PSVR2 or Meta Quest 3

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't particularly want to play either in VR so...

And I should also probably add that if you get a Quest 3 you're not just locked down to the ecosystem of what Sony wants to give you. Meaning you could probably get more stuff on the Quest 3.

• Halal 1

46 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I thought the rumors from Apple were an AR productivity device

That's what I thought as well... figured I missed something when it was mentioned.

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And I should also probably add that if you get a Quest 3 you're not just locked down to the ecosystem of what Sony wants to give you. Meaning you could probably get more stuff on the Quest 3.

Is Quest still tied to Facebook or no?

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Apple's headset is gonna be Three Grand? Yeah that's not in the same category as these two devices. Not for me at least.

I didn’t read the article:p  I googled the Quest 3 since you didn’t add any info about it and all I saw is how Q3 got announced before Apple’s headset. Seeing the headlines, I assumed the headset would be similar to the Q3. 

• Halal 1

I would be way more interested in PSVR2 if Sony had launched it with PC support (they port games to PC now and had they launched with the original Astrobot for PC it would have sold well) but I have some games already in the Quest ecosystem (but no headset at the moment) I will probably get the Quest 3.

• True 1

There’s a debate to be and which to get I think if you are just using Q3 as a stand alone. Then if what you really want is to see modern games in VR you’d probably want to get a psvr2.

But since you have a pc, you definitely want to get a Q3. I love the hardware for psvr2, and there’s some good stuff to play from the launch, but Sony hasn’t shown good signs it’s going to get a lot of future support yet. Quest 3, even if they did drop support, which is more unlikely imo, you still have a headset that works with steamvr on pc, so you’re still good.

Really disappointed that Q3 doesn’t have eye tracking, hdr, and an oled display. Seems a lot less forward thinking than psvr2, I’m only hoping there is a huge fov jump to make up for that. I didn’t see anything on what the fov is.

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, Brian said:

I didn’t read the article:p  I googled the Quest 3 since you didn’t add any info about it and all I saw is how Q3 got announced before Apple’s headset. Seeing the headlines, I assumed the headset would be similar to the Q3. 

Pretty sure Apple's headset is going to be more for work and akin to high end workstations hence the price. This has been known for awhile. When you posted I thought their planc had changes or that they were announcing another product.

19 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I would be way more interested in PSVR2 if Sony had launched it with PC support (they port games to PC now and had they launched with the original Astrobot for PC it would have sold well) but I have some games already in the Quest ecosystem (but no headset at the moment) I will probably get the Quest 3.

Yeah I'm leaning towards a quest 3 as well. I enjoyed the original quest and would have gotten a quest 2 if I hadn't JUST gotten the first quest a year earlier... not even a year to be honest. I also didn't like it being tied to my facebook account which I rarely use. I DO like the fact that it's untethered... I'l probably get the Quest 3 and give the old quest to my nephew.

Quest 3 will have WAY better lenses than PSVR2 and will be wireless. Mixed reality will also be used more with Q3 if you're into that. Apples VR headset will start as a glorified tablet with them confirming all first party apps working natively on the headset. And yes, it will be 3k. If you don't mind spending the cash and want a really good PCVR headset, look a big screen beyond headset. They just bumped the FOV to 110 degrees. 

17 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Damn I just watched the Quest games showcase and it was better than the Sony one including their non-VR stuff :lol:

I'd hope so. VR is just a weird afterthought for Sony, that I'm surprised they're still kind of going after. Quest is pure VR, makes sense they'd be trying harder.

18 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'd hope so. VR is just a weird afterthought for Sony, that I'm surprised they're still kind of going after. Quest is pure VR, makes sense they'd be trying harder.

Fuck from their showcase it appeared that anything not live service focused is an afterthought :sick: I really don't know why they bothered with PSVR2 if they weren't going to put the bare minimum effort of releasing an Astrobot sequel with it. Hell Half-Life Alex or PC support would have went a long way PSVR2 is getting the attention Vita got post launch :guillotine:

This is exactly what everyone feared with PSVR2. However, it's still real early on so maybe they're cooking up some big stuff that won't be ready for a good long while yet. Or maybe they'll Sony Peripheral™ it and it was only ever fuel for a hype train. Spent and forgotten.

• Like 1

Neither. Wired headset in 2023 is laughable and Meta is a steaming pile of shit.

Forget about the privacy stuff don't really care about that, but needing to login/update every god damn time I use the headset is the most annoying thing in the world and much like the facebook interface it just gets more and more bloated and slow with every update. The actual hardware is great but fuck Meta, fuck DRM.

wwdc-2023-vision-pro-1.jpg?resize=1200,6
TECHCRUNCH.COM

After a reported seven years of development, Apple’s  AR headset is finally here. It’s been a minute since we’ve had a “one more thing” moment. The wisdom, efficacy and ultimate fate of the product have yet to be determined, but one thing we can finally say for certain: unlike the long-rumored Apple television and car, […]

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
wwdc-2023-vision-pro-1.jpg?resize=1200,6
TECHCRUNCH.COM

After a reported seven years of development, Apple’s  AR headset is finally here. It’s been a minute since we’ve had a “one more thing” moment. The wisdom, efficacy and ultimate fate of the product have yet to be determined, but one thing we can finally say for certain: unlike the long-rumored Apple television and car, […]

I had recently ordered the Rokid Max glasses and was worried that maybe I backed the wrong horse if Apple was going to come out with a killer product. 

With a price tag of $3500, that fear is laid to rest. :silly:

• Haha 1

$3,500 is a complete non-starter.

It looks cool, but like $1,000 cool.

I have a really hard time seeing how this becomes any sort of hit, even a niche one at that ridiculous price.

I've said that before about Apple products, but $3,500 really does put this in a category of product that just slams the door shut for like 99.9% of the population.

38 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I had recently ordered the Rokid Max glasses and was worried that maybe I backed the wrong horse if Apple was going to come out with a killer product. 

With a price tag of $3500, that fear is laid to rest. :silly:

Yeah I’d say you are safe! Like I told rev, I think this would have been a way more forward thinking tech release if they were releasing the rokid max instead. A primarily AR focused device that uses a VR design to pass through in is a short cut we’ve talked about before, but I expected there to be more dual focus for such a device. And then it’s not really designed for outside use.

It’s stepping into a lot of neat futuristic things but doesn’t seem to be realizing any particular goal. I’ll have to see more and I’m not dumb enough to ever write off Apple as far as reading what the market wants, but I was hoping for either something that pushes AR or VR forward and I’m not seeing this doing either.

Rokid pretty much is designed for one thing and it does it very well. You get 3D gaming just like this has and have a large amount of premade content for that with the 3DS library alone. And it’s full proper projection AR which is much better for that purpose. 

I am glad I guess that this will concentrate some on 3D gaming though. To push it along again. It’s so much fucking better on the x-real and soon to be rokid max than it ever was on any tv before. The depth and pop out you can achieve without straining your eyes is so much greater not to mention the gigantic screen. Oh, and it’s way way sharper than any other 3D.

I am beyond ready and here for 3D round 3 to hit over the next few years! Even if it’s just for a brief period again. 

This is an entirely different market segment than PSVR and Quest devices. Not aimed at consumers at all.

And of course, my little brother knows exactly what kind of a technology whore I and our other brother are. Ordered!IMG-6752

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is an entirely different market segment than PSVR and Quest devices. Not aimed at consumers at all.

And of course, my little brother knows exactly what kind of a technology whore I and our other brother are. Ordered!IMG-6752

Im just not super impressed so far for the market they are going for and for the consumer angle I think they are eventually aiming for. I feel like what they are showing is a few years off from where I had hoped Apple would start I guess. 

But at least it’s finally fucking out there and we can keep moving things along. I’ll get one of course but I was hoping to be super excited for it today and it’s more just like “oh, this might be another neat look at the future” 

Q3 is doing a lot of the same tricks with its color passthrough but I bet this thing is 500x more comfortable.

Also it’s funny how their VR headset is just AR done backwards when they have a AR headset in the works apparently. I hope that’s VR done backwards.

I think the big shift will be when they have a version that uses your phone or iPad for compute, which has been rumored for a few years too.

I’d love someone to combine the tech we have right now with these birdbath glasses (xreal/rokid) just with 6dof instead of 3dof and  combined with some serious software via your phone and bam you got real AR glasses out in the wild. These companies making these glasses now don’t have the chops to get the kind of software out needed.

Thats probably the best part about all this is just knowing someone like Apple is finally working on the software side solutions to help guide AR forward to real functionality.