PSVR2 or Meta Quest 3

21 hours ago, darkness35 said:

Also, going to just say that PSVR2 is going to be dead within a few months, doesn't matter regardless if it can be PC compatible

you don’t think getting an update to be PC compatible would help PSVR2 to survive? I think it could do alright, so long as software compatibility is there. On the downside it doesn’t have much onboard RAM, but it does have eye tracking and a higher per eye resolution than the Quest 3. It’s also wired bs wireless. So it’s pretty comparable. 

10 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

you don’t think getting an update to be PC compatible would help PSVR2 to survive? I think it could do alright, so long as software compatibility is there. On the downside it doesn’t have much onboard RAM, but it does have eye tracking and a higher per eye resolution than the Quest 3. It’s also wired bs wireless. So it’s pretty comparable. 

Does the RAM really matter? PSVR2 is not doing the rendering while Quest 3 is. I think the onboard RAM is just to help with the eye tracking, no?

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

maybe. It might be needed for rendering on the PSVR2 also. One way to find out. Sony should make it PC compatible so it can be tested properly. lol 

I think it’s just used for the eye tracking. The Valve Index doesn’t seem to have any onboard ram.

But, yea, Sony should release a driver for PC. Sony fans claim that Sony isn’t making money on the hardware so there’s no incentive for Sony to make it PC compatible… but… like… they can release the games on PC too :p 

• True 1

7 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The Meta Quest headsets have onboard RAM due to the fact that it can be used standalone without connecting to SteamVR/PC.   If I recall, The PSVR2 requires to still have a PS5 connected in order to play compatible VR games, which also leaves it trapped in its ecosystem. At least the Quest 3 has games that are specifically developed/utilized to play on the HMD, although you run the risk of being trapped within the Meta ecosystem, unlike games (again, not sure) that are cross-compatible on Steam/SteamVR

Yes, I agree that there are some features that can be implemented and utilized only if SteamVR allows the compatibility to do so (I can't speak so far if it has).  My personal take, is that you'd only want a PSVR2 just so you can use it wirelessly via SteamVR for something like VRChat and full body compatibility. I don't know how much scuff that would result in, but the pricetag and hassle to make it compatible may not be worth the effort.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it’s just used for the eye tracking. The Valve Index doesn’t seem to have any onboard ram.

But, yea, Sony should release a driver for PC. Sony fans claim that Sony isn’t making money on the hardware so there’s no incentive for Sony to make it PC compatible… but… like… they can release the games on PC too :p 

Let's be blunt here, Sony has been fucking up on so many levels that their stubbornness is going to be their downfall.

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Sony aims to solve the challenge of immersive play in space-constrained environments.

Sony has submitted patents that show plans for two types of foot-operated controllers for Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) games and other immersive applications. Several drawings in the patent show these movement-reading peripherals - one using a ball (or two), and the second using a touch-sensitive surface, both are designed to be operated by the user's feet.

The one or two ball-operated devices seem to be meant for simple movement. Meanwhile, the touch-sensitive pads with proximity-sensing capabilities can provide more complex controls. According to the patent, both types of controllers may have a built-in CPU, and memory, to calculate and translate input movement to the user's game or application.

2 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I forgot the PSVR2 was a thing if I’m being honest. I wouldn’t mind trying it out. I still have the old one packed away in a drawer but just look at all the wires and think nah not today.

I gave my PSVR1 away to my nephew. The amount of things needed to be hooked up to get that thing working was laughable. 

The new one is much better but isn't selling well at all. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I gave my PSVR1 away to my nephew. The amount of things needed to be hooked up to get that thing working was laughable. 

The new one is much better but isn't selling well at all. 

I ended up looking at my psvr stuff shortly after posting and it seems like one of my move controllers is dead. Not holding any charge. I thought maybe I’d hook everything up but I’ll charge the controllers first. Think I’ll just put everything back in the drawer haha.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I forgot the PSVR2 was a thing if I’m being honest. I wouldn’t mind trying it out. I still have the old one packed away in a drawer but just look at all the wires and think nah not today.

It really is a pain in the ass to set-up, especially considering the original release doesn’t support HDR passthrough via the HDMI box, so if you don’t have the newer model you have to disconnect and reconnect it every time you want to play VR or regular PS4 games (unless you’re on a 1080p tv)

• True 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:11 PM, darkness35 said:

My personal take, is that you'd only want a PSVR2 just so you can use it wirelessly via SteamVR for something like VRChat and full body compatibility.

I’m confused by this: firstly the PSVR2 is not wireless, and secondly if it were compatible with PC via an actual driver (or if the fan made one becomes better ironed out) it would work just as well as any other non-Meta VR headset on PC, ie: HTC Vive, Valve Index.

The Quest series is a different bracket of headset as it’s an AIO entry level experience (and it’s extremely good at what it does). Something like the Valve Index is for people who want their high-end PC to power their games. The Quest series does have the ability to connect to a PC, but, unless something changed from last I looked (and it’s very possible that it has!), it’s not overly reliable and there’s some hoops that you have to jump through (to use it with your PC).

What Sony has created with the PSVR2 is extremely comparable to the Index and is better in several aspects. If it had true/easy PC compatibility it would undoubtedly boost sales considerably as the Index costs $1k and still requires base stations.

WWW.BOBOVR.COM

Reduce facial pressure: It adopts a suspended design and supports multi-point adjustment, which evenly transfers the original facial pressure of the host to the head. If you want, you can even...

I just got this and set it up and it’s fantastic. I had the Meta official elite strap and I should have just went straight to this. It makes it much more comfortable and removes all forehead strain. You can even remove the facial interface completely and get closer fov/more immersive MR due to the way it holds it in front of you, and pretty much having nothing touching your face. 

And as a bonus you get extra battery life with the battery pack which acts as an anchor to help balance the fit. Q3 was already a big comfort step up over the Q2 so I almost didn’t bother but I’m glad I did it’s just so much even nicer to wear now. 

I think the device looks worse and it looks bulkier with it attached is the only negative, but that’s superficial when actual use is only a positive upgrade. It’s a great deal at $50 imo. It ships from China though, I ordered it over 3 weeks ago and just got it yesterday, which in this case, ended up being really cool timing, but you’ll have to be patient.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I always thought them as gentle lovers tbh

Actually I don’t know it’s possible, or maybe it just depends on the bear. But yeah I picked it up on the psn sale to give it a whirl and it’s probably the best graphics in VR. They improved the rendering over Village, likely using foveated rendering, to make it surprisingly crisp while retaining the detail of the ps5 version performance mode for 60fps reprojected to 120fps. And then it plays just like the Quest 2 version which was already great. The only downside is the kick is still awkwardly a shift to third person and the cinemas are sadly still played out as a flat screen movie that isn’t even 3D.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Actually I don’t know it’s possible, or maybe it just depends on the bear. But yeah I picked it up on the psn sale to give it a whirl and it’s probably the best graphics in VR. They improved the rendering over Village, likely using foveated rendering, to make it surprisingly crisp while retaining the detail of the ps5 version performance mode for 60fps reprojected to 120fps. And then it plays just like the Quest 2 version which was already great. The only downside is the kick is still awkwardly a shift to third person and the cinemas are sadly still played out as a flat screen movie that isn’t even 3D.

Does it increase the horror aspect or does it feel arcade-actiony like the original? 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Does it increase the horror aspect or does it feel arcade-actiony like the original? 

Honestly I’d say not that much. It still feels very arcadey. It’s a little more intense especially because the reloading physically adds to that, but I wouldn’t say it makes it scarier per se in the way it does for RE7/Village.

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Honestly I’d say not that much. It still feels very arcadey. It’s a little more intense especially because the reloading physically adds to that, but I wouldn’t say it makes it scarier per se in the way it does for RE7/Village.

My wife surprised me with a PSVR2 for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out what games to get. She heard me mentioning that eBay listing I found via Reddit that I posted the other day in here to a friend and that's apparently where she got it from. :p 

RE4 Remake seemed like the horror element get upped a lot compared to the original and I'm just not a fan of horror games so I guess I'll pass on that.

