Cases of leprosy on the rise in Florida: CDC

In recent decades, cases have been from travelers coming to the U.S. Now, researchers are pointing out that roughly one-third of cases from 2015 to 2020 appear to have been acquired locally, suggesting the disease is being transmitted in the U.S., either from person-to-person or from contact with animals like armadillos.

people fucking armadillos now? @SaysWho?

• Hype 1

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It is, but you won't be contributing tax revenue to DeSanctimonious.

This is why I won’t even have a layover in any red states now. I’ll give airlines thousands of more dollars before I give the chuds a dime.

39 minutes ago, Brick said:

I always heard Land was the lesser of the two parks. 

37 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It is, but you won't be contributing tax revenue to DeSanctimonious.

And also you're in southern California, which is much nicer than Florida, and closer to other even nicer things.

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

Malaria I think might be on its way out. It never really affected many people and I’m not sure there have been new cases since July. Most people barely knew it was around.

It’s weird when I read this stuff because Twitter thinks one thing, and I actually live here, open the window, and crickets GIF

41 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Malaria I think might be on its way out. It never really affected many people and I’m not sure there have been new cases since July. Most people barely knew it was around.

It’s weird when I read this stuff because Twitter thinks one thing, and I actually live here, open the window, and crickets GIF

Strong global warning isn’t real because it’s snowing at my house vibes here

36 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Strong global warning isn’t real because it’s snowing at my house vibes here

No, global warming is definitely something we can feel in Florida. But a lot of this other stuff, it ain’t it.

literally, a handful of people got malaria for a few weeks. In a few counties. Twitter made it seem like it consumed the state.

50 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

No, global warming is definitely something we can feel in Florida. But a lot of this other stuff, it ain’t it.

literally, a handful of people got malaria for a few weeks. In a few counties. Twitter made it seem like it consumed the state.

And all but one of the national cases are from your fast becoming flyover state lol

Ive never had malaria but treated patients who have and it looks miserable. I remember having to go into the haz mat suit because someone traveled through sub Saharan Africa and came to the ER with Ebola symptoms. Shot was malaria.

3 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

And all but one of the national cases are from your fast becoming flyover state lol

Ive never had malaria but treated patients who have and it looks miserable. I remember having to go into the haz mat suit because someone traveled through sub Saharan Africa and came to the ER with Ebola symptoms. Shot was malaria.

Let's see how many national cases there were.

230718-florida-malaria-pesticides-ew-123
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

All seven of Florida’s cases have been found in Sarasota County. A CDC official said the agency does not expect a nationwide outbreak.

Malaria was considered eliminated from the U.S. by 1951, but the country gets around 2,000 cases annually, nearly all among people who had traveled outside the U.S.

Dr. Monica Parise, the director of the CDC’s Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, said malaria outbreaks in the U.S. have historically been “relatively small and contained.” The outbreak in Sarasota County fits the pattern, she said.

There weren't many of those national cases, and considering it comes from mosquitos, it's not hard to figure out why it's happening in Florida. It's also rare but not new to Florida. Even this year, it was still rare in Florida.

As usual, Twitter/X focuses on the wrong thing. 

I can think of many things DeSantis has done wrong -- LGBTQ issues, black history studies, lack of leadership on rent and property insurance (this is a REALLY big one and actually impacts everyone) -- so being here and experiencing it first-hand, it's disappointing to see even this board focus on Twitter reactions about malaria or anything in that realm. I don't just google articles; we've been actually covering this, and the effects are so small and contained -- per CDC(!) -- that it'd be nice if d1p knew more about the things that really mattered, like how much of a Floridian's income goes toward their monthly housing payments.

That will give you all of malaria's symptoms and then some.

• True 2

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I can think of many things DeSantis has done wrong -- LGBTQ issues, black history studies, lack of leadership on rent and property insurance (this is a REALLY big one and actually impacts everyone) -- so being here and experiencing it first-hand, it's disappointing to see even this board focus on Twitter reactions about malaria or anything in that realm. I don't just google articles; we've been actually covering this, and the effects are so small and contained -- per CDC(!) -- that it'd be nice if d1p knew more about the things that really mattered, like how much of a Floridian's income goes toward their monthly housing payments.

That will give you all of malaria's symptoms and then some.

As someone who has the majority of his family in Florida, I'm very much well-aware of those issues -- especially involving the complete and total collapse of the property insurance market and the associated incompetence of DeSantis and his buffoon of a state insurance commissioner in even attempting to address the situation -- and the total irrelevance of these diseases in the greater scheme of things to general life there.

• Halal 2

I personally don’t think it benefits the left any to intentionally buy into false narratives of their own (when again, there is soooo much actual stuff), but even if it DID, I at least want to know what the actual reality is myself.

I’ve definitely seen a lot of steamrolling past truth (“so what, I’m on the right side so it doesn’t matter if it’s true as long as it sounds bad for the other side!”) on resetera, and before when I viewed twitter, and I’m not a huge fan of that way of processing information for myself. But I do understand the frustration that leads to it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stepee said:

I personally don’t think it benefits the left any to intentionally buy into false narratives of their own (when again, there is soooo much actual stuff), but even if it DID, I at least want to know what the actual reality is myself.

I’ve definitely seen a lot of steamrolling past truth (“so what, I’m on the right side so it doesn’t matter if it’s true as long as it sounds bad for the other side!”) on resetera, and before when I viewed twitter, and I’m not a huge fan of that way of processing information for myself. But I do understand the frustration that leads to it.

Yea, my post wasn’t blaming the Meatball, though, without doing any research, am sure that the Florida CDC is in shambles since he became governor 

:shrug: