Nintendo Direct 6/21 - 7am PT / 10am ET, Switch 2023 titles (Pikmin 4, etc)

crispy4000

Looking at Nintendo’s site, I saw that the original (US) Fire Emblem is being added to the GBA library tomorrow, which is as exciting to me as anything in this show.

What I mean is, kind of a dud, but I said “huh, maybe I’ll check that out” a couple times.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

People are into video games on a video game message board

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Yeah I was talking about the Wario Shovel- I mean mini-games. You would think as long as I've been playing games I would have remembered how sensitive Nintendo fans are. My bad... carry on :peace:

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe Skillz only saw Palia and turned it off.

See my above post.

• Halal 1

Warioware is one of the most fun series out there so yeah I like them. The last switch one was great and really helped me through that period right when I got out of the hospital and was in intense pain and unable to walk. 

I would prefer it wasn’t motion only stuff but at least I can use xreal so I don’t need to have it take up the tv. I’m sure it’ll be a blast.

But yeah new Mario, Warioware, Mario RPG Remake, Detective Pikachu 2, and likely something cool staring Peach, this show definitely knows what I like. Funny that rumors were that Zelda was the last big Switch game. Nintendo rumors from industry people are almost always wrong it seems.

2023 is officially an all timer now with a strong Nintendo showing to round things up.

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Funny that rumors were that Zelda was the last big Switch game. Nintendo rumors from industry people are almost always wrong it seems.

I don't think people were necessarily saying Zelda was the last big game, it's just that no one knew what was beyond Pikmin 4, which was the last big game anyone knew about.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think people were necessarily saying Zelda was the last big game, it's just that no one knew what was beyond Pikmin 4, which was the last big game anyone knew about.

na there was a specific news cycle around it

QXWmHtbe4X9xP5wce9Qcp-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

There could be a huge gap in big first-party titles for the console after May 2023

Just now, Brian said:

They are right. 2D Mario isn’t a big game. #Facts

Fight Reaction GIF

Lol that penguin rules. But thank you I was waiting for someone to let me mention that 2D Mario has 6 entries (including the most recent entry, U)  in the top 50 best selling games of all time, all of them placed higher than Sony’s top entry, God of War 2018. :P

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Nintendo def wins not E3 this year, if nothing else due to the level of surprises here. 

I think they win too because of it, but not by a landslide, which is also cool considering how strong this show was.

1. Nintendo

2. Microsoft + Starfield

3. Ubisoft

I'm really, really excited about the Pikmin 4 stuff they showed personally.  The underground was the best part of 2.  And you can level up the dog?  And your speed?  And go out at night?  And there's more 'real world' environments, even in the underground?  This is exactly what the series needed.

40 minutes ago, stepee said:

na there was a specific news cycle around it

QXWmHtbe4X9xP5wce9Qcp-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

There could be a huge gap in big first-party titles for the console after May 2023

That's all speculation though, like I said. No one actually knew and basically the articles are saying they don't know either. :p

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

That's all speculation though, like I said. No one actually knew and basically the articles are saying they don't know either. :p

Well yeah, I mean I know nobody knew because it’s obviously not the case :P But everyone was saying the same thing all year and there were def industry rumors/word on that but I’m not going to write a report on the subject lol

Either way, point is to never try to guess Nintendo anything. Just like I’m sure a lot of us are thinking we get a new 3D Mario with a Switch 2 launch, but we need to remember they also released 3DS with Pilot Wings Resort!

59 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I learned this the hard way and @Brick also learned it the hard way.

I actually still haven't used it. :blush:

Super Mario RPG was not the SNES remake I was expecting, but I'll take it. Yeah another NEW Super Mario Bros. game essentially as well, but fuck it I'll get Wonder too.

I’ve recently realized that pretty much any game show or game show season the main thing I want are Nintendo platformers and Mario games and besides a few exceptions everything else is secondary. Like, I enjoy all my AAA story stuff, but my Mario stuff is what I need to know about more urgently and what I usually get the least info ahead of time on.

