was. It was born out of George Lucas' love for swashbuckling radio serials, Space Operas,  Samurai movies and folk lore from various cultures.

I think the problem for me is that Star Wars never grow as a franchise. Even after 8 mainline movies, they are always about the exact same things: destiny, The Force, rebels vs empire, light side vs dark side, etc. The series still has barely any nuances in characters, plot, themes, etc. And I don't see any of this changing anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

KOTOR absolutely is, but KOTOR II is on par, if not better.

Obsidian's take on The Force is truly unique.

I really have to play KOTOR 2 one of these days. It was so broken when it first came out I abandoned it and never looked back. 

49 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

I think the problem for me is that Star Wars never grow as a franchise. Even after 8 mainline movies, they are always about the exact same things: destiny, The Force, rebels vs empire, light side vs dark side, etc. The series still has barely any nuances in characters, plot, themes, etc. And I don't see any of this changing anytime soon. 

Solo wasn't about any of that stuff and people shat on it. It was a heist movie essentially.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

KOTOR was mentioned above and is an example of how Star Wars could grow. Star Wars movies have always been popcorn movies, both good and terrible ones. The potential of the universe is untapped because it doesn’t have to be the same popcorn movie formula. Marvel has found a lot of variation within the context of comic book movies.  Lucasfilm has not, but it is still early. Regardless of how SW was born, it has the potential to be something greater. 

I don’t hate the new movies. They are far better than the prequels. But that’s not really saying much. I don’t see anything wrong with demanding more in the golden age of television and with Marvel movies showing up Lucasfilm. 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I really have to play KOTOR 2 one of these days. It was so broken when it first came out I abandoned it and never looked back.

When you do, play it with this mod that restores as much of the cut content that Obsidian left behind in the game's files that the mod team could find.

20 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

KOTOR was mentioned above and is an example of how Star Wars could grow. Star Wars movies have always been popcorn movies, both good and terrible ones. The potential of the universe is untapped because it doesn’t have to be the same popcorn movie formula. Marvel has found a lot of variation within the context of comic book movies.  Lucasfilm has not, but it is still early. Regardless of how SW was born, it has the potential to be something greater. 

I don’t hate the new movies. They are far better than the prequels. But that’s not really saying much. I don’t see anything wrong with demanding more in the golden age of television and with Marvel movies showing up Lucasfilm. 

They did do that... With Rogue One and Solo and while folks liked Rogue One and were lukewarm on Solo, Lucasfilm were criticized for "over saturation" as has been mentioned in this very thread. So now they are pulling back. I think the modern day Star Wars "fan" is just too entitled and hard to please so they'd be smart to avoid trying to please those guys anyway and just make their movies.

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They did do that... With Rogue One and Solo and while folks liked Rogue One and were lukewarm on Solo, Lucasfilm were criticized for "over saturation" as has been mentioned in this very thread. So now they are pulling back. I think the modern day Star Wars "fan" is just too entitled and hard to please so they'd be smart to avoid trying to please those guys anyway and just make their movies.

These movies could be a lot better. Solo tried and failed to execute. Rogue One was really good, and it did try something different. Maybe that’s why I like TLJ and RO the best out of Disney’s movies so far since TLJ did some unique things as well. I lost conviction after Solo. I had defended the Disney movies up until I saw that. 

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Solo wasn't about any of that stuff and people shat on it. It was a heist movie essentially.

I haven't seen Solo, but the problem is, Solo is about Solo. Again, retreading the past. 

Star Wars is a franchise that is basically stuck in mud, whether we are talking about characters, plot, elements, themes, etc.

I think if they focused less on making the most money possible and hiring legit people to come up with stories in the universe they would have some great movies that would sell well but not be blockbusters, and that’s more than ok. 

Lower the budget. Lower the expectations a bit. Expand the universe in meaningful ways. You can still have your “big” Star Wars movies that can be spaced out a lot more. 

20 minutes ago, johnny said:

I think if they focused less on making the most money possible and hiring legit people to come up with stories in the universe they would have some great movies that would sell well but not be blockbusters, and that’s more than ok. 

Lower the budget. Lower the expectations a bit. Expand the universe in meaningful ways. You can still have your “big” Star Wars movies that can be spaced out a lot more. 

Lower the expectations? That’s literally impossible to do with Star Wars.