I already have Call of the Mountain since it was the bundle. Have you played Synapse? I'm holding off on GT7 since I have PS+ Premium and I'm hoping it finally drops on there soon. Star Wars Tales from the Galaxies Edge is the only other one I'm thinking of but I played the demo and am unsure about it. Anything else you'd recommend?

Now I just gotta hope that modder gets PSVR2 working on PC so I can get some real use out of this :lol:

52 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My wife surprised me with a PSVR2 for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out what games to get. She heard me mentioning that eBay listing I found via Reddit that I posted the other day in here to a friend and that's apparently where she got it from. :p 

RE4 Remake seemed like the horror element get upped a lot compared to the original and I'm just not a fan of horror games so I guess I'll pass on that.

I already have Call of the Mountain since it was the bundle. Have you played Synapse? I'm holding off on GT7 since I have PS+ Premium and I'm hoping it finally drops on there soon. Star Wars Tales from the Galaxies Edge is the only other one I'm thinking of but I played the demo and am unsure about it. Anything else you'd recommend?

Now I just gotta hope that modder gets PSVR2 working on PC so I can get some real use out of this :lol:

Swordsman VR might be good too

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That would be a "no" for me then :p 

Village is pretty damn scary. Switchback is one of my favorites and real scary at parts. It’s the only games that uses eye tracking for scares. It’s been improved a lot since launch and I think quite excellent now. 

Fake edit: Oh you don’t want scary? I really think you’d be fine with RE4 Remake - there is a demo you can try though.

Synapse is probably my favorite besides GT7. It’s very good. Im not normally a rogue lite fan but it works better in VR for me and this one you get significant upgrades to keep and it’s not overly difficult. It’s the best implementation of a cover system in VR imo and it also uses the eye tracking for gameplay usage to create an experience you can really only get on psvr2. The reloading mechanic is also great. Everything just feels really good in it and it makes you feel powerful.

C-smash VRS (John from DF’s vr pick of the year!) is a lot of fun and has a demo.

I don’t know if you have a Quest or not (and i’m not too familiar with pc releases) but there’s tons of great stuff if you don’t already have it like Moss 1/2, Tetris Effect, Vacation Simulator, Rez, Pistol Whip, etc.

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Village is pretty damn scary. Switchback is one of my favorites and real scary at parts. It’s the only games that uses eye tracking for scares. It’s been improved a lot since launch and I think quite excellent now. 

Fake edit: Oh you don’t want scary? I really think you’d be fine with RE4 Remake - there is a demo you can try though.

Yea, looking for “not scary” as I have zero tolerance for that in VR, and only a small amount of tolerance in non-VR (the hospital and apartment levels in TLOU2 are above my typical limit :p ). I don’t think RE4’s demo has VR available, does it?

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Synapse is probably my favorite besides GT7. It’s very good. Im not normally a rogue lite fan but it works better in VR for me and this one you get significant upgrades to keep and it’s not overly difficult. It’s the best implementation of a cover system in VR imo and it also uses the eye tracking for gameplay usage to create an experience you can really only get on psvr2. The reloading mechanic is also great. Everything just feels really good in it and it makes you feel powerful.

C-smash VRS (John from DF’s vr pick of the year!) is a lot of fun and has a demo.

I don’t know if you have a Quest or not (and i’m not too familiar with pc releases) but there’s tons of great stuff if you don’t already have it like Moss 1/2, Tetris Effect, Vacation Simulator, Rez, Pistol Whip, etc.

I have an OG Vive for my PC.
The tough thing with PSVR2 has been figuring out what games are compatible with it vs only with the OG PSVR. 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, looking for “not scary” as I have zero tolerance for that in VR, and only a small amount of tolerance in non-VR (the hospital and apartment levels in TLOU2 are above my typical limit :p ). I don’t think RE4’s demo has VR available, does it?

I have an OG Vive for my PC.
The tough thing with PSVR2 has been figuring out what games are compatible with it vs only with the OG PSVR. 

There is specifically a vr demo for it!

• Shocked 1

Soooo, the company that makes the virtual link adapter that allow PSVR2 to hook up to pc is discontinuing them. Microsoft is also sunsetting windows mixed reality in the next couple of years. Quest 3 is the way to go right now unless you want to spend 1000's.