The Witcher: Season 3 (Volume 1 - June 29, Volume 2 - July 27) - Season 3 Volume 2 Official Trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Season 3 - Official Teaser Trailer, Volume 1 (5 episodes) debuts on June 29, Volume 2 (3 episodes) debuts on July 27
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Season 3 (Volume 1 - June 29, Volume 2 - July 27) - Official Trailer

I hope this season has at least a semi satisfying close to the current arc so I don’t have to feel bad about pretending it doesn’t exist after this season. Kinda like how Into the Borderlands wrapped up pretty much everything after two seasons then for some reason had a third season haha

21 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I hope this season has at least a semi satisfying close to the current arc so I don’t have to feel bad about pretending it doesn’t exist after this season. Kinda like how Into the Borderlands wrapped up pretty much everything after two seasons then for some reason had a third season haha

Not sure how they could do this given they're in the middle of adapting the book series. This season (season 3) will likely finish adapting book 3, Blood of Elves and move in to adapting book 4, Time of Contempt. There's still 3 more books to adapt after book 4 for a total of 7 books (I'm excluding Season of Storms since that came out much later and takes place between books 1+2). 

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not sure how they could do this given they're in the middle of adapting the book series. This season (season 3) will likely finish adapting book 3, Blood of Elves and move in to adapting book 4, Time of Contempt. There's still 3 more books to adapt after book 4 for a total of 7 books (I'm excluding Season of Storms since that came out much later and takes place between books 1+2). 

You're probably right, but remember that the whole reason Cavill bailed was that he was unhappy with how much the showrunners want to deviate from the books. And I imagine they'll be deviating even more in future seasons without Cavill there to push back on it. 

• True 1

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're probably right, but remember that the whole reason Cavill bailed was that he was unhappy with how much the showrunners want to deviate from the books. And I imagine they'll be deviating even more in future seasons without Cavill there to push back on it. 

Unless they're completely reinventing the entirety of the story, there'll still be 3 more books' worth of material to adapt so it will require more seasons either way and there's no easy stopping point in the story regardless if I recall anyway. I mean, this is when things begin to pick up, not slow down, narratively speaking.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first episode tonight. There’s a couple fight scenes that are fantastic. It’s nothing new but I love the particular way they use slow Mo with the fight choreography. 

Had to brush up on a bit of the lore I had forgotten about after. The show has a long “previously on” but I’d watch a longer YouTube summary of the first two seasons. There’s a lot I forgot about. 

Simultaneously so happy to be back in this world and so utterly depressed that Cavill is leaving it. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

A great first five episodes, though that fifth episode doubling back on itself so many times was a bit much. I know books fans are pretty unhappy with this adaptation but this felt like a pretty strong season so far for The Witcher, which was never more than B-tier dark medieval fantasy anyway. This clearly had the biggest budget yet and it shows. Everyone was great in this season as well but man Cavill is really good this season. It's going to be hard to watch Liam Hemsworth play him. I hope he's taking notes. 

I'm surprised more here aren't watching? Is it because even though this season has Henry Cavill you know he won't be in future seasons?

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

A great first five episodes, though that fifth episode doubling back on itself so many times was a bit much. I know books fans are pretty unhappy with this adaptation but this felt like a pretty strong season so far for The Witcher, which was never more than B-tier dark medieval fantasy anyway. This clearly had the biggest budget yet and it shows. Everyone was great in this season as well but man Cavill is really good this season. It's going to be hard to watch see Liam Hemsworth play him. I hope he's taking notes. 

I'm surprised more here aren't watching? Is it because even though this season has Henry Cavill you know he won't be in future seasons?

IMO, so far, it’s the best season. Feels the least “all over the place” compared to the others.

• True 1

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Oh - I watched it in its entirety.

I just have nothing really substantial to say about it other than it's just "fine" though that single-shot combat sequence that took place in Shaerrawedd the first episode was fantastically-executed!

I will agree with @Spork3245 that at least so far this season does genuinely appear to be more cohesive in its narrative approach.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

IMO, so far, it’s the best season. Feels the least “all over the place” compared to the others.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I will agree with @Spork3245 that at least so far this season does genuinely appear to be more cohesive in its narrative approach.

Yeah, I'd agree with these. A pretty inelegant split/cliffhanger but we won't have to wait long at least.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Season 3 (Volume 1 - June 29, Volume 2 - July 27) - Official Trailer #2
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher: Season 3 (Volume 1 - June 29, Volume 2 - July 27) - Season 3 Volume 2 Official Trailer
58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Knowing they’re fucking this up so bad the lead actor left has made me not want to watch Season 3 at all. Even if Netflix cancels the show before Helmsworth takes over the role that still leaves everything unresolved. 

Best part is they're apparently going to be a lot more source material accurate in season 4. 🫠

On 7/10/2023 at 1:20 AM, Greatoneshere said:

A great first five episodes, though that fifth episode doubling back on itself so many times was a bit much. I know books fans are pretty unhappy with this adaptation but this felt like a pretty strong season so far for The Witcher, which was never more than B-tier dark medieval fantasy anyway. This clearly had the biggest budget yet and it shows. Everyone was great in this season as well but man Cavill is really good this season. It's going to be hard to watch Liam Hemsworth play him. I hope he's taking notes. 

Yes, although I plan on watching once the last episodes are out at some point. I’m not in a rush. I’m skeptical of the show going forward. 

Edit: I’ve never read the books so I’m unaware of deviations from it unless I read them online. I have played all 3 of the games. 

I plan on giving season 4 a shot assuming critics and everyone here doesn’t slam it as completely terrible. Cavill carried so many scenes in the first two seasons. I’m curious how they’re going to pull this off. Did anyone watch the prequel mini series? I didn’t either. 

• True 1

I still think the books are mostly not very good, so I don't get the fury over changing shit (there are a LOT of "oof" things in the books, especially concerning Siri, like her own father wanting to impregnate her), so I don't treat the books like some sacrosanct pillar of literature.

11 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Did anyone watch the prequel mini series? I didn’t either. 

I watched the animated prequel movie starring Vesemir - Nightmare of the Wolf, and that was pretty good! I also did watch The Witcher: Blood Origin (the prequel mini-series) and it was fine and fun. Not great, but not bad either.

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wait...wtf? Where does that plot point go in the books?

Nowhere (thankfully), but there's all kinds of creepy shit like that throughout.

For some reason in the 90's/00's fantasy authors thought they had to get super taboo and racy with everything, and basically every plot point involving Ciri throughout the books is basically about someone trying to rape her. The whole thing is fucking cringe.

I do like Blood of Elves, which is the first book in the series and mostly what the first season is based on (and they kind of butchered imo), but the rest of the books are pulpy trash. To me, people getting upset that the show is deviating from the books is like getting upset that a Twilight movie deviated from the books. I don't really care. There's nowhere to go but up. Deviate away. The value in the books is maintaining the feeling of the world

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And the games are infinitely better than either the books or the shows, so in reality just stick with playing them anyway!

The most hysterical thing is the terrible deal that the cd projeauthor of the books got from CD Projekt because of how unknown the books were.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I watched the animated prequel movie starring Vesemir - Nightmare of the Wolf, and that was pretty good! I also did watch The Witcher: Blood Origin (the prequel mini-series) and it was fine and fun. Not great, but not bad either.

I watched the animated prequel and enjoyed it. I forgot about that!

• Halal 1