SAG-AFTRA (screen actors union) on the verge of strike as contract expires without a new deal

On 7/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, silentbob said:
230719125946-universal-studios-barham-bl
WWW.CNN.COM

The Los Angeles City Controller’s office is investigating after NBCUniversal severely trimmed a row of trees outside its studios where members of SAG-AFTRA were picketing company executives, eliminating shade during a searing heatwave.

They got like a $250 fine lmao

• Guillotine 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Fines should scale based on income/resources. Like if I pee in public maybe my fine is 500.00 but if Universal does it or should be tens of thousands. 

We really do need to crack down on major studios urinating in public.

• Haha 3
  • True 2

ad5149e1c66d11687ae4bd6d8aef2736.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

Both SAG-AFTRA and the WGA have said they're open to return to the bargaining table, but AMPTP isn't reaching out.

Mike Schur, who is a member of the WGA bargaining committee, said to Variety, “The plan is for them to call us on the phone and ask us to sit down. We’re not calling them.” There’s a similar story from SAG-AFTRA. “The last engagement we had on that point was the 12th of July when they said to us they don’t think they’d be ready to talk for quite some time,” said SAG-AFTRA executive director and chief negotiator, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland.

While WGA members knew they were in for a long strike (they walked away from an incredibly bad contract in May), the fact that they haven’t been asked back to the negotiating table is genuinely infuriating. For the past few months, AMPTP has used its negotiations with the DGA (which ratified a new contract in June) and SAG-AFTRA to avoid talking to the WGA, but what excuses is it using now? According to Variety, one studio source chose to quote Friends (you know, that TV show that was so popular it made every single lead actor a multi-millionaire in large part because of residuals—the very income stream that has now all but disappeared): “We’re on a break.”

ap22226188741343_wide-73010e91bc4295e6e8
WWW.NPR.ORG

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers rejected the SAG-AFTRA union's request for a separate type of residual payment that actors would get once their programs hit...

Kamil McFadden, who starred on three seasons of Disney's K.C. Undercover, tweeted a screen recording of his residuals, several of which had negative dollar amounts. He said his net income from the list was $2.77.

Jana Schmieding, who played Bev on FX's Reservation Dogs, said she gets a 3-cent residual every quarter for the show being streamed on Hulu.

• Shocked 1

Sony just shook up their calendar in a major way due to the assumption that the labor matter will not be resolved anytime soon, making talent unavailable to participate in promotion.

The studios suck so bad

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Sony just shook up their calendar in a major way due to the assumption that the labor matter will not be resolved anytime soon, making talent unavailable to participate in promotion.

The studios suck so bad

There's no way it's sustainable for them into winter. 

GettyImages-108161706.jpg?w=1600&h=900&c
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

SAG and the studios have agreed to a consultation process that stunt performers hope will end controversial practices of 'paintdowns' and 'wiggings.'

Actor Jason George was a few years into his career when he secured his first starring role in a movie. It was the early 2000s, and he’d been cast as a co-lead in a mountain climbing flick called The Climb. He was excited for the prospect of a break until he walked into a trailer one day and saw a white man “wearing my wardrobe, my helmet, my climbing harness, and they’re putting makeup on him to make him look like me.”

George, who is Black, was stunned. 

“I did a double take — if you’d shot it for a movie, [my reaction] would’ve been too much, too big,” he tells Rolling Stone. “I stepped out to make sure I was in the right place, came back in, and said, ‘What is happening?’ And they said, ‘This is your stunt double.’”

Kang_Future_Hollywood.png?mbid=social_re
WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

Since the streaming era, movies and television feel less special, labor conditions have plummeted, and turbulent mergers and layoffs call into question which legendary...

An excellent but very depressing read. Hollywood execs need this strike so that they can be stopped from making such unsustainable decisions. The studios won’t survive if they continue down this route.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:29 PM, SuperSpreader said:

There's no way it's sustainable for them into winter. 

More sustainable than it is for writers and scale actors trying to pay for rent and food. Starving out a strike definitely is a time tested strategy for these bastards. They’ll just flood our screens with more reality tv and cheap, thrown together “documentaries” (like the Depp v Heard one Netflix just announced), collect money off subscriptions to the tune of billions at greatly decreased costs, and wait until the poors can’t not make a deal. 

the only people who can wait this out are the top actors/directors, and I imagine they are a tiny fraction of these unions. 

1 hour ago, 69los said:
Stephenb-Amell-SAG-AFTRA-strike.jpg?w=10
DEADLINE.COM

Stephen Amell, whose Starz drama series Heels returned for its second season over the weekend, is not going to the mat for the actors strike that is rattling in Hollywood. Amell, best known for pla…

Room temperature IQ take from a guy that decided to shoot arrows at someone who can run faster than light? You don’t say.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Room temperature IQ take from a guy that decided to shoot arrows at someone who can run faster than light? You don’t say.

I'm surprised to see him be a turd about this after the complaints he aired about how closing out his time on Arrow went. Like the stuff with having to shoot his final scene with some tennis balls instead of the other actors.
  • True 1

• 2 weeks later...

It didn’t dawn on me until I saw a thread about a new South Park game and thought about Keith David and others, but video game jobs are currently immune from these strikes. 

not that the video game industry is a bastion of fair work practices and talent getting their “fair share” of the profits. But I wonder if these strikes will impact the gaming industry at all. 

it seems unlikely talent would join in, but I wonder if film and tv talent will seek refuge within the video game industry for some income while the strikes continue. Seeing production quality in both writing and acting improve as A list talent is more available. 

On 8/13/2023 at 9:33 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It didn’t dawn on me until I saw a thread about a new South Park game and thought about Keith David and others, but video game jobs are currently immune from these strikes. 

not that the video game industry is a bastion of fair work practices and talent getting their “fair share” of the profits. But I wonder if these strikes will impact the gaming industry at all. 

it seems unlikely talent would join in, but I wonder if film and tv talent will seek refuge within the video game industry for some income while the strikes continue. Seeing production quality in both writing and acting improve as A list talent is more available. 

This is a good question. A quick google search produced this Dual Shockers article from last month.

hollywood-strikes-header.jpg
WWW.DUALSHOCKERS.COM

When Hollywood strikes, the world listens. It brings movie and TV productions grind to a halt, but how does this affect the game industry, if at all?

SAG-AFTRA and WAG members must adhere to union stipulations, which prevents them from working for TV and movie studios during strike action. This doesn't preclude them from working on games; we could even see an influx of screen actors lining up for voice work. However, game production could easily get embroiled in the quagmire. We won't see any solidarity strikes, but, from what we can tell, the current agreement between game studios and SAG-AFTRA was not extended past 2022.

If negotiations are taking place between unions and game studios, strike action could be called if a stalemate. These strikes would be independent of any action taken in Hollywood but could occur at the same time. Both sectors share many similarities and concerns. Anything that alters the project schedule can be costly and studios have the opportunity to learn from the strikes in Hollywood and see any action off before it surfaces. Failure to do so, especially if more than one union is at the table, could bring things to a grinding halt.

• Thanks 1