Florida Schools Will Teach How Slavery Brought ‘Personal Benefit’ to Black People

Amazingly, that's not even necessarily the worst aspect of this white supremacist propaganda:

After the Florida Board of Education approved new standards for African American history on Wednesday, high school students will be taught an equally distorted message: that a deadly white mob attack against Black residents of Ocoee, Florida, in 1920 included “acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans.”

Dozens of Black residents were killed in the massacre, which was perpetrated to stop them from voting.

The thing is like while there really is no excuse at all to support Trump at any time past 2015 once he hit the campaign trail, it’s hard to deny that he has some weird charisma and can, at times, be funny. Unfortunate, but true. And for whatever reason he fits into the image the right wants to see themselves as.

NOBODY wants to see themselves as Ron Desantis. He represents the absolute absence of all charisma. He exudes slime. He is at a level of weird creepiness that is almost without equal. He looks exactly like a fucking egg. 

The ONLY reason besides racism to be a fan of Desantis is being anti lgbtq+, it’s literally all there is. If it wasn’t for his willingness to be openly such a horrible person, none of his supporters would actually want to spend a minute around the guy. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

The ONLY reason besides racism to be a fan of Desantis is being anti lgbtq+, it’s literally all there is. If it wasn’t for his willingness to be openly such a horrible person, none of his supporters would actually want to spend a minute around the guy. 

I believe you just summed up the modern GOP with that comment. 

• True 3

38 minutes ago, johnny said:

wtfff thank god i’m in california 

Gov. Gavin Newsom is intervening in a recent decision by a Southern California school board to reject social studies curriculum over its inclusion of gay rights activist Harvey Milk, marking his latest attempt to thwart book bans in the Golden State. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article277293478.html

8 hours ago, johnny said:

wtfff thank god i’m in california 

IDB-L-CVPOLICY-0615-14.jpg?w=640
WWW.EASTBAYTIMES.COM

The proposed policy would require teachers to insert themselves into a personal matter, a union representative says. “It’s just not what teachers are supposed to be doing.”

FUUUUUUCK MY FUCKING ASS, STOP ASSOCIATING YOURSELF WITH WHITE PEOPLE WHO LIVED HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO 

I fucking have more in common with Ron desantis then either of us have to fucking Henry Clay. We can all appreciate that a huge part of him was an evil piece of shit by our standards.

If you could meet any of your ancestors today beyond (maybe) your great grandparents, they would hate your fucking guts.

Once you understand that and come to peace with it, suddenly coming to terms with the country's past with racism doesn't feel like a personal attack anymore.

• Like 1
  • True 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:
IDB-L-CVPOLICY-0615-14.jpg?w=640
WWW.EASTBAYTIMES.COM

The proposed policy would require teachers to insert themselves into a personal matter, a union representative says. “It’s just not what teachers are supposed to be doing.”

This goes against CAs education departments guidance, and theres a good chance he state legislature would pass a law stopping this stuff, NY did it pre-emptively a few months ago updating their DASA law with explicit language for trans youth.

This is so blatantly evil.

At this point you could probably get a lot of moderate DeSantis voters to privately admit this is wrong, but they’ll never turn on him fully because of sunk loss fallacy. They’ve supported him up to this point why stop now?

• Halal 4

I honestly don't understand how it's viable for a trans student to be "out" at school but not at home. Not saying schools should explicitly go out of their way to notify parents, but there's still enough communications between schools/teachers and parents that it just doesn't seem tenable to refer to a student differently in different circumstances.

16 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I honestly don't understand how it's viable for a trans student to be "out" at school but not at home. Not saying schools should explicitly go out of their way to notify parents, but there's still enough communications between schools/teachers and parents that it just doesn't seem tenable to refer to a student differently in different circumstances.

not uncommon for kids to live two lives. One at school with their friends or at their friend’s house, and another when at home around their parents. Sometimes the home situation isn’t as understanding as teachers and friends. 

