SAG-AFTRA (screen actors union) on the verge of strike as contract expires without a new deal

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
Bob-Iger-Disney.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

Disney CEO Bob Iger said on CNBC Thursday morning that writers and actors going on strike are not being "realistic" with their expectations.

Says the guy making 27 million a year. Eat the rich.

W5DVNLM7GVJNFKMFR7XQUMKANQ.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Walt Disney's board on Wednesday extended Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger's contract by two years as the experienced leader who came out of retirement in 2022 battles...

• True 1

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Bold stance to take: "I will not work on another film until I can have actors... And writers... the people whom I literally can't work without..."

meanwhile I’m sure there was some overlap on Opennheimer being finished and the strike. We are so very principled when it is convenient to be so.  

• True 1

Moody's seems to think that new agreements with all three guilds will total to an additional cost of $450M - $600M a year. That does not seem like all that much money when you spread it out between all these companies. Netflix's 2022 cost of revenues was $19 billion. The way the studios have been talking about this I thought it would have cost them a lot more.

Moody's also seems to think that the content pipeline won't be affected by the strike until next year, which sounds right.

26 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Moody's seems to think that new agreements with all three guilds will total to an additional cost of $450M - $600M a year. That does not seem like all that much money when you spread it out between all these companies. Netflix's 2022 cost of revenues was $19 billion. The way the studios have been talking about this I thought it would have cost them a lot more.

Moody's also seems to think that the content pipeline won't be affected by the strike until next year, which sounds right.

Studios being a bunch of bitches

On 7/14/2023 at 6:45 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Probably a few uninformed writers on Twitter or wherever you saw it. Folks are behind her from what I've heard. Was actually on the picket line today with WGA and SAG members... not one mentioned her or Italy.

THIS was the prevailing sentiment 

:daydream:

shutterstock_4842923e.jpg?w=650
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

Perlman wonders if food employees do the same when serving Donald Trump.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

I know Kevin Smith was talking about the fact he has another movie he'll be directing at the end of summer/beginning of fall, and because it falls under $3M, somehow they're exempt from having to strike.

I love love LOVE what Ron did. Said all he needed to say without really saying a damn thing, genius & badass MF'er through & through!

Iger's return, albeit hailed at first, is almost like the Grim Reaper arriving to take all comers & I feel as though this could really be another nail in their proverbial coffin (at least I hope so!)

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Iger's return, albeit hailed at first, is almost like the Grim Reaper arriving to take all comers & I feel as though this could really be another nail in their proverbial coffin (at least I hope so!)

I guess just another reminder that when Wall Street/ C Suite execs get happy you're about to get fucked. 

He was all I'm gonna focus on getting the creatives driving and that's the first ppl he fucks. 

• True 1

419c00cddd8ccdebf595559d6120a501.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

The Screen Actors Guild is on strike following the breakdown of negotiations as the AMPTP trips on on streaming, AI, and equity.

However, none of these have been made clear. This document from SAG-AFTRA, combined with the negotiations posted on the WGA’s site, show a pattern of refusing to rework the contracts that were created without adequate allowances for the popularity of streaming services, refusing to negotiate on pension and healthcare for the guild members, and a complete lack of interest in regulating AI. For both SAG-AFTRA and WGA, this strike isn’t just about defining the nebulous parts of their contracts, but an attempt to future-proof an industry that seems intent on demeaning and destroying artists and does not support up-and-coming performers and writers. There needs to be a path forward, and if AMPTP is standing in the way, SAG-AFTRA and the WGA are going to march over them anyway.

Other, larger indie movies have gotten the green light to go ahead with production as long as they meet the union's demands.

HollywoodLandmarks243846Finals.jpg?w=100
VARIETY.COM

The SAG-AFTRA indie waiver list includes A24's "Death of a Unicorn" with Paul Rudd and Jenna Ortega and "Mother Mary," starring Anne Hathaway.

The productions agree to abide by the terms of the latest offer submitted by SAG-AFTRA during contract negotiations. Ultimately, the productions will adhere to the final deal negotiated by the AMPTP.

Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the union’s executive director, said on a conference call Tuesday that actors are actively encouraged to participate in such projects.

He said if independent productions are able to move forward on the union’s terms, that undermines the studio talking point that the union’s demands are “unrealistic.”

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Other, larger indie movies have gotten the green light to go ahead with production as long as they meet the union's demands.

HollywoodLandmarks243846Finals.jpg?w=100
VARIETY.COM

The SAG-AFTRA indie waiver list includes A24's "Death of a Unicorn" with Paul Rudd and Jenna Ortega and "Mother Mary," starring Anne Hathaway.

39 Indie projects??? My god, Harrison Ford is the hardest working man in Hollywood!

troll dancing GIF

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sicko 1

230719125946-universal-studios-barham-bl
WWW.CNN.COM

The Los Angeles City Controller’s office is investigating after NBCUniversal severely trimmed a row of trees outside its studios where members of SAG-AFTRA were picketing company executives, eliminating shade during a searing heatwave.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1