Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why? They payed 4 BILLION for the franchise... you better believe they want to make good on that. The smaller budgeted projects will be relegated to TV and other media.

If you add everything up I imagine they’ve made their money back already. Gross for the movies alone is over 4 billion. Don’t know what net is but then you have to include all other Star Wars revenue. 

Whatever, I’m just thinking long term and I care a lot less about TV. What I said was personally interesting to me and would likely still make them a lot of money if the movies are good. 

10 hours ago, johnny said:

I think if they focused less on making the most money possible and hiring legit people to come up with stories in the universe they would have some great movies that would sell well but not be blockbusters, and that’s more than ok. 

I would argue that largely they have been trying to find "legit" people to come up with interesting stories. Sure, it was a purely commercial choice to have JJ Abrams to re-introduce Star Wars to moviegoers. Given how well the film performed, I think it's hard to argue with that decision. Since then, they've hired a variety of well regarded, small time filmmakers (Edwards, Johnson, Lord & Miller) to make movies that are rather unlike what we'd seen in Star Wars to date. I think it's fair to argue they haven't exactly pulled it off, and they haven't exactly let those filmmakers (except for Johnson) make their movies, but I give them credit for at least trying.

Now they're developing two separate trilogies outside of the Skywalker Saga. It's silly to tell them not to make money with the most lucrative franchise on the planet, but even with the uneven results, I think they've mostly been going in the right direction.

Personally, I think they need to give their films a bit more time to breathe. Release some of the pressure from the filmmakers, don't be so dogmatic about release dates, allow some of these films to spend more time in development with less of a time crunch. That now seems to be what they're doing, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I agree with a lot of what @TwinIon said. I think to Disney's credit, they have made some attempts at changing things up. Solo is an example of such an attempt that failed.  It was an average heist movie and nothing more. The problem was on the execution, and who knows what was happening behind the scenes. I have no idea how such a long movie felt rushed, but it did, and it managed to bore me at the same time in many parts. The execution on these movies has been uneven, and I think given how Solo turned out, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to see someone besides Kennedy. However, she is there to stay, so I would hope that she learns from her mistakes. If anyone wants to argue that Solo was a great, perfect movie, I don't really know what to say. I think it objectively suffered in many areas, and it was predictable and cliche. 

I also want to go back to what @skillzdadirecta and @johnny were talking about. The Star Wars brand can be big blockbuster movies and it could also be many other movies (as johnny mentioned) and TV shows, and not just animated cartoons on the Disney Channel. If you just limit yourself to what it was in the past, you miss the point. They can make large budget popcorn flicks and at the same time make some really thoughtful, well done stories that have lower budgets. What's going to be tough is trying to get the balance right between allowing artists to express themselves and making sure everything still feels like it is in the Star Wars universe. I think if you look at Marvel and the variety of TV shows and movies they have done, the template is already pretty much there. 

There are people that hate Disney and Kennedy for all the wrong reasons, such as having women in positions of authority, or having an Asian woman play a character. Then there seem to be people that defend Disney just to piss off the racists and sexists, which is always fun, but lost in the shuffle is serious discussions about how Disney is not executing as well as they could be on the actual writing, stories, pacing, etc. Given how much I like Star Wars, I just want it to be the best it can be. Defending Disney after Solo is hard for me to do. Maybe I'm being too hard on them, but I do expect more from them. I expect innovation. Or perhaps in the end, I'm don't like Star Wars after all. I just like some of the better games and movies and perhaps I shouldn't expect anything exceptional going forward.

11 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Now they're developing two separate trilogies outside of the Skywalker Saga. It's silly to tell them not to make money with the most lucrative franchise on the planet, but even with the uneven results, I think they've mostly been going in the right direction.

in my post before this i said they could still make their big movies that would make money hand over fist. Not every star wars movie needs to be some huge event to make a lot of money. you can have smaller movies that still make a lot of money provided the quality is there. 

and like i said, this is just my idea and what i would want to see. im not going to pretend i know what's best for their business lol 

13 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I would argue that largely they have been trying to find "legit" people to come up with interesting stories. Sure, it was a purely commercial choice to have JJ Abrams to re-introduce Star Wars to moviegoers. Given how well the film performed, I think it's hard to argue with that decision. Since then, they've hired a variety of well regarded, small time filmmakers (Edwards, Johnson, Lord & Miller) to make movies that are rather unlike what we'd seen in Star Wars to date. I think it's fair to argue they haven't exactly pulled it off, and they haven't exactly let those filmmakers (except for Johnson) make their movies, but I give them credit for at least trying.

