SAG-AFTRA (screen actors union) on the verge of strike as contract expires without a new deal

Man, I bet the DGA feels pretty stupid now for not joining SAG/WGA in a strike as those directors ain't gonna have any actual work!

13sag-talks-collapse-01-gcjp-facebookJum
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

SAG-AFTRA, representing 160,000 television and movie actors, could strike as soon as Thursday, joining screenwriters who have been picketing for over 70 days.

Hollywood’s first industrywide shutdown in 63 years neared certainty, with the union representing 160,000 television and movie actors poised to call a strike as soon as Thursday and join screenwriters who walked off the job in May.

SAG-AFTRA, as the union is known, said at nearly 1 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday that negotiations with Hollywood studios over a new contract had collapsed and that its negotiating board had voted unanimously to recommend a strike. The previous three-year contract expired at 11:59 p.m., after an extension from June 30 to allow for continued talks.

The union’s national board was scheduled to meet at 9 a.m. Pacific for a final strike vote. Pickets could start later on Thursday.

• Shocked 1

Good. Right now in streaming the economics of the entire industry are changing, and these unions need to make sure that the workforce doesn't get completely squeezed out in the process.

I enjoyed that NPR noted that the last time both writers and actors were on strike at the same time Ronald Regan was president of the Actors guild.

Good. Basically right now all of the studios are purposefully obfuscating how much money they make from streaming. Box office numbers and nielsen ratings are public, which make it easy for writers and actors to judge their worth. Ever since the move to streaming, no one knows shit about anything and the studios are all saying they don't make any money, at least partially in an effort to low ball everyone.

It was why that Scarlett Johansson lawsuit was potentially going to be such a big deal and why Disney settled out of court with her. If that case went to trial, Disney would have been forced to make public exactly how much money they make from streaming and where it goes (i.e. how they hide it)

• Halal 3

priya_raghuvanshi_bi_69-sixteen_nine.png
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Suumit Shah, Dukaan’s founder and CEO, shared the update through a Twitter post where he explained that the query resolution time went down to 3 minutes and 12 seconds from the previous time duration of 2 hours and 13 minutes after the introduction of Dukaan’s own AI assistant

This is just one example of what she's talking about. I was thinking about Walmart as another example where they would have to have 20–30 cashiers cut down to 2–6 for now. Fast food restaurants can't wait to drastically cut staff.

• Halal 1

“President Drescher is working as a brand ambassador for Dolce and Gabbana on location in Italy. This was a commitment fully known to the negotiating committee. She has been in negotiations every day either in person or via videoconference. President Drescher is managing a physically demanding schedule across three time zones, overseeing negotiations and working on location daily as well as managing her parents’ needs in [Florida]. She is returning to the States and will be on the ground in L.A. tomorrow [July 11], and will continue to chair our negotiations,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement.

Sounds like she's doing her job.

• Halal 1

Can't help but think this is the beginning of the end. Strange how all of those sci-fi flicks about AI never spoke about how the first domino toppled.

Jokes aside, while I do feel slightly bad for IATSE, they did negotiate their deals last year, just sucks that there isn't any real work to be had by those members. As for the entire theater industry ... this does NOT bode well whatsoever. That's what truly hurts me the most, aside from the fact we'll have a dry well past the end of this year. Then again, all those films yet to release this year will not be having any of the stars promoting.

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Good. Right now in streaming the economics of the entire industry are changing, and these unions need to make sure that the workforce doesn't get completely squeezed out in the process.

I enjoyed that NPR noted that the last time both writers and actors were on strike at the same time Ronald Regan was president of the Actors guild.

So if the pattern holds The Nanny will be our next president. I’m down. 

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

So if the pattern holds The Nanny will be our next president. I’m down. 

She was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens,

Til her boyfriend kicked her out in one of those crushing scenes.
What was she to do, where was she to go?
She was out on her fanny.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Good speech but it seems like people had to twist her arm into making it. She was living it up in Italy a few days ago and like a month ago I saw a lot of people being supremely unimpressed with comments she made at the time about the negotiations.

That Italy thing was pre-planned and she had the approval of the board from SAG to go. The studio has been on a smear campaign to discredit her. SAG membership is very happy with her and she knows the issues. Nobody had to "twist her arm" to speak up.

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We'll see. With the actors striking,  everything is shut down. Awards shows, productions, promotions... everything. 

I believe that SAG striking as well may change things. I think it also means that networks won’t be able to force some (talk) shows to come back without their writers like last time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That Italy thing was pre-planned and she had the approval of the board from SAG to go. The studio has been on a smear campaign to discredit her. SAG membership is very happy with her and she knows the issues. Nobody had to "twist her arm" to speak up.

Well I guess it worked because I'm repeating what I saw writers saying in reaction. 

18 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

AI can be beneficial if it helps lower the amount of work for graphics departments, for example. That way, they wouldn't have to work crazy hours.

Except in reality instead of working half as much for the same pay, they will lay off half the workers and the remainder will continue to work just as long.

• Halal 2

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Except in reality instead of working half as much for the same pay, they will lay off half the workers and the remainder will continue to work just as long.

Any ideas that advanced technology helps anyone but the rich should have been dispelled long ago. If you still think the market will find a way for people to get ahead, I have a bridge to sell you (or whatever that saying is)

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Any ideas that advanced technology helps anyone but the rich should have been dispelled long ago. If you still think the market will find a way for people to get ahead, I have a bridge to sell you (or whatever that saying is)

One positive application I could see is in medical research, if AI could be used to speed up research and help find cures to diseases quicker, that is one profession where the most important thing is finding solutions asap.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Well I guess it worked because I'm repeating what I saw writers saying in reaction. 

Probably a few uninformed writers on Twitter or wherever you saw it. Folks are behind her from what I've heard. Was actually on the picket line today with WGA and SAG members... not one mentioned her or Italy.

THIS was the prevailing sentiment 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 3

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Probably a few uninformed writers on Twitter or wherever you saw it. Folks are behind her from what I've heard. Was actually on the picket line today with WGA and SAG members... not one mentioned her or Italy.

THIS was the prevailing sentiment 

And also, like, no matter, of all the things to concentrate on with this, Jason chooses this weird ass hill to die on lol

• True 1