Enjoy Youtube? Watch w/ an Ad Blocker? You May Get Banned!

Just came across this & the following video and what in the actual fuck?

Yeah I'm not a fan of JC, especially how he's gone about operating his channel, but I figured since his video was the first to inform me, I'll share it here:

I truly feel, with the way Elon's operating Twitter, the push for Meta, all thats happening with reddit, like this truly feels as though the golden age of a FREE internet is going away.

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I tried YouTube premium to watch Cobra Kai back when it was a YT Red/Premium exclusive show, never went back to regular YT. It’s worth the $8/month for the music app alone IMO.

That's funny as I too picked up YT Red when Cobra Kai first launched (isn't that show just the freaking best!?)  Yet I thought it wasn't worth it, as I use Amazon Music so the YT music wasn't necessarily a must for me.

My biggest thing is, I watch YT at home through my Xbox Series X, there is no adblock function/feature for consoles, so I am FORCED to have to watch a gazillion ads per every video I watch & it's intrusive AF. So when I'm on a PC wherein I can utilize an adblocker, and its a freaking godsend!

Also, @Keyser_SozeI believe they are testing it in certain markets currently, but more than likely, this will be a thing one way or another, sooner rather than later I fear.

Just now, SoberChef said:

My biggest thing is, I watch YT at home through my Xbox Series X, there is no adblock function/feature for consoles, so I am FORCED to have to watch a gazillion ads per every video I watch & it's intrusive AF. So when I'm on a PC wherein I can utilize an adblocker, and its a freaking godsend!

Yeah I can feel this pain. Since the Giant Bomb app is busted (or was last time I tried) I had to watch Game Mess Mornings through youtube and there is like an ad every 5 minutes (if you're lucky) :|

• True 1

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Also, @Keyser_SozeI believe they are testing it in certain markets currently, but more than likely, this will be a thing one way or another, sooner rather than later I fear.

I watch YouTube through my tv all the time in my living room.  You can actually skip some of the ads. I think I hit the up arrow on my remote, click on a little i symbol, click stop seeing ad, and I flag each one as “inappropriate” for fun.  Once you get the muscle memory down it takes like 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it won’t let you skip the ad and in will just show you a QR code or something and you just have to watch the ad. See if it works on the Xbox.

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I watch YouTube through my tv all the time in my living room.  You can actually skip some of the ads. I think I hit the up arrow on my remote, click on a little i symbol, click stop seeing ad, and I flag each one as “inappropriate” for fun.  Once you get the muscle memory down it takes like 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it won’t let you skip the ad and in will just show you a QR code or something and you just have to watch the ad. See if it works on the Xbox.

Yeah, you can skip them after 5 seconds and some not. They still pop up and interrupt the video which is the issue.

37 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I hate capitalism so much. It really does feel like what I knew the internet to be is going away forever. 

Cory Doctorow coined the term "eshittification" to describe this trend:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

My issue is I (and lots of other people not as well off as I am) have only so much money and room for monthly subs!

I have Patreon podcasts subscriptions that total almost $100 a year. I've got Amazon Prime and Spotify Premium. Hell, I'm stealing HBO and Disney! I can't pay for EVERYTHING I do. SOMETHING has to be free!

These bastards can't make money off of everything. (Which, I understand full well that, yes, they can.)

Even our leisure is capitalized to extract value from us. Fucking leeches. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Cory Doctorow coined the term "eshittification" to describe this trend:

Great read. 

"Monetize" is a terrible word that tacitly admits that there is no such thing as an "Attention Economy." You can't use attention as a medium of exchange. You can't use it as a store of value. You can't use it as a unit of account. Attention is like cryptocurrency: a worthless token that is only valuable to the extent that you can trick or coerce someone into parting with "fiat" currency in exchange for it. You have to "monetize" it – that is, you have to exchange the fake money for real money.

• True 1

YouTube Premium is probably my most used streaming service. Having no ads whether I watch something on my phone or TV is so good. YouTube Music coming along for the ride is a fine bonus, but no ads on the videos is more than worth it.

This is the most understandable money grab I've seen and I don't get how anyone can argue anyone is being greedy here. YouTube let's any weirdo in the world upload 4k videos with reckless abandoned and hasn't charged anyone for it. This is one service nobody is going to move away from because what are the alternatives? Who else is offering what YouTube offers? Amazon gave us Twitch Turbo. Vimeo charges creators. Nebula is subscription only. TikTok is maxed out at 10 minutes. Are we doing Instagram, then? They're even worse with YouTube even if I'm stuck watch ads.