22 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

There was a student my wife was teaching, back when she was a teacher, who was only 'out' to my wife and their school friends. Other teachers wouldn't respect their chosen name (shockingly the one who was most shitty about it had a Trumpy Bear in his classroom) and the student asked that when my wife spoke to their parents that my wife use their given name, but in class wanted to be referred to by their other name. They were a good student so there wasn't a lot of back and forth communication from what I understand.

but it is doubtful that today students like this would be able to be out in any way given these conflicting and harmful laws and regulations placed on schools

22 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

not uncommon for kids to live two lives. One at school with their friends or at their friend’s house, and another when at home around their parents. Sometimes the home situation isn’t as understanding as teachers and friends. 

I mean, it's one thing to have a different personality at home versus at school. But like, what name do you put on a report card? How do you expect teachers refer to the student at parent-teacher conferences?

6 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I mean, it's one thing to have a different personality at home versus at school. But like, what name do you put on a report card? How do you expect teachers refer to the student at parent-teacher conferences?

Their given name, unless directed to do otherwise by the parents, in which case you know the parents know.  Basically you don't just tell the parents "well your kid wants to be know as X, when their name is Y"  its really not that complicated.

3 hours ago, ThreePi said:

If a child is living a double life, I’m sure they’re used to the name on report cards to be their legal name and not preferred name. Not to say a teacher might not mess up, but they’re used to seeing one name and identifying another with it. 

not unlike if a friend you know irl that you play online with only uses your online name when you’re online and your real name when talking to you or with people who only know you irl. 

Is it ideal for the child? No. But it’s also not on the teacher to out the kid to their parents. Depending on the home life and if that conversation was attempted once before, it could even be dangerous for the child. 

One of my most controversial theories is that the reason there are far more trans women than trans men (that is a fact, it's not even close) is because we traditionally are much more accepting of women taking on masculine roles than we are of men taking on feminine roles. Basically, girls aren't shamed if they don't want to play with Barbies, and that lets them develop their own identity within their own gender (I am a woman but also [x]). Men are shamed if they do want to play with Barbies.

That's not to diminish trans men. The plight of all trans people is real, regardless of sex.

I just think we could learn something from the disparity in the difference between the amount of trans women vs trans men.

If the end goal is becoming comfortable in your own skin, you should notice how women tend to be much more comfortable in their skin than men, and maybe we should examine why.

• True 2

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is it ideal for the child? No. But it’s also not on the parent to out the kid to their parents. Depending on the home life and if that conversation was attempted once before, it could even be dangerous for the child. 

(I assume you mean teacher to out the kid to their parents) ah and here's where the new Virginia Model Guidance set out by our stupid governor decides to give contradictory guidance to teachers

Stealing from reddit:

"This requirement is, of course, subject to laws that prohibit disclosure of information to parents in certain circumstances including, for example, Code of Virginia § 22.1-272.1(B) (prohibiting parental contact where student is at imminent risk of suicide related to parental abuse or neglect)."

Very interesting note in his policy - you are required to notify a parent if you believe they will verbally or physically abuse their child. BUT if you think the kid will kill themselves because of the abuse, you're not required to notify. How are educators supposed to walk that line?

I just view this in a similar way to calling the police for a mental health crisis. They're not equipped to deal with, but nobody has a better solution. Whether you ask a teacher to keep a secret or reveal a secret, your are inserting them into a situation they are not necessarily in the best position to handle. 

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

I just view this in a similar way to calling the police for a mental health crisis. They're not equipped to deal with, but nobody has a better solution. Whether you ask a teacher to keep a secret or reveal a secret, your are inserting them into a situation they are not necessarily in the best position to handle. 

I’m a teacher who has had to deal with a few students in situations like this last year. No, it wasn’t a difficult situation to handle at all. It’s like having a friend with a special nickname that you only use in specific situations. Only difficult thing about it was knowing I could lose my job simply for trying to protect my students. Thank you for looking out for us here but we can handle it ourselves.

Also, why did you bring this up? This thread is about black history.

• Halal 1