So yeah this show pretty much made today feel like a holiday.

• Like 1

The MythForce game looked cool, but I think it would be better if it was 3rd person. The idea of it looking like an '80s Saturday morning cartoon is cool, but it being made by Aspyr is worrying given their troubles with other games. 

On 6/20/2023 at 6:58 PM, stepee said:

I’m not and never have been a fan of the NSMB aesthetic style and the first three games are just okay (but they are still good platformers if not up to Mario standards) but I’d say U is a better platformer than DKCT and  it’s biggest fault is simply that the other three games came out first. If it was only U+Luigi that ever released I think it would be considered simply one of the best 2D platformers, period. It’s a fantastic game. 

That said I don’t want U2 either because the style is worn. Apparently the new Sonic game uses the Mania physics in the 3D engine now. I’d like to see them get the Mario world physics in a game engine that could make 3D models that looked hand drawn like the characters in Guilty Gear Strive done up like the late 80s/early 90s art.

Mario World physics but have it literally look exactly like 

61RrwLn4qeL.jpg

Add a Mario World like map and bring the cape power up back and call it Super Mario Bros 5 and I’d probably cry

I liked Super Mario Bros. U well enough when I played it on the Wii U, but the NSMB games have always felt lackluster to me. Clearly the B-team for Mario games making them, and I wish we could get the creativity we get from Galaxy and Odyssey just on a 2D plane. Hell the few sections of the Galaxy games and Odyssey that do shift to 2D sidescrolling are better than anything in the NSMB games. Just take a look at these videos, and compare them to DKCTP:

Even just graphically the Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country games are so much better looking, and have greater looking backgrounds, with the added touch of some stages moving you into the background. I really hope the team for Wonder step up their game. Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting it anyway, and it already does look better than the NSMB games, but the bar is set very high. 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

I liked Super Mario Bros. U well enough when I played it on the Wii U, but the NSMB games have always felt lackluster to me. Clearly the B-team for Mario games making them, and I wish we could get the creativity we get from Galaxy and Odyssey just on a 2D plane. Hell the few sections of the Galaxy games and Odyssey that do shift to 2D sidescrolling are better than anything in the NSMB games. Just take a look at these videos, and compare them to DKCTP:

Even just graphically the Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country games are so much better looking, and have greater looking backgrounds, with the added touch of some stages moving you into the background. I really hope the team for Wonder step up their game. Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting it anyway, and it already does look better than the NSMB games, but the bar is set very high. 

I should point out, Mario side scrollers are purposefully designed very differently from DKC. DKC levels are designed to be as organic as possible where as every Mario side scroller has been designed on a grid because that's how Miyamoto and crew did it with the first game in the series.

I actually don't want that to ever change, even if that means we'd miss getting more creative and prettier games. I don't know about people here, but one of my favorite things to do as a child after first experiencing Mario in the 80s was just blow my way through stacks of grid paper designing my own Mario levels. I can't help but feel a tinge of jealousy when I see my son doing the same thing, decades later, but on his Switch and in Mario Maker 2.

I think the accessibility of the level design is part of the charm of the franchise. With Mario Bros, you can see the seams and I think that's just part of its DNA at this point even if it's a detriment to the visuals.

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

The more I sit and think about it, the more I kind of want to play the first two pikmin games…we’re there any QoL improvements outside of HD treatment? 

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think they’re just being emulated on Switch, aren’t they?

They replaced the Duracell batteries with a generic brand!

• Sicko 1

8 hours ago, Brick said:

I still have the Wii version of Pikmin 2 in shrink wrap. I should really play it. I also still have Pikmin 3 download on my Wii U waiting to be played. 

Pikmin 2 is the best.  Pikmin 3 is alright, but felt like too much micromanagement by the end IMO.