The Witcher: Season 3 (Volume 1 - June 29, Volume 2 - July 27) - Season 3 Volume 2 Official Trailer

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I also watched the prequel mini-series and thought it was "fine".

I just don't particularly hold any of the live-action adaptations of The Witcher universe in particularly high regard, especially in comparison to the games.

I think part of what makes the show enjoyable (and part of why it's hard to see it working with anyone else) is that Cavill has actually played and liked the games. I know he's big about the books but he's clearly drawing inspiration from the games too, like how it's extremely obvious he's copying the English voice actor for Geralt from the game for how he does Geralt's voice. 

i’m having a hard time finding the desire to watch the new season. i don’t care about deviating from the book, but cavill leaving is just awful. he’s the perfect geralt and his departure next season has just killed my interest. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

i’m having a hard time finding the desire to watch the new season. i don’t care about deviating from the book, but cavill leaving is just awful. he’s the perfect geralt and his departure next season has just killed my interest. 

True. I'm still watching it, but I'm not bouncing off the walls with anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
gk2YLTB39fEyWAGDPGeK6N-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Die-hard Witcher fans aren't happy with a lot of the changes Netflix has made to Andrzej Sapkowski's stories.

When I read the producer's "justifications", I couldn't have rolled my eyes any harder if I tried.

Yeah - Americans have trouble with "complicated" plots which is why Game of Thrones was  such a huge failu...wait a minute!

It kind of seems like everyone involved in this is a piece of work. With absolutely no basis other than vibes I feel like Cavill is not the saint the internet wants him to be, and is probably a difficult personality.

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
gk2YLTB39fEyWAGDPGeK6N-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Die-hard Witcher fans aren't happy with a lot of the changes Netflix has made to Andrzej Sapkowski's stories.

I liked the first two seasons but I really don't care about this one knowing Cavill is out after this... they can just cancel it. 

13 hours ago, Moa said:

With absolutely no basis other than vibes I feel like Cavill is not the saint the internet wants him to be, and is probably a difficult personality.

There were some unsubstantiated reports that Cavill's behavior and attitude towards women staff members on the production team was disdainful or dismissive, but there was never any "real" evidence presented.

Solid finale to a solid season of this B-tier fun, campy but well-executed dark medieval fantasy series. Henry Cavill doesn't really get any sort of special send off, this is just another episode of the show in that sense. It will be hard to watch someone else in the role given just how good a job he did, but I guess we'll see. You can tell the biggest struggle this season was changing book stuff while also trying to course correct back to the books at times too which made for strange, sudden story turns this season. Production values got a big boost though.

Lol what a clown. The most obvious answer is usually correct. The beloved star of the show is leaving. He is being replaced by a C Tier actor who has a decent amount of negative press as “not a great guy” stemming from a previous high profile relationship. 

That and that alone is the single driving force between the drop in viewership. Being a fair drop off from how fun S1 was coming in a distant second. 

This show is fine. It's occasionally good. It's rarely, if ever, great.

The handwringing about Cavill and his insistence on holding truth to the source material is bizarre. The Lord of the Rings is probably the most successful adaptation of fantasy content and there's no fantasy series that's held in as high regard in terms of the literary or cultural value. Yet the movies are NOT just straight adaptations of the book, there are many large cuts, changes, additions, etc. And yes there are of course Tolkien heads who remain disappointed in the movies, but I don't think it's reasonable for someone to say that those movies were anything other than wildly successful  adaptations.

So again, if someone can make LotR movies that don't use the books as gospel and have them be great, it's unlikely that the show isn't hitting because it's not following the books rigidly. It's because the show... isn't that great? Or maybe Cavill isn't as great as a draw as dudes online seem to think, given that he's not putting asses in seats as Superman or Geralt? Who knows.

I think Cavill is the draw in this instance. This season isn’t any better or worse than S2 and even S1 turned a lot of people off with its timeline jumping but both were still massively successful. I think Cavill leaving moved a lot of people into “eh if he’s gone then what’s the point” 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:59 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There were some unsubstantiated reports that Cavill's behavior and attitude towards women staff members on the production team was disdainful or dismissive, but there was never any "real" evidence presented.

The reports were based on him arguing with the showrunner about their deviation from the plot, she apparently got mad he went over her head during filming of S2. In the end it seemed more like a showrunner mad that they had less power than the star.

i just watched the final episodes, and yeah, end this shit. Cavill was probably correct to be fed up and ultimately leave. 

I’ll never understand why showrunners feel the need to take a property fans love and put their grubby fingerprints all over it. Wheel of Time is another one massacred by a showrunner who supposedly loves it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The first season is pretty good.

I actually think season 2 is better, though more uneven.

The first episode of season 2 is what I wish the entire series was. Just Geralt doing Geralt shit and getting into hijinks. The story becomes immensely less interesting the more it tries to go into the grand "who can rape Ciri first" conspiracy realm, which is the same way I felt about the books. I just want someone to make a monster-of-the-week show about Geralt and Yennifer, like a high-fantasy version of the first few seasons of Supernatural or the X-Files.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is a consistent theme of the books on which the TV series is based.

Both the TV series and the games significantly tone down the more...troublesome aspects of the novels.

I had no idea. Maybe I'll pass on this all together. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I had no idea. Maybe I'll pass on this all together. 

Yeah there's a whole plotline in the books about how Ciri's dad wants to impregnate her, it's gross as fuck. I imagine the show will not touch that one.

• Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah there's a whole plotline in the books about how Ciri's dad wants to impregnate her, it's gross as fuck. I imagine the show will not touch that one.

I mean seriously...

I just looked up some scenes of season 1 on YouTube and I do like what I saw but I don't have Netflix anymore. Oh well thanks for the heads up on the incest ridden books. Jfc.