PSVR2 or Meta Quest 3

Quest 3 launches tomorrow and reviews are live! Summary: Fantastic upgrade and a killer VR headset with a nice look at the future of mixed reality, but not there yet for prime time mainstream usage and XR/MR/AR.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Three years after the Quest 2, the new headset is a big improvement. But it’s not the mixed reality winner Meta hoped.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The best VR headset just got a whole lot better.

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Quest 3 is not a game changer that will revolutionize the medium, but it is the best VR headset on the market.

WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

Meta's Quest 3 costs $200 more than the Quest 2. How much have performance, graphics, mixed-reality, and comfort improved and is it worth the price?

WWW.WIRED.COM

Adding mixed reality to virtual reality makes for a dramatically improved headset, but Meta's virtual worlds are still ghost towns.

Im quite aware the mixed reality component isn’t ready for prime time yet but Im still excited for the sneak preview. All this VR/AR stuff is in sneak preview mode still for me, so that’s fine. Sounds like a fantastic upgrade as a standalone vr headset though and should also be great for pc gaming. Face tracking and hdr are too huge misses though and it’s going to be annoying if it takes 3 years to have a good stand alone/pc combo headset that has those. 

Oh yeah no oled, that’s the other bummer. I think the price is still fair and likely subsidized still but yeah cmon the first Quest was oled for fucks sake! Cut corners elsewhere or just give it another $50 price bump, i need companies to stop pretending oled is just a nice little side bonus and not needed for otherwise premium electronics.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh yeah no oled, that’s the other bummer. I think the price is still fair and likely subsidized still but yeah cmon the first Quest was oled for fucks sake! Cut corners elsewhere or just give it another $50 price bump, i need companies to stop pretending oled is just a nice little side bonus and not needed for otherwise premium electronics.

OLED is a deal breaker for me. I don’t want to own a device with an inferior display. I think the Switch 2 will be the only device I will buy in the future that won’t have OLED.   

On 9/30/2023 at 11:43 AM, stepee said:

@Rev @Mr.Vic20 you guys see we get Meta+ for 6 months and Asgards Wrath 2 (when it comes out in december) with the 512gb model free? Nice! I miss hardware pack in bonus stuff.

Yep, pretty stoked about both though I don't usually play action games that much because of limited space in VR. Maybe it'll be more playable in MR. 

9 minutes ago, Brian said:

OLED is a deal breaker for me. I don’t want to own a device with an inferior display. I think the Switch 2 will be the only device I will buy in the future that won’t have OLED.   

Really sad to have to go backwards for probably like three years on switch 2 until we get an oled :( 

Whyyyy can’t they just premium model us right away. I will say Micro LED is pretty close and I’d consider that as an alternative myself after using it with my laptop. Like with the rig ally I still need oled bad, but on my laptop, it would be nice I think, but it’s fine, blacks still look black.

Pre-ordered, will be in tomorrow. The straps are coming in a day later for whatever reason. Purchasing elite strap at store since BoboVR doesn't want my money. Invest in Big screen Beyond if oled is you determining factor. Hell the varjo aero just dropped to under 1k, you could get that too. Buh bye! 

32 minutes ago, Stickey said:

Pre-ordered, will be in tomorrow. The straps are coming in a day later for whatever reason. Purchasing elite strap at store since BoboVR doesn't want my money. Invest in Big screen Beyond if oled is you determining factor. Hell the varjo aero just dropped to under 1k, you could get that too. Buh bye! 

Interesting about the strap as that was my theory for why my Quest 3 is now expected to ship tomorrow instead of being shipped already. My Q3 shows ready to ship and the strap says delayed. Wish they would have given me the option to just cancel the strap if they didn’t want to spend the extra on shipping two packages to get me the headset on time.

I don’t want to get any of the niche devices without an eco system I trust to last or are pc only, and I need a Quest for the exclusives and just my huge library collected since the oculus rift demo kit but I do have a psvr2 for oled so I can get games that benefit the most there on that.

Are you pretty hyped for this? 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Did they increase FOV on the Quest 3 compared to the 1 and 2?

Thankfully yes! Quest was 90 vertical fov and 96 horizontal, this is 96 vertical and 110 horizontal. PSVR2 is 110, no vertical specified so I assume both ways, but could be wrong. But the difference between that and Q2 was massive. Difference in lens design also should make it appear larger than Q2. I know on psvr2 I get sucked into the world way more than with Quest2, the fov was maybe the biggest jump for me, so I’m hoping it feels about the same.

I got an update and it looks like mine is on track for delivery today after all! Also exchanging my modem for a wifi6e one this afternoon so hopefully the wireless streaming works much better now with that.

• Thanks 1

The encounters demo is hugely impressive. There may not be much else to do in MR yet but the tech is a bit better than I thought it would be. It’s more convincing like holograms floating around irl than I’ve seen before. Made me understand how close AR and VR walk next to each other and hand off to each other in a way. Very cool stuff.

• Like 1

I tried some Pistol Whip as I have that on psvr2 as well to compare them and the oled black levels and hdr are definitely missing but I will say it looks a little sharper (though more aliased) than on psvr2, especially everything outside of the “sweet spot”. I’m pretty sure Quest3’s display even in the sweet spot could look much sharper if it wasn’t for having to render lower res due to the hardware itself. I have a feeling if you hook this up to pc it’s going to get crazy clear, I won’t get to that until tomorrow though.

The fov I feel is quite similar between the two so that alleviates my concern that would feel lacking here.  

I love love love the new instant room scanning that includes depth. This is such an improvement for ease of use. Between the new lenses and every game getting a 30% res boost, it all just looks so much more clear even if an app hasn’t been updated. Having the home screen be in passthrough mode is fantastic now.

Yes, you can read your phone screen inside of it. I’m going to need get a new cover at some point to remove that light leak spot on the bottom, though in passthrough it kinda works and lends to the illusion. 

Oh wow, yeah pc games are where you can really see how high the clarity can get and that was just with airlink, didn’t even even set up steamvr and virtual desktop up yet and it’s improved so much just on the image quality.

I think more so than the headset itself, switching to a wifi6e router seems to have completely eliminated the stutter that would plague me when tryin to do wireless streaming from pc. This really makes me happy as I have a library dating back since the start of the store and I can now finally play Alyx. The latency, the IQ, the lack of judder or stutter, it’s such a huge improvement over the last time I tried streaming using the Quest 2 via 5ghz.

Overall I’m pretty impressed with it and it’s probably worth the money (there is no way they are making money on it) but one thing that bothers me is the eco system.

Too many games seem to not be doing cloud saves still. I’ll have to see if there is anything I can do to save some of them, this already happened once with Quest1. If a console has BC and that’s a selling point I am expecting my saves to carry over along with them.

Also while I guess not technically the same store as the Quest one, it concerns me that some of my old games won’t download for me anymore off the Oculus store on pc. Makes me concerned about the library in the future. 

Headset is pretty fantastic, most games that have been updated are getting visuals close to the pc. Thrill of the fight and watching movies have been my favorite MR things so far. It also looks like you can get creative with virtual desktop forced MR that worked pretty well with blade and sorcery. 

• Hype 1

Well now, after trying out the quest 3 with my son yesterday (I mainly bought it for him) I am now picking up my own at the local Best Buy on the way home from work today! Its a pretty lovely piece of kit! Looking forward to playing co-op with the lad this weekend! :sun:

• Hype 2

26 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well now, after trying out the quest 3 with my son yesterday (I mainly bought it for him) I am now picking up my own at the local Best Buy on the way home from work today! Its a pretty lovely piece of kit! Looking forward to playing co-op with the lad this weekend! :sun:

Hi dad, don’t forget about your other son

:pratt:

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

Watching 3D movies in MR is pretty crazy and makes more sense than I thought it would. You just get this gigantic, idk, 500” or so 3d display floating in your living room, and since you can see its scale compared to the rest of your location, it really sells the illusion. Super cool stuff.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Watching 3D movies in MR is pretty crazy and makes more sense than I thought it would. You just get this gigantic, idk, 500” or so 3d display floating in your living room, and since you can see its scale compared to the rest of your location, it really sells the illusion. Super cool stuff.

Wow. I'm jealous.  😫 

Does anyone know the best way to start Flight Simulator on it btw? It’s not on Steam or  Oculus so I can’t launch direct from virtual desktop. I got it kinda working but it didn’t seem as perfect as everything else has been. There are so many different ways and menus you can get to it, I just don’t know the most efficient way and the controllers get all weird too. It’s the one thing that’s been wonky which sucks because it’s fucking insane otherwise

The Meta eco system continues to be a concern for me though. I missed Stormland, Insomniac’s attempt at an early robust VR open world sci fi game. Came out about 3 years ago. Oculus Published. You can’t buy it today. For some reason even Oculus published games are not giving me cross save. It’s completely random, I have like 30% or so of my saves it seems? I don’t trust the ecosystem at all at this point, which isn’t great. 

• 2 months later...

I’ll just continue using this thread for VR stuff since it covers both current major platforms.

Updating to post the Asgard’s Wrath 2 scores though as a VR game it won’t get many reviews. But also just wanted tk further hammer home how fucking insane this year has been:

Game Information

Game Title: Asgard's Wrath 2

Platforms:

• Meta Quest (Dec 15, 2023)

Trailer:

Publisher: Oculus Studios

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 93 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 9 / 10

Asgard’s Wrath 2 is a near perfect VR RPG. Between its compelling story, great gameplay mechanics and scope it’s a must play for all VR Meta Quest owners. With just a few tweaks to the accessibility, it could have been perfect.

Daily Mirror - Aaron Potter - 5 / 5

It isn’t lost on me, though, that Asgard’s Wrath 2 is very much the exception to the rule as opposed to the norm. VR games with this much budget and creativity behind them almost barely ever come around; hence why – despite an overwhelming amount of stuff to do and the relatively complex menus and control scheme needed to back it up – the game’s scope ends up working for it rather than against it. If you’re seeking a Skyrim-level RPG primed to keep you busy in VR, look no further than Asgard’s Wrath 2.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4.5 / 5

An epic game with tons of content.

GGRecon - Lloyd Coombes - 5 / 5

Asgard's Wrath 2 is the most impressive showcase for any VR headset I've seen and is a game I'm desperate to get back to even after writing this review.

Packed full of secrets, layered with systems, and likely to get even better over time with new in-game events, it's a huge RPG that's worth exploring.

Game Rant - Anthony Taormina - 4.5 / 5

Asgard's Wrath 2 is the killer app that Meta Quest 3 early adopters have been waiting for, an expansive VR experience with a stunning amount of depth.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Asgard's Wrath 2 takes full advantage of the technology on offer, and is one of the best VR titles I've ever had the joy of playing.

IGN - Travis Northup - 10 / 10

Asgard’s Wrath 2 is an open-world action RPG that sets a new gold standard for VR – and competes with the best anywhere.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9 / 10

Asgard’s Wrath 2 is an epic action RPG, worthy of being Meta’s must-have game.  It looks and runs great, plays fantastically, and has more high-quality content than most RPGs I’ve played before.

metacritic actually has a few more reviews (11) and it’s at a 94.

Between this, the releases themselves of Q3 and psvr2, RE Village and 4 VR, GT7, Horizon, Synapse, Assassins Creed Nexus, Saints and Sinners 2, and more, this has also been probably the best year for VR since 2017 or so.

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ve kind of decided that if I land on a racing sim that really clicks with me that supports VR I’m getting a Quest 3. It’s cheaper than updating my setup and getting some ultra wide curved monitor or triple screens and a new cockpit rig. 

What about GT7 in the PS5 vr? I hear it's insanely good.