Personally, I think they need to give their films a bit more time to breathe. Release some of the pressure from the filmmakers, don't be so dogmatic about release dates, allow some of these films to spend more time in development with less of a time crunch. That now seems to be what they're doing, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Yep. What is the point of having guys like JJ Abrams if you are just going to remake A New Hope? JJ Abrams did a wonderful job with The Force Awakens, but that movie really set the direction of the franchise, and the direction is basically to retread old paths. 

10 hours ago, Dragonseeker said:

Yep. What is the point of having guys like JJ Abrams if you are just going to remake A New Hope? JJ Abrams did a wonderful job with The Force Awakens, but that movie really set the direction of the franchise, and the direction is basically to retread old paths. 

I would argue that JJ was the only safe pick in the Disney Star Wars stable (at least until Ron Howard). Gareth Edwards had made one big movie, but his style certainly wasn't a clear alignment with established Star Wars. As much as Rogue One was based on established mythology, it didn't rely on many established characters, and what characters they did established they killed off. Rian Johnson's filmography of self written indy oddities wasn't exactly screaming "blockbuster filmmaker," and I'd argue that the resulting film took some significant risks and greatly deviated from many expectations.

I do agree that if they continue to pick interesting directors like Edwards, Johnson, Lord & Miller, they should maybe allow them to make their movies, but without knowing much about how those films were going, it's hard to push that point too hard.

Disney, cut the s*** and make an original CGI Star Wars movie like we've been clamoring for over a decade.

*But it costs a million dollars a minute to make!*

Fine, make a movie that costs $100 million dollars (1 hour 40 minute running time), and how ever much other ancillary expense necessary (director, writer, actors, etc. expenses) in bringing it up to $150 million and watch the movie gross $225 million domestically and a billion world wide.

22 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Disney, cut the s*** and make an original CGI Star Wars movie like we've been clamoring for over a decade.

*But it costs a million dollars a minute to make!*

Fine, make a movie that costs $100 million dollars (1 hour 40 minute running time), and how ever much other ancillary expense necessary (director, writer, actors, etc. expenses) in bringing it up to $150 million and watch the movie gross $225 million domestically and a billion world wide.

That's... not how movie budgets work.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

I've never played KOTOR. How hard is it to get to run on Win 10?

I just replayed it on my Windows 10 gaming desktop PC. It ran fantastic and looks great for an old game. Only my second time playing through the game and I just did it this year (I hadn't played it since it originally came out). I look forward down the road to playing KOTOR II with the cut story content. The game plays so much better on PC than I remember it playing on a Xbox Original (and I liked it even back then).

Great game. A classic. 

She's done a great job with the property, so yeah I'm not surprised at the extension. Fanboys gonna fanboy though. I think it just comes down to insurmountable expectations for some...the OT was such a landmark thing not only for cinema but for many (now) adult film fans, so when new stuff comes out it will never "live up to the legacy" no matter how good it might be. 

It's like Christopher Reeve and Superman...no matter who plays the role nor how well, some fanboys will hate it because "only Reeve can play it". Some people treat Star Wars the same. 

On 9/28/2018 at 8:18 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Didn't somebody on the boards specifically say that she was fired and whatshisface's Star Wars trilogy was canceled? Did I read that here or somewhere else?

On 9/28/2018 at 8:38 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

Someone here did say it, but didn't provide a source.  The only other place I've heard that was in a youtube comment, lol.

It's exactly who you think:

On 8/23/2018 at 4:35 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

Even though Rian Johnson's trilogy has been been canceled, Kathleen Kennedy has probably been fired and Dave Filoni has taken her place...I really have low expectations for Plan IX Star Wars where they dig up footage of dead people and try to shoehorn every last notable Original Trilogy character in an attempt to fix Disney's Star Wars disaster. I really hope that Jar Jar Abrams can turn it all around. The Force Awakens was a retread of A New Hope but it wasn't all that bad.