PSVR2 or Meta Quest 3

Just now, Stickey said:

I heard that game worked really well. 

Yeah I heard the same and even while I played the (fantastic) game I was thinking to myself what a no brainer for VR it is due to the way it’s designed with you as a mostly forward facing tank.

4 hours ago, Stickey said:

Also, PCVR just got 1,000's of new titles in one day with UEVR mod that allow VR support for ALL Unreal Engine 4 and 5 games. 

WWW.UPLOADVR.COM

Praydog's Universal Unreal Engine VR Mod (UEVR) injects VR support into almost any PC game made with Unreal Engine, and it's free.

Stray in VR now? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stickey said:

Soooo, the company that makes the virtual link adapter that allow PSVR2 to hook up to pc is discontinuing them. Microsoft is also sunsetting windows mixed reality in the next couple of years. Quest 3 is the way to go right now unless you want to spend 1000's.

Yea, saw that earlier, BUT, that adapter was $350… just buy a Quest 2 for 30% less money and fiddle with that and have less of a headache getting it to work on PC :p 

Sony should release an official driver + adapter for like $100-150 but they won’t because Sony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ok so I decided … I bought a Quest 3. It should arrive today. 

If you can, get a upgraded headstrap. BoboVR has really good alternatives and they just released the elite strap version. 

46 minutes ago, Stickey said:

If you can, get a upgraded headstrap. BoboVR has really good alternatives and they just released the elite strap version. 

yeah I was gonna try it stick first and if it wasn’t comfortable look at another strap. Maybe one with a supplemental battery to have longer play sessions. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah I was gonna try it stick first and if it wasn’t comfortable look at another strap. Maybe one with a supplemental battery to have longer play sessions. 

I got the elite strap originally from Meta but upgraded that to the bobo M3 pro recently which at $50 right now I believe is the same price or even cheaper and includes a supplemental battery (also helps balance the headset) and it’s sooo much better. You can even remove the facial interface with it if you want since it holds it secure right in front of your face and then nothing even really touches your face and it is more immersive for MR. I highly recommend it. 

WWW.BOBOVR.COM

Reduce facial pressure: It adopts a suspended design and supports multi-point adjustment, which evenly transfers the original facial pressure of the host to the head. If you want, you can even...

Only down side is expect 2-3 weeks for delivery so you’d want to probably order it soonish to relieve your forehead. 

I personally use the meta elite strap and strap an external battery on the back. Allows more time in VR without a battery swap, though the Bobo system is really nice with hot swappable batteries. Better facial pads should be coming out from VR Cover in a few weeks too. 

It’s been pretty neat so far. First VR experience. The hand tracking is pretty neat. Even if there’s no physical feedback Without holding onto the controllers, the optical feedback is enough to make it feel immersive and responsive. 

It really transforms racing sims too vs a single screen setup. The FOV and perspective shift even changes how the tracks feel to drive on. The sense of speed doesn’t feel that much greater, but Le Mans circ de la Sarthe for example feels like a shorter track in VR. lol based on my lap times I can tell it is not shorter though. 

I played just a bit of Asgard’s Wrath II. Just moving around is taking a bit to get used to. 

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

Getting your VR legs can take some time. I suggest you take the headset off immediately if you feel nauseas. A fan always helps too. One thing I do when "walking" is I bend my knees like im walking. I have no idea if I do this because im bored, or it helps with the feeling of motion sickness. Also look into comfort settings to ease your way into some games. Half Life Alyx does a great job with this. 

23 hours ago, Stickey said:

Getting your VR legs can take some time. I suggest you take the headset off immediately if you feel nauseas. A fan always helps too. One thing I do when "walking" is I bend my knees like im walking. I have no idea if I do this because im bored, or it helps with the feeling of motion sickness. Also look into comfort settings to ease your way into some games. Half Life Alyx does a great job with this. 

I didn’t even think about nausea. Forgot it was even possible. Haven’t felt anything yet. Playing Asgards Wrath is just not what I’m used to where my entire body is like the right analog stick, while the left analog stick moves me forward. The actual right analog stick is for sharper 90 and 180 degree turns. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having a hard time figuring out why the Vision Pro is $3500 outside of two factors: 

First being that there’s, of course, the good’ol “Apple Tax”.

Second is that Apple more-or-less never subsidizes hardware prices in favor of moving more units to increase (and make it back via) software sales on their storefront.

It’s certainly more advanced than the Quest 3, but… $3000 more advanced seems kind of insane. I’d certainly like to try one but I just can’t imagine this being worth anywhere near the msrp.

It’s a bit frustrating that Disney and others are releasing 3D + HFR versions of movies exclusively for the Vision Pro. I’m one of the few who enjoyed 3D TVs like my Panny Plasma (non-active 3D TVs were blurry trash).

• True 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m having a hard time figuring out why the Vision Pro is $3500 outside of two factors: 

First being that there’s, of course, the good’ol “Apple Tax”.

Second is that Apple more-or-less never subsidizes hardware prices in favor of moving more units to increase (and make it back via) software sales on their storefront.

based on the previews and my experience with the Quest 3, I could see it. From only manufacturing standpoint I could see where people might be like “why does it cost $3500”. I guess it depends on how much apple is trying to recoup. The R&D cost on the hardware and software would likely still mean that at $3500, if the Vision fails they’ll still take a loss. So they price for the bigger enthusiasts. The kind that buy a new phone and watch every year and have everything else Mac that Apple makes too. 

I wonder what a non-pro version will have and cost. I’m guess not less than $1500-2000

The AVP will be the best VR headset you can buy in terms of optics and horse power. Software is going to be slow/lacking for a couple years. I rember seeing something like Apple devices don't really shine till the 4th Gen. VR devices arnt cheap, and Apple certainly isn't cheaping out. 

38 minutes ago, Stickey said:

The AVP will be the best VR headset you can buy in terms of optics and horse power. Software is going to be slow/lacking for a couple years. I rember seeing something like Apple devices don't really shine till the 4th Gen. VR devices arnt cheap, and Apple certainly isn't cheaping out. 

So in about 10-15 years it will be amazing!

• Like 1

My biggest issue is just it not having controllers. An AR focused device should definitely function without controllers, but an AR focused device should also not be a heavy VR headset. It has good internals provided by Apple’s m series chips and an amazing display, but it seems to answer absolutely nothing that either AR or VR need to move forward. 

But a super premium Apple VR competitor to Quest I could have gotten behind. But Apple’s weird allergy to controllers and gaming strikes again so I wasn’t able to talk myself into preordering it. Maybe this series line will be a great AR device in the future, I actually really want that from Apple, but I think whatever really takes off there will barely even resemble this. And if they want to go VR or do hybrid, unless they think they can go full holodeck in the next few years they need to get over whatever stops them from making controllers. You need to be able to move around spaces.

37 minutes ago, stepee said:

My biggest issue is just it not having controllers. An AR focused device should definitely function without controllers, but an AR focused device should also not be a heavy VR headset. It has good internals provided by Apple’s m series chips and an amazing display, but it seems to answer absolutely nothing that either AR or VR need to move forward. 

But a super premium Apple VR competitor to Quest I could have gotten behind. But Apple’s weird allergy to controllers and gaming strikes again so I wasn’t able to talk myself into preordering it. Maybe this series line will be a great AR device in the future, I actually really want that from Apple, but I think whatever really takes off there will barely even resemble this. And if they want to go VR or do hybrid, unless they think they can go full holodeck in the next few years they need to get over whatever stops them from making controllers. You need to be able to move around spaces.

It's called spacial computing. The device will grow, Apple will get tons of feedback and try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to analog input. Meta has to compete with Apple, just like Samsung, Google and more. The only market Meta dominates in VR is gaming right now, and sadly Valve could easily snatch that away. 

37 minutes ago, Stickey said:

It's called spacial computing. The device will grow, Apple will get tons of feedback and try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to analog input. Meta has to compete with Apple, just like Samsung, Google and more. The only market Meta dominates in VR is gaming right now, and sadly Valve could easily snatch that away. 

I know what it’s trying to be. But the end game sure as hell isn’t what this is now, and what this offers now, isn’t particularly exciting to me beyond the display itself.

Also at the very least as an AR focused device that has a freakin puck attachment for the internals I would have expected the less invasive strap they always show it with to actually work without being painful. But at the end of the day it’s just another helmet once you put the proper strap on.

I know where Apple is heading but after all these years I expected something more like what the iphone was for cell phones, but this feels more like if the iphone was a blackberry with a better display. 

For tech releasing this year I find what tcl and X-real are cooking more interesting.

Speaking of this kind of thing - I tried The Cabin MR mode yesterday and it’s honestly fucking terrifying to me lol. The passthrough certainly isn’t perfect on Quest 3 but it’s good enough that once zombies start walking into your actual living room it gives you some real THIS SHOULD NOT BE THERE AND ITS FRIGHTENING vibes.

I also quite enjoyed what I’ve played of the VR mode as well.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

22 hours ago, stepee said:

I know where Apple is heading but after all these years I expected something more like what the iphone was for cell phones, but this feels more like if the iphone was a blackberry with a better display. 

I actually think this looks a lot like the iPhone launch. The iPhone wasn't the most incredible technological advance on paper. At the time of its announcement, there were hordes of people pointing out how it wasn't that much better, how the keyboard of the blackberry was really important, that touch screens have been around for a while etc. What the iPhone did is the thing that's hard for people used to looking at tech papers to quickly grasp. They implement a *vastly* better interface for tech that had been floating around for quite some time.

That's exactly what Apple Vision Pro is pushing. Its hardware is nice, but that's not really the important thing nor the thing they're highlighting. They're highlighting the interface and how the hardware is selected to serve it.

Now, it's entirely possible that Apple won't succeed this time. We're all really just going to have to play with it more. And the high price may limit its impact (though the iPhone was also considered too high priced when it released). But the strategy here looks very similar to me and I think it's too early to tell.

53 minutes ago, legend said:

I actually think this looks a lot like the iPhone launch. The iPhone wasn't the most incredible technological advance on paper. At the time of its announcement, there were hordes of people pointing out how it wasn't that much better, how the keyboard of the blackberry was really important, that touch screens have been around for a while etc. What the iPhone did is the thing that's hard for people used to looking at tech papers to quickly grasp. They implement a *vastly* better interface for tech that had been floating around for quite some time.

That's exactly what Apple Vision Pro is pushing. Its hardware is nice, but that's not really the important thing nor the thing they're highlighting. They're highlighting the interface and how the hardware is selected to serve it.

Now, it's entirely possible that Apple won't succeed this time. We're all really just going to have to play with it more. And the high price may limit its impact (though the iPhone was also considered too high priced when it released). But the strategy here looks very similar to me and I think it's too early to tell.

I just remember seeing the iphone for the first time and I instantly “got” it and was pretty blown away by it. It felt like a moment to me. Maybe other people reacted differently but to me it was obviously heading in the right direction. And importantly, as a product, already an exciting proposition. 

I think what’s different this time for me is this sort of thing is further away from being a mass appeal functional product than cell phones were at the time (obviously). So, without it making any big push on a technological level, the actual product, as a consumer with money to burn on such first generation tech, I’m let down.

I’m not speaking on it as far as if Apple will succeed or not. I’m speaking on it as someone who was looking to buy it based on the rumors until it was revealed. So I’m just saying the reasons why as a prosumer, I will be opting out.

I think Apple will succeed in this space actually, but the actual physical thing will be so different when it becomes a mass appeal product. This product releasing next month as it exists is just kinda meh to me, especially for the price. I’d be willing to drop that kind of dough on something futuristic but not to watch 3D movies through a VR headset when actual AR glasses that can do that exist and I own them already.

I am glad they finally entered the arena because as you’ve say, they will revolutionize the actual way we interact with AR apps on an interface level, which is important and what all these companies need to figure out next. 