I'll just stick with YouTube Premium.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

I hate capitalism so much. It really does feel like what I knew the internet to be is going away forever. 

The Internet we knew was a bubble that was never going to last. There was a day when advertisers would pay just for the privilege of their banner ad gracing a page that has a million views. When they didn't see a return on that investment, they demanded proof that their ads were actually working in the form of cookies. When that showed they were being ignored, they moved from paying for views to paying for click throughs. However, who clicks on a banner ad other than our grandparents?

I'm shocked YouTube has managed to remain free, let alone allow as blockers this far. I can barely browse the web these days without getting a notice asking me to undo ad block to read their content.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

YouTube Premium is probably my most used streaming service. Having no ads whether I watch something on my phone or TV is so good. YouTube Music coming along for the ride is a fine bonus, but no ads on the videos is more than worth it.

This is the most understandable money grab I've seen and I don't get how anyone can argue anyone is being greedy here. YouTube let's any weirdo in the world upload 4k videos with reckless abandoned and hasn't charged anyone for it. This is one service nobody is going to move away from because what are the alternatives? Who else is offering what YouTube offers? Amazon gave us Twitch Turbo. Vimeo charges creators. Nebula is subscription only. TikTok is maxed out at 10 minutes. Are we doing Instagram, then? They're even worse with YouTube even if I'm stuck watch ads.

I'll just stick with YouTube Premium.

I wanna go back to ppl having their own websites with links to their friends with cool shit. 

YouTube Premium gets content creators, many of whom are small, some support without you having to sit through ads. It's really a great service and I highly recommend it.

That said, when watching YouTube on a number of platforms like on consoles, you STILL get ads even with a Premium subscription. So that's pretty bullshitty.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I sub for my 4TB seedbox with 20 Gb/s that can also host Plex, and Spotify. Thats all I need.

If blocking adblockers becomes a thing Ill just buy a Pi hole. 

I'm pretty sure websites can detect that you're using a pihole. Google may not bother setting up the detection for that though since I'm sure the number of people with piholes is a rounding error fraction of the number of people who use browser adblocking. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm pretty sure websites can detect that you're using a pihole. Google may not bother setting up the detection for that though since I'm sure the number of people with piholes is a rounding error fraction of the number of people who use browser adblocking. 

There are some other things I use to get around websites bullshit. Chameleon and fingerprint blocker along with a VPN from Eurozone countries. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Depends on how Google detects adblockers. They can get adblocker info over the browser information query, which pihole skips, but there's no reason they couldn't also detect it on video playback. That is, they can probably tell and detect that a video shouldn't start playing until after the thirty second ad break. It'll just be everyone staring at a black screen waiting for the Skip Ad countdown.

17 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I tried YouTube premium to watch Cobra Kai back when it was a YT Red/Premium exclusive show, never went back to regular YT. It’s worth the $8/month for the music app alone IMO.

last time I looked at YT premium it was $15/mo and I said “fuck that” on principal. 

I just checked. Now it’s $16/mo. Yeah fuck that. 

• True 2

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

last time I looked at YT premium it was $15/mo and I said “fuck that” on principal. 

I watch YouTube far, far more than I use any other streaming service combined. And a decent percentage of the money goes directly to the people I watch, regardless if they're videos get ads.

It's pretty worth it to me. Depends how much you watch.

Not to mention it also comes with YouTube music with no ads, watch allowed me to cancel Spotify.

If you pay for a full year at once it's $120. I'll eat that money if it comes to it. There's no question though that it's hard not to associate this decision with the general feeling that's pervasive right now that the whole internet is gradually getting shittier.

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Student discount is $8 :kiss:

Also, it’s $12/month normally unless you’re signing up on an iPhone/iPad then they charge extra to negate Apple’s fees which brings it up to $16/month. Sign up on a desktop.

@SuperSpreader @SoberChef :p 

EDIT: ooops, my bad… I pay $7/month IMG-7886.jpg

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Student discount is $8 :kiss:

Also, it’s $12/month normally unless you’re signing up on an iPhone/iPad then they charge extra to negate Apple’s fees which brings it up to $16/month. Sign up on a desktop.

@SuperSpreader @SoberChef :p 

EDIT: ooops, my bad… I pay $7/month IMG-7886.jpg

Pass. 

I like Spotify for music. I already have Apple TV, D+/Hulu, Netflix, Max, prob some other ones.