PSVR2 or Meta Quest 3

Picked up a Quest 3 today to try out Asgard's Wrath 2. Already had a 2 but 3 seemed like a fair leap from 2, and it is. I don't think it's lighter, but it feels lighter because, I dunno, it's more balanced or something? Doesn't feel like it's hanging off my face as much anymore. Big ass lenses are nice as well. The color passthrough is a game changer. The black and white stuff was great for the time, but having full color makes it feel kinda like you're just looking into your room whenever doing MR or whatever they call it now. Just setting a display next to my computer monitor and being able to use it and it being in position real super-stable with no jitter is crazy. Another big change is being able to pull out the eye shroud to help fit glasses in more comfortably. I could always fit my frames into previous VR headsets, but they'd often kind of wedge into place against the sides, and I'd have to pull them out afterwards. With this one, they fit no problem and I don't have to worry about them clicking against the glass. (Which, thankfully, since they were wedged, I didn't have to very often before, either.)

Controllers feel similar when you hold them but have a much better design, the headstrap is still meh and I'll be replacing it (it's not bad, just... simple and lacking in fine adjustments) -- the IPD adjuster is much better, and the audio has been amazing. The hand tracking stuff also seems really responsive and snappy.

Unfortunately, passthrough still has that wibbly wobbly worbly effect on top of being somewhat low res or low bitrate. It's a massive improvement over Quest 2, but I think for me personally, the next big leap is having some sort of full resolution, stable passthrough to where you can barely tell you're looking through cameras. That'd be dope.

Haven't played too much VR in a while, so was only able to put about an hour into Asgard's Wrath 2 before having to take a break, which I am now on. It was very fun, seems very similar to the first game but with a much better budget and better executed ideas. Combat with those hornets actually got me moving pretty quickly to try and slice off the stinger. You can chuck your axe, God of War style, and a little auto-aim can help hit the stinger every once in a while, but try to hit it yourself is super fun and engaging, it doesn't have that "the enemies are being super gentle with you so you can just wave at them and win" feel a lot of melee VR games have. Throwing your axe and calling it back is also super fun, you basically just do what Kratos does and it feels great. It doesn't have as much of a powerful oomph when it hits things, but that's alright, it's super zippy and responsive.

I'll echo everyone's concerns about the OS. Would frankly like it if we could just jailbreak the piece of shit to put the Oculus exclusive apps on our PCs and use it all via Steam VR.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Picked up a Quest 3 today to try out Asgard's Wrath 2. Already had a 2 but 3 seemed like a fair leap from 2, and it is. I don't think it's lighter, but it feels lighter because, I dunno, it's more balanced or something? Doesn't feel like it's hanging off my face as much anymore. Big ass lenses are nice as well. The color passthrough is a game changer. The black and white stuff was great for the time, but having full color makes it feel kinda like you're just looking into your room whenever doing MR or whatever they call it now. Just setting a display next to my computer monitor and being able to use it and it being in position real super-stable with no jitter is crazy. Another big change is being able to pull out the eye shroud to help fit glasses in more comfortably. I could always fit my frames into previous VR headsets, but they'd often kind of wedge into place against the sides, and I'd have to pull them out afterwards. With this one, they fit no problem and I don't have to worry about them clicking against the glass. (Which, thankfully, since they were wedged, I didn't have to very often before, either.)

Controllers feel similar when you hold them but have a much better design, the headstrap is still meh and I'll be replacing it (it's not bad, just... simple and lacking in fine adjustments) -- the IPD adjuster is much better, and the audio has been amazing. The hand tracking stuff also seems really responsive and snappy.

Unfortunately, passthrough still has that wibbly wobbly worbly effect on top of being somewhat low res or low bitrate. It's a massive improvement over Quest 2, but I think for me personally, the next big leap is having some sort of full resolution, stable passthrough to where you can barely tell you're looking through cameras. That'd be dope.

Haven't played too much VR in a while, so was only able to put about an hour into Asgard's Wrath 2 before having to take a break, which I am now on. It was very fun, seems very similar to the first game but with a much better budget and better executed ideas. Combat with those hornets actually got me moving pretty quickly to try and slice off the stinger. You can chuck your axe, God of War style, and a little auto-aim can help hit the stinger every once in a while, but try to hit it yourself is super fun and engaging, it doesn't have that "the enemies are being super gentle with you so you can just wave at them and win" feel a lot of melee VR games have. Throwing your axe and calling it back is also super fun, you basically just do what Kratos does and it feels great. It doesn't have as much of a powerful oomph when it hits things, but that's alright, it's super zippy and responsive.

I'll echo everyone's concerns about the OS. Would frankly like it if we could just jailbreak the piece of shit to put the Oculus exclusive apps on our PCs and use it all via Steam VR.

Try watching a 3D movie in MR it rules! Did you get the version that comes with Meta+? Swarm, one of the games for this month, is fun as shit.

I don’t even know if any of yall have been paying attention to the latest pro rumors but if true it’s sounding better than what I expected. 60% raw performance gains, 2x RT capability, and possibly most importantly especially as someone who hates how fsr looks, their own custom AI based upscaling technology similar to dlss. If this pans out you are looking at hugeeee gains to IQ for Sony’s console.

I was thinking well that’s cool for everyone picking one up, for the two or so Sony exclusives a year they’ve been giving us (or if this picks up) and of course for @Phaseknox. But I just realized oh right psvr2. This could be amazing for that. 

Even just GT7 without any compromise, maybe even adding RT to the actual races, in VR, could be absolutely insane. I mean it already is but my goodness.

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The Pro will be purchased for GTA6. If it can run it at 60fps that would be nice. 

While it will certainly look better on pro, I wouldn’t count on a 60fps mode as they are referring to a gpu improvement but I dont think there will be much of a cpu improvement. Which is where I’d imagine most of the bottleneck in hitting 60fps on these consoles will be, considering the type of game it is and since otherwise you can always just scale res down and stuff. It will however at least not run at 12p upscaled to 120p with fsr2 or whatever.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What, are they switching back to nvidia? :p 

I wish! This is apparently their own custom tech, but Sony can be pretty good with that sometimes. 

Just now, stepee said:

While it will certainly look better on pro, I wouldn’t count on a 60fps mode as they are referring to a gpu improvement but I dont think there will be much of a cpu improvement, which is where I’d imagine most of the bottleneck in hitting 60fps on these consoles will be, considering the type of game it is and since otherwise you can always just scale res down and stuff. It will however at least not run at 12p upscaled to 120p with fsr2 or whatever.

I wish! This is apparently their own custom tech, but Sony can be pretty good with that sometimes. 

That's disappointing. Will the Pro even be worth it overall do you think?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

That's disappointing. Will the Pro even be worth it overall do you think?

If you like games that don’t look like they have random splotches of film grain everywhere, then yes! This shit is already running at insanely low internal resolutions and fsr isn’t even built for that but being used as the solution. I’ll be getting one because I’m afraid Sony games are going to start doing the same thing (and for VR!)

But I was specifically referring to GTA6, a huge open world game heavy on npc’s and physics etc. I expect it to be particularly taxing on the cpu. Baldurs Gate 3 is another cpu bound game for example that wouldn’t get to 60fps with a gpu upgrade.

But gpu bound games, think something like probably whatever ND is working on, could potentially use the power to present 60fps vs 30fps on the base consoles.

Of course, this is all just a rumor still so we will see. Who knows maybe they will have frame gen on a level of dlss3 which COULD improve the cpu by default then, and if they could even get a 10% boost to the cpu that would probably be enough to take 35fps to 70fps which would fall in the range that dlss3 looks good in.

Im definitely very excited to see it.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Lol, it's almost the "2x RT performance" that I find the most sus there given how AMD has been fairing with RT.

tbf 2x the current console RT performance isn’t saying much :P

Just figure it would be 8x if it was nvidia!

• Thanks 1

BTW, PSVR2 was on sale for Gamestop Pro members the other day. It was $100 off + an additional $25 off if you picked up in-store. I almost joined pro and bit, but there just honestly are not enough games to justify $475 + tax for it. If it worked with PC as well, I would've said "fuck yea" and finally replaced my aging Vive, but it just makes no sense for the price-point, IMO. (TBF, my wife is on me to pick a Christmas present and this would've been it because she's not accepting "I don't want anything" as an answer :p )

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, PSVR2 was on sale for Gamestop Pro members the other day. It was $100 off + an additional $25 off if you picked up in-store. I almost joined pro and bit, but there just honestly are not enough games to justify $475 + tax for it. If it worked with PC as well, I would've said "fuck yea" and finally replaced my aging Vive, but it just makes no sense for the price-point, IMO. (TBF, my wife is on me to pick a Christmas present and this would've been it because she's not accepting "I don't want anything" as an answer :p )

It’s such an amazing piece of tech it’s really a shame they can’t get the content to justify it out there. I hope somehow they have some stuff in store for next year because I love the oled hdr lenses and even the haptics on the headset and of course the potential of eye tracking which is awesome in Synapse.

It’s missing the kind of full view clarity the pancake Quest 3 lenses give but in some stuff especially horror the trade off is worth it imo. $475 would be crazy for the tech you get and all they need is a fucking driver for pc and then people would have 10x more reason to buy one.

I really like it and since I have so many damn games in general I have more than enough to play for now, but I can’t rightly recommend it to anyone over Q3 as it stands. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It’s such an amazing piece of tech it’s really a shame they can’t get the content to justify it out there. I hope somehow they have some stuff in store for next year because I love the oled hdr lenses and even the haptics on the headset and of course the potential of eye tracking which is awesome in Synapse.

It’s missing the kind of full view clarity the pancake Quest 3 lenses give but in some stuff especially horror the trade off is worth it imo. $475 would be crazy for the tech you get and all they need is a fucking driver for pc and then people would have 10x more reason to buy one.

I really like it and since I have so many damn games in general I have more than enough to play for now, but I can’t rightly recommend it to anyone over Q3 as it stands. 

I should mention $475 for the Horizon bundle, $425 for just the headset. 

I had really hoped that Sony would've released a PC driver for it since they finally did for the DualSense and have been getting more PC friendly. I blows my mind that they don't realize how many more of these they'd sell if it was SteamVR compatible. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

I don’t even know if any of yall have been paying attention to the latest pro rumors but if true it’s sounding better than what I expected. 60% raw performance gains, 2x RT capability, and possibly most importantly especially as someone who hates how fsr looks, their own custom AI based upscaling technology similar to dlss. If this pans out you are looking at hugeeee gains to IQ for Sony’s console.

I was thinking well that’s cool for everyone picking one up, for the two or so Sony exclusives a year they’ve been giving us (or if this picks up) and of course for @Phaseknox. But I just realized oh right psvr2. This could be amazing for that.

I didn’t realize that there were new PS5 Pro rumors, thanks for bringing them to my attention. Is it still expected to release holiday 2024?

Upscaling technologies, while working at very different levels in performance and quality, are pretty interchangeable as far as implementation is concerned. If one dude can just add them to whatever game they want in a few days, it shouldn’t be an issue for developers to hit the fsr > ps5pro upscaling button that Sony will surely have built into dev kits.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Upscaling technologies, while working at very different levels in performance and quality, are pretty interchangeable as far as implementation is concerned. If one dude can just add them to whatever game they want in a few days, it shouldn’t be an issue for developers to hit the fsr > ps5pro upscaling button that Sony will surely have built into dev kits.

Yeah Sony seems pretty adamant on forcing developers to use their features in it's games so this will be no different.

I know virtually nothing (pun intended) about VR headsets, but I've been thinking about getting a Quest 3.

Is the Meta store the only place you can get games for the Quest? I can't think that the games are compatible across devices, but it would seem to me like the games on Steam would be compatible with more than just that uber-expensive Steam VR headset.

• Like 1

@stepee

WWW.PATREON.COM

This is to help cover costs for reverse-engineering PSVR2 for PC

These guys are getting PSVR2 to work on PC. Currently it only works if you use an AMD GPU + an adapter. If you have an AMD CPU with iGPU + Mobo that supports iGPU you can use the iGPU for display and an nVidia card to render. Seems like it's a bit of a PITA but it's something at least.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepee

WWW.PATREON.COM

This is to help cover costs for reverse-engineering PSVR2 for PC

These guys are getting PSVR2 to work on PC. Currently it only works if you use an AMD GPU + an adapter. If you have an AMD CPU with iGPU + Mobo that supports iGPU you can use the iGPU for display and an nVidia card to render. Seems like it's a bit of a PITA but it's something at least.

Hopefully some day they get it so it’s a reasonable set up!

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I know virtually nothing (pun intended) about VR headsets, but I've been thinking about getting a Quest 3.

Is the Meta store the only place you can get games for the Quest? I can't think that the games are compatible across devices, but it would seem to me like the games on Steam would be compatible with more than just that uber-expensive Steam VR headset.

You can hook the Quest 3 up to a pc and then play anything on Steam etc. You can connect either wirelessly (Valve just released native wireless support for Quest via Steam Link even) or with a usb-c cable.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hopefully some day they get it so it’s a reasonable set up!

You can hook the Quest 3 up to a pc and then play anything on Steam etc. You can connect either wirelessly (Valve just released native wireless support for Quest via Steam Link even) or with a usb-c cable.

Friends who have Quest 3 have been mostly happy with the wireless capabilities it can offer, but still have to deal with some other issues being within the meta ecosystem.  I'm still waiting on my Nofio, but inevitably when the deckard gets announced/released I'm full sending it.

Also, going to just say that PSVR2 is going to be dead within a few months, doesn't matter regardless if it can be PC compatible.  Sales have not been good apparently.

For anyone interested in PSVR2 but understandably hates the price:

WWW.EBAY.COM

No other accessories are included. See pictures for more details. Condition : Used - item shows little signs of use. Item is tested and fully working.

It’s listed as used but allegedly comes with a working game code which makes me think open box or display models. It may be out of stock but the seller seems to be replenishing stock regularly. Supposedly they’ll accept a best offer price of $410-415.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

For anyone interested in PSVR2 but understandably hates the price:

WWW.EBAY.COM

No other accessories are included. See pictures for more details. Condition : Used - item shows little signs of use. Item is tested and fully working.

It’s listed as used but allegedly comes with a working game code which makes me think open box or display models. It may be out of stock but the seller seems to be replenishing stock regularly. Supposedly they’ll accept a best offer price of $410-415.

Received a reply from the seller: the game code for Horizon is valid