I can see where they are going, I had just hoped they would be 3-4 years or so ahead of where they are so I’m disappointed the wait will be longer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I just remember seeing the iphone for the first time and I instantly “got” it and was pretty blown away by it. It felt like a moment to me. Maybe other people reacted differently but to me it was obviously heading in the right direction. And importantly, as a product, already an exciting proposition. 

I think what’s different this time for me is this sort of thing is further away from being a mass appeal functional product than cell phones were at the time (obviously). So, without it making any big push on a technological level, the actual product, as a consumer with money to burn on such first generation tech, I’m let down.

I’m not speaking on it as far as if Apple will succeed or not. I’m speaking on it as someone who was looking to buy it based on the rumors until it was revealed. So I’m just saying the reasons why as a prosumer, I will be opting out.

I think Apple will succeed in this space actually, but the actual physical thing will be so different when it becomes a mass appeal product. This product releasing next month as it exists is just kinda meh to me, especially for the price. I’d be willing to drop that kind of dough on something futuristic but not to watch 3D movies through a VR headset when actual AR glasses that can do that exist and I own them already.

I am glad they finally entered the arena because as you’ve say, they will revolutionize the actual way we interact with AR apps on an interface level, which is important and what all these companies need to figure out next. 

I can see where they are going, I had just hoped they would be 3-4 years or so ahead of where they are so I’m disappointed the wait will be longer.

I was instantly sold on the iPhone too, but many of the various forums were filled with nay-sayers who didn't get it. It was exhausting. But I do think you're right that this still won't quite be there for mass appeal in terms of form factor whereas the form factor for the iPhone was fine (we're still using light rounded rectangles!). Getting people to put something on their face is a hard sell in comparison, and it's still too heavy and thick -- or at least I suspect it is -- even if they do slam dunk the interface. But I do think they have a chance at showing us what the future will be.

Or, they fuck it up :p If not, I will probably get one sometime this year.

17 minutes ago, legend said:

I was instantly sold on the iPhone too, but many of the various forums were filled with nay-sayers who didn't get it. It was exhausting. But I do think you're right that this still won't quite be there for mass appeal in terms of form factor whereas the form factor for the iPhone was fine (we're still using light rounded rectangles!). Getting people to put something on their face is a hard sell in comparison, and it's still too heavy and thick -- or at least I suspect it is -- even if they do slam dunk the interface. But I do think they have a chance at showing us what the future will be.

Or, they fuck it up :p If not, I will probably get one sometime this year.

For me, it just came down to when thinking of what I would use it for, I couldn’t really think of anything. For watching content on a large display/3D content, I rather wear lightweight glasses I have than a supposedly heavy headset. It’s not designed to go out and about walking around with it so any AR projecting utility is out. I think it’s best current use case is for work, but I don’t work any longer sooo 

Id love to see the display and I was hoping for some usage I could see for myself, but I just couldn’t! 

And yeah I think that is a big difference here, the iPhone is still pretty much the same damn thing in a lot of ways! I don’t think in ten years people will be wearing anything that resembles this big bulky thing. They may well be rocking the Vision 10, but it won’t look like this. I just think for something you will eventually wear all day, it’s a human body limitation to do so.

8 hours ago, legend said:

I think the main issue is the price. The OG iPhone was priced higher but not insanely dissimilar to competitors flagships ($499, or ~$700 in today’s post-pandemic inflation money) when it launched. While there were cheap $200-300 phones at the time, the iPhone wasn’t competing with them, it was competing with the N-Series Nokias (N95 was $600-700) and high end Blackberry phones (the 8800 was $400). You also need to keep in mind that in 2007 all the cell phone carriers would subsidize the hell out of phones via contracts to where I recall the iPhone being like $300ish with a 3 year contract shortly (6-ish months) after launch (and the 8800 was priced down similarly with a contract iirc). At launch, I think it may have been the $499 + contract, but it’s still not all too comparable to the price leap on the Vision Pro when compared to its competitors. I’m expecting “non-Pro” versions to come in a good amount cheaper with the Pro being used as a “hype” piece for the people that don’t want to (or can’t) drop $3500 on what is essentially